Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 08:39 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,693 times

Advertisements

Some detail on your geographic options would be helpful, i.e. - eastern/western US, are Canada and international destinations an option? As noted by a previous poster, elevation makes a big difference, but you also want to consider the humidity levels. That said, the eastern side of the continent is much more humid than the west and many western mountain areas are quite cool in the summer at higher elevations. We generally head north and west to avoid the dog days of summer here in Maryland where the temp/humidity can be a bear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 09:45 AM

269 posts, read 1,070,131 times
It would help if you'd give some guidance about budget, interests, ages, etc.

Maine, Vermont/New Hampshire are two of my favorites.

Quebec/Montreal are reasonably cool.

Anywhere in the mountains. Berkshires, Smokies, Blue Ridge, Rockies, even central Mexico -- Oaxaca is terrific.

Vancouver. Alaska -- take a cruise there, it's huge fun! In fact, I'm going to make that my #1 suggestion, since it's great for all ages and there is a wide price range, and it's ten times more fun than you might think. If you cruise out of Vancouver you can add that and Victoria as part of the trip.

Scandinavia (also good for cruises since so much is on the water). I did a Baltic cruise in early summer and it's one of my favorite trips ever. Make sure you get at least two days in St. Petersburg!

Banff/Lake Louise if you like nature.

San Francisco.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:20 PM

809 posts, read 3,569,303 times
Thanks for the suggestions. To answer your questions:

Budget: $2,000 - $3,000
Length of trip: 7ish days
Ages: We are 27 and 32, no kids
Interests: pubs/beer drinking, sight seeing, good food, good weather, exploring the history in a city

Australia is probably too far considering the length of the trip. I'd prefer an International location and a place where we can get a good deal on a flight from Houston. I'm just looking for suggestions and I'll figure out the flight costs, etc.

Thanks! I appreciate your suggestions. Keep 'em coming

Old 05-31-2009, 09:10 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Just keep this calculation in mind - each 1,000 foot accent equals 3.5 degree reduction in temperature from surrounding areas.

High altitude is the key to cool weather.
Flagstaff, Arizona: 7000+ feet in altitude, rarely gets above 85 in summer

Guatamala City: 5000 feet in altitude where I needed a coat there last November. Even higher altitude areas around the country.

Quito, Ecuador: 9500 feet in altitude, the city of eternal Spring, 15 miles from the Equator but you'll need a sweater at night. Much of Ecuador is high altitude, a great place to vacation.

Argentina or Chile: Seasons are reversed. Summer here, winter there.
But perhaps a little too cold, depending on where you go down there.

Bolivia: Some really high altitude areas there. La Paz and Lake Titicaca at 12,500 feet high will literally take your breath away!

Peru/Cuzco: Fabulous ruins to be seen there. At 11,000 feet up, bring along a jacket though.

Here, if in the South, many think North to cool off. Try going South, for a change, to cool off. The North is way too unpredictable! It can zoom up to 100 degrees in the Dakota's in summertime. And hot sticky, humid weather can arise anywhere in the North and East Coasts. Even along the West Coast, it can pop up into the 90's in the summertime, including San Francisco.

South America would be much more predictable. I've experienced it a number of times to escape the heat of Las Vegas. South, I go!

Old 06-01-2009, 12:18 AM

44,624 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. To answer your questions:

Budget: $2,000 - $3,000
Length of trip: 7ish days
Ages: We are 27 and 32, no kids
Interests: pubs/beer drinking, sight seeing, good food, good weather, exploring the history in a city

Australia is probably too far considering the length of the trip. I'd prefer an International location and a place where we can get a good deal on a flight from Houston. I'm just looking for suggestions and I'll figure out the flight costs, etc.

Thanks! I appreciate your suggestions. Keep 'em coming
With this budget a 7 day Alaska cruise would be ideal and fit your criteria. Unpack once, enjoy the sights, the history, the entertainment, the food, the various drinks and beautiful weather that time of the year.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:31 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Friends don't let friends take cruises to Alaska. Fly on up to Anchorage and grab a map and hop in a rental and drive south, north, or east and you'll have a grand old time! This is the real Alaska than what the cruise ships show you. In southeast you only see a small portion of Alaska and they want you to shop in the stores they own. This way you are on your own itinerary and you can see a bunch of Alaska.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:40 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Try Canada...Montreal, Vancouver, or Banff.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:48 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,922,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Friends don't let friends take cruises to Alaska. Fly on up to Anchorage and grab a map and hop in a rental and drive south, north, or east and you'll have a grand old time! This is the real Alaska than what the cruise ships show you. In southeast you only see a small portion of Alaska and they want you to shop in the stores they own. This way you are on your own itinerary and you can see a bunch of Alaska.
I would normally suggest a cruise as well but in your case it appears that warptman hit it on the head. You'll be able to get into the communities a little more if you actually spend a night in there. The tourists usually vacate most of the smaller places in the evening and you can really get to know the community and the locals this way. Well within your budget.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:51 PM

563 posts, read 2,569,881 times
My suggestion is Nova Scotia. I have always wanted to go there and it appears it would have the cooler temperature you desire. Also, lot of towns and things to see, different roads and trails to take. Lots of history. Pubs galore in different towns. I had the maps and books and the routes all worked out. At the time, I even had a motorcycle that I considered making the trip on (along with my father on his bike). Right now, just waiting on the time and money to take the trip. I thought about driving up from NY but also tossed around the idea of taking a ferry from Maine. Your interests and what you want to do seem to mesh with my wife and I. It was very intriguing to me. I thought we would have a good time there. You should look into it.

Heres an idea--You could take a flight to Portland Maine, hang around and see that area for a day or so, and then take the ferry from Portland, Maine to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. Depending on if you rent a car in the US or Canada, I think there are a few ferry companies that go between Maine and Nova Scotia. One of them, I forget the departure point, but you can take your car on it. Another is a high speed ferry for people only I think. ITs been a while since I looked into it. Now I'm interested again

Old 06-03-2009, 02:32 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
$2-3,000 to spend?

Do you realize if you cooled down in South America, say Ecuador, for those 7 days, you could stay in 4 and 5-star hotels evey night and eat like a king!
And have plenty of money left over to bring back a suitcase full of goodies from the Indian market in Otavalo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel