U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 04:13 PM

14,874 posts, read 38,072,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton1 View Post
i think the 3-1-1 policy is for checked baggage if i can remember it. never heard anything about carryon baggage since 8-10-06.
NO NO NO!!! The 3-1-1 IS FOR CARRY-ON baggage. Go to the TSA website I posted. It is on there. Plus the fact I've done it MANY times in the last month. You CAN take liquids on your CARRY-ON as long as they are 3oz or less UNLESS it is baby formula or medication (and a few other items allowed due to medical conditions).

As for your CHECKED baggage you can pack the whole dadgum suitcase full of gallon size bottles of tequila and it is okay.

Here, I'll make it easy for you. This is STRAIGHT from the TSA website on 3-1-1:

3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3 ounce bottle or less; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3 oz. container size is a security measure.

Consolidate bottles into one bag and X-ray separately to speed screening.

Last edited by momof2dfw; 09-06-2007 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 08:30 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,101,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Kitten View Post
ok, they said stuff in a 3 oz bottle or smaller is OK. what if the bottle size isn't marked? I bought a bag of bottles, in Taret the other day, that were specifically called "travel bottles, or carry-on bottles" and had a picture of a plane flying, on the packaging.. hehe. anyways, there's all sorts of little bottles n there, different sizes and shapes. with no labels, and already empty (how helpful!) ....one or two of the bottles in there, look questionable to me, as to being over 3 oz. .... how do I know? how does security know?

Also, (I'm really attached to my lotion). Can I have 2 of the empty bottles with my lotion in them? as long as they are under 3 oz, ..or is that bending the rules and bringing 6 oz of lotion with !! ..what would stop a terrorist or someone from doing that too with some blow-up-able chemical?

I need to know, I'm flying on Friday the 14th ~ and none of the Frontier Airlines websites or the TSA websites will give me "those" answers particularly!
A standard shot glass holds 1.5 oz liquid. Fill your little bottle with water, then pour it in the glass. If you have more than 2 shot glasses full, it's too big. Or use a liquid measuring cup. Yes, you may have more than one little bottle of a substance. That's one reason this idea is so ridiculous. What's to keep 4 people from traveling on the same plane, each with a baggie full of a dangerous substance in multiple bottles? Makes no sense to me. However I really don't want to have to start checking bags again-we travel light to avoid the hassle of waiting at the carousel, losing luggage and standing in line to check our bags.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:58 PM

13,386 posts, read 41,514,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
However I really don't want to have to start checking bags again-we travel light to avoid the hassle of waiting at the carousel, losing luggage and standing in line to check our bags.
I hear ya.
Carrying on my little backpack has worked for me for many, many years; it fits under the seat in front of me if necessary.
I'd hate to go back to checking luggage.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:15 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,101,461 times
We spent 2 weeks in Japan in May, and our friend and tour guide warned us there would be a lot of walking with luggage, storing it in lockers and stowing it on trains. We each took a carry-on plus a tote and washed clothes twice. I did buy a can of hairspray once I got there, but otherwise we had everything we needed. And no waiting! We are going on a cruise in 2 weeks (hurricanes pemitting) and plan to do the same thing.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:28 PM

326 posts, read 386,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
NO NO NO!!! The 3-1-1 IS FOR CARRY-ON baggage. Go to the TSA website I posted. It is on there. Plus the fact I've done it MANY times in the last month. You CAN take liquids on your CARRY-ON as long as they are 3oz or less UNLESS it is baby formula or medication (and a few other items allowed due to medical conditions).
Are you sure about this? because i do not seem to remember hearing about liquids and gels being allowed in carry on baggage. I shall have to do some hard research about this, because i honestly never heard anything about liquids and gels being allowed through the airport, even in 3 ounce or smaller containers.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:26 PM

436 posts, read 1,228,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
What is really kind of funny and recenlty Saturday Night Live did a skit on this and it was soooooo true. They only allow liquids in amounts of 3oz as they said some things can be mixed to become toxic or make makeshift bombs. Like 5 oz of this and 5 oz of that mixed can be bad. So what says that 3 oz is good and 4 oz is bad? What keeps 3 passangers from sitting beside each other each getting their designated 3 oz liquid out and mixing it up to become 9 oz? LOL!!!
I loved that skit too! I travel a lot and going through security makes me do a mental eye roll sometimes (because they're probably strip search me if I did a real eye roll...) What if I mixed three items of 3 oz. a piece... What if someone brings a solid or powder through security and then makes something bad if you mix it with water you buy from concessions? I mean, the possibilities are endless. Surely if the bad guys are planning something else, it's not going to be through airport security. We're jumping through all these hoops for the illlusion of safety. It's just silly. But it makes for a great SNL skit.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:52 PM

3,617 posts, read 9,496,387 times
Quote:
Are you sure about this? because i do not seem to remember hearing about liquids and gels being allowed in carry on baggage. I shall have to do some hard research about this, because i honestly never heard anything about liquids and gels being allowed through the airport, even in 3 ounce or smaller containers.
Gezz Triton, go read the TSA bulletins in this thread or in the links that have been provided. The 3-1-1 rule is for carryon baggage. There is no limitation on liquids or gels, or even sharp pointy objects in checked bags. If you happen to forget you are carrying your Crocodile Dundee pocket knife through security they will politely tell you to toss it or check it.

There is a list of items that are prohibited from being taken on a plane checked or carryon, but this list is very small and is only the most dangerous kinds of things like explosives, corrosive liquids like acids etc, and pressurized canisters of flammable gases.

TSA will also prohibit some non listed items that they feel are too volatile to allow onboard or might present a threat to other passenger's bags. I sat next to a man on his way to Israel who had packed meat in his checked bag in separate vacuum sealed bags. TSA felt that they were not strong enough to prevent possible punctures in route and had him throw it away because they felt it might leak onto other passenger's bags in the plane hold.

Each airport is a little different in how they interpret the rules, but on the whole they are pretty good about the carryon basics. btw, they have decided that picante sause is a liquid and cannot be carried through security. They debated a long time on that. I had 4 security agents arguing the case better than I could that it was food, not a liquid. But, alas, the supervisor vetoed them all and my lunch was tossed out.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:22 AM

13,386 posts, read 41,514,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
We're jumping through all these hoops for the illlusion of safety. It's just silly. But it makes for a great SNL skit.
Exactly.
It's security-theater window-dressing--and our tax dollars are paying for it.
How much do they screen the cargo going into the belly of the plane?
What about the surveillance (or lack of it) on the grounds of the airport?
I don't blame the TSA people. It's their higher-ups. They want us to be afraid and they want to appear to be doing something productive.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:52 AM

14,874 posts, read 38,072,658 times
Quote:
YES! I AM DEAD SURE I AM CORRECT!!!! GEEZ! I posted links to the TSA so you can do some "hard research" and see for yourself AND I copied the EXACT words on the TSA site. The TSA is the government agency responsible so I'm pretty sure that website is the right place to look

I do fly often and will be off again in a little while on an international flight (again) and will be packing liquids in my carry-on. Heck I don't even take my liquid foundation makeup out of my cosmetics bag and put it in a ziploc and have never had a problem. I"ve also had to carry-on my daughters asthma meds along w/ her nebulizer (a nice size piece of medical equipment) and all of the liquids meds that go along with it.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:29 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,114,613 times
Yes momof2dfw is right. I am very suprised that you didnt know this. It was on the news for a while back when they first started that and anybody that flys should know this. Each person can have 3 ounces of liquids,gels,etc. You have to put it in a small bag. A lot of people know this rule but just forget to put all there stuff in a bag. I always see a lot of people putting liquids in small bags from their bags because they forgot. They will remind you before you go through security and will provide small bags if you need one.I fly all the time and most of the time i put all of my liquids,gels,etc. in my suitcase and just carry a small carry-on bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or