Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 02:47 PM

879 posts, read 2,870,341 times

Advertisements

I'm going to Scotland via London this fall and it's the first time I will have ever traveled "single" (my husband died last year) and not for work. I have worked in Scotland and have friends, but I'm doing London for three days after I leave Scotland. I've read an earlier thread on London with great ideas as to what to do.

However, I'm a little concerned about doing London alone for three days. Are there any tour guides that you can recommend or that you would avoid?
Private tour guides vs tour groups?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 06:23 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,140,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschilicook View Post
I'm going to Scotland via London this fall and it's the first time I will have ever traveled "single" (my husband died last year) and not for work. I have worked in Scotland and have friends, but I'm doing London for three days after I leave Scotland. I've read an earlier thread on London with great ideas as to what to do.

However, I'm a little concerned about doing London alone for three days. Are there any tour guides that you can recommend or that you would avoid?
Private tour guides vs tour groups?
London is VERY easy to navigate, though admittedly I haven't done it on my own. I try to stay away from organized tours of cities that are easy to get around because I find that they want to spend too much time at places I get bored with and too little time in places I have loved.

I've been to London a few times and my all-time favorite tour is The Big Brown Bus tour. You can buy your tickets at nearly every corner near the main attractions, get on and stay on (and listen to the fun facts) or get on and off all day as they drop you off at the major tourist destinations. I've been on nearly all of the tour buses, but once we found TBBB, we never went on another. They have a great tour of the changing of the guard so if you can, make sure you take TBBB on the day there is a changing of the guard ceremony.

Also, buy a copy of Rick Steve's book on London and follow his advice (and self-guided tours). His advice about the Tower of London was spot-on and we had a great time.

Go to London with a plan. Take TBBB tour on one of the days you are there. On the other days, take the tube around and see what you missed (or want to spend more time at). Of all the cities I visited in Europe, London and Paris are the easiest to get around. London makes it even easier since everything is in English! When you get there, you can take mini tours of places you are visiting...like the Globe theater for example.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:34 AM

83 posts, read 324,135 times
Years ago, I did a couple London Walk tours. They were very affordable and offered some interesting views of London. One covered Legal London and showed where the various bar associations were that barristers have to belong to. One thing I particularly remember is a garden the guide showed us. In the garden is a statue with a stone book that is open. In the book is written barristers were once children too. I thought it pretty neat. I checked and, the company is still going strong. Tours are now L7. You can find their webpage at www.walks.com or www.londonwalks.com. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel