Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 07:44 AM

41,746 posts, read 74,732,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
JMO.........but if passengers just checked all their luggage with exception of diaper bag, breifcase/laptop or hand bag...lines at security would move much swifter and I would be able to deplane much swifter
And if the airlines weren't so good at misplacing checked luggage, more people wouldn't feel forced to carry on so much stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 09:23 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,881,135 times
Default What about travelling with baby- bottles??

I am flying domestically at the end of the month but have an 8 month old that will of course want formula at some point during the trip. I am assuming they will not allow premixed bottles, so am I expected to just buy water in the airport or what?

If anyone h as been through this, would appreciate input.

thanks!!

Old 09-06-2007, 12:56 AM

326 posts, read 467,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
I am flying domestically at the end of the month but have an 8 month old that will of course want formula at some point during the trip. I am assuming they will not allow premixed bottles, so am I expected to just buy water in the airport or what?

If anyone h as been through this, would appreciate input.

thanks!!
I am afraid they will not allow premixed or regular baby bottles. They probably will not even let you buy water at the airport either. If you really want to bring liquids and gels, including baby milk, you are far better off either driving, or taking the train. Travelling by air has become a mirror image of travel by prison bus, and my guess is; it will only get worse. In fact, my guess also is; it is but a matter of time before all carryon baggage is permanently banned and passengers ordered to check everything including personal items (keys, purses, wallets, credit cards!) or worse, before the FBI and other federal authorities order an all out ban on air travel.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:32 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,881,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triton1 View Post
I am afraid they will not allow premixed or regular baby bottles. They probably will not even let you buy water at the airport either. If you really want to bring liquids and gels, including baby milk, you are far better off either driving, or taking the train. Travelling by air has become a mirror image of travel by prison bus, and my guess is; it will only get worse. In fact, my guess also is; it is but a matter of time before all carryon baggage is permanently banned and passengers ordered to check everything including personal items (keys, purses, wallets, credit cards!) or worse, before the FBI and other federal authorities order an all out ban on air travel.
Just got back not too long ago, and on the way there, noone said anything about the premixed ones or the ones with just water. On the way back however, they poured out the ones with water. I was able to buy bottle of water in the airport, and as matter of fact, there was a drinks machine right by the gate that had water in it. The security person did mention they have just recently passed ever more regulations, whereas if you're get singled out to have your bags searched, they can actually put something inside the formula (powder as well), to test it to make sure it IS in fact formula. I was in Atlanta and Minneapolis airports.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:42 AM

27,246 posts, read 27,310,999 times
Im guessing all airports are different. I saw a woman with small ice pack once (that blue gel thing) and they held up the line waiting for an answer as to whether she could keep it or not. They finally pulled her to the side so the rest of us could get through and who knows what happened from there.Yet there was one time I completely forgot there was a nail file in my purse, and didnt even realize it until I got to Oklahoma City....and found it there!

Old 09-06-2007, 11:02 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,707,787 times
You can carry a nail file now and nail clippers. Things have changed a few times. You can also carry baby bottles and if you or your child have a medically required diet then your doctor can write a letter and it can go thru. Same goes for any required med if it can not be filled in a 3oz or smaller container. You can carry more than the one quart size ziploc full of meds also. You can't carry multiple ziplocs of different things but you can meds. Then you can have one quart size ziploc of other liquid items. You can also buy water at the airport or a coke and food and take it on the plane. I don't even take my liquid makeup out of my makeup bag and have had no problems at all in any airport.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:16 AM

Here is what is on the TSA website as of right now:
TSA | Transportation Security Administration | 3-1-1 on Air Travel

"Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula and food, breast milk, and juice are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint."

Further:

To ensure the health and welfare of certain air travelers, in the absence of suspicious activity or items, greater than 3 ounces of the following liquids, gels and aerosols are permitted through the security checkpoint in reasonable quantities for the duration of your itinerary (all exceptions must be presented to the security officer in front of the checkpoint):

Baby formula, breast milk, and juice
All prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including KY jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes;
Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition;
Life-support and life-sustaining liquids such as bone marrow, blood products, and transplant organs;
Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids; and,
Gels or frozen liquids needed to cool disability or medically related items used by persons with disabilities or medical conditions.
You are allowed reasonable amounts over 3 ounces of the items above in your carry-on baggage, but you will need to perform the following:

Separate these items from the liquids, gels, and aerosols in your quart-size and zip-top bag.
Declare you have the items to one of our Security Officers at the security checkpoint.
Present these items for additional inspection once reaching the X-ray. These items are subject to additional screening.
We have also taken steps to ensure the security of the boarding areas after you pass through our security checkpoints. Therefore, any liquid, gel or aerosol, such as coffee or soda, purchased in the secure area beyond the security checkpoint is allowed aboard your plane. Please note that if you have a layover and are re-screened at your connecting airport the current rules (see above) for carry-ons apply. For more details, get the 3-1-1 for carry-ons.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:20 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,343,039 times
ok, they said stuff in a 3 oz bottle or smaller is OK. what if the bottle size isn't marked? I bought a bag of bottles, in Taret the other day, that were specifically called "travel bottles, or carry-on bottles" and had a picture of a plane flying, on the packaging.. hehe. anyways, there's all sorts of little bottles n there, different sizes and shapes. with no labels, and already empty (how helpful!) ....one or two of the bottles in there, look questionable to me, as to being over 3 oz. .... how do I know? how does security know?

Also, (I'm really attached to my lotion). Can I have 2 of the empty bottles with my lotion in them? as long as they are under 3 oz, ..or is that bending the rules and bringing 6 oz of lotion with !! ..what would stop a terrorist or someone from doing that too with some blow-up-able chemical?

I need to know, I'm flying on Friday the 14th ~ and none of the Frontier Airlines websites or the TSA websites will give me "those" answers particularly!

Old 09-06-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Kitten View Post
ok, they said stuff in a 3 oz bottle or smaller is OK. what if the bottle size isn't marked? I bought a bag of bottles, in Taret the other day, that were specifically called "travel bottles, or carry-on bottles" and had a picture of a plane flying, on the packaging.. hehe. anyways, there's all sorts of little bottles n there, different sizes and shapes. with no labels, and already empty (how helpful!) ....one or two of the bottles in there, look questionable to me, as to being over 3 oz. .... how do I know? how does security know?

Also, (I'm really attached to my lotion). Can I have 2 of the empty bottles with my lotion in them? as long as they are under 3 oz, ..or is that bending the rules and bringing 6 oz of lotion with !! ..what would stop a terrorist or someone from doing that too with some blow-up-able chemical?

I need to know, I'm flying on Friday the 14th ~ and none of the Frontier Airlines websites or the TSA websites will give me "those" answers particularly!

I have the similiar kind of bottles and they are just fine. They pretty well know how large a bottle is that holds 3oz. I'm also addicted to hand lotion and have a small travel size in my purse at all times and never had a problem.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:51 PM

326 posts, read 467,610 times
i think the 3-1-1 policy is for checked baggage if i can remember it. never heard anything about carryon baggage since 8-10-06.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel