U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 09:53 AM

176 posts, read 480,779 times

Advertisements

Whats the best route to take if your driving from Maine to LV and approx how long will it take? Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 10:14 AM

1,009 posts, read 3,868,918 times
You sure are "shaking the tree" with numerous postings. How about at least trying to help yourself before posting . . Google Maps > Get Directions.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:26 AM

176 posts, read 480,779 times
Wow did'nt know you cant post on a forum hmmm. Obviously I know google maps I ment whats the most scenic route you know there are other routes.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:50 AM

15,370 posts, read 37,281,452 times
don't mind the turtle.....he seems to be a snapping turtle....

can't help you from Maine BUT once to get down to PA...pick up I70 straight thru to central Utah...turn right on I-15 and straight downhill to Las Vegas.
I left Atlantic City at 7:30 in the AM hit Terre Haute IN at 10 pm. next day to Hays KS [stopped there because of snow.] then on to Denver and then Las Vegas the next day....easily doable in 3-3.5 days from Maine I would think.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:13 AM

12,686 posts, read 34,564,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
don't mind the turtle.....he seems to be a snapping turtle....

can't help you from Maine BUT once to get down to PA...pick up I70 straight thru to central Utah...turn right on I-15 and straight downhill to Las Vegas.
I left Atlantic City at 7:30 in the AM hit Terre Haute IN at 10 pm. next day to Hays KS [stopped there because of snow.] then on to Denver and then Las Vegas the next day....easily doable in 3-3.5 days from Maine I would think.
Dyn is still sleepy after a night of setting off fireworks and bingeing on hotdogs. Unless it's a clover leaf, if she turns "right" on I-15 off of I-70 she'll find herself in Salt Lake City. Turn left...south...to get to Las Vegas. What he meant to say is when you come to a fork in the road, take it. :-)

Last edited by Buzz123; 07-04-2009 at 11:41 AM..

Old 07-04-2009, 11:39 AM

The MapQuest route is the closest and also probably the most scenic, although you will hit a loooooong boring stretch across Iowa and Nebraska.

Driving Directions from MA to Las Vegas, NV

If you have plenty of time and really want to see the west, at Iowa City go north and get on I-90 through Big Sky Country, and come down through Yellowstone National Park. That is THE most beautiful place on earth, and around every bend in the road you'll see wondrous sights and many, many critters. Of course, coming from Maine you're probably used to seeing a lot of those critters. On this map you'll see that in the center of the park they take you out the west gate at West Yellowstone, MT., and over to Idaho and I-15 which leads south to Las Vegas. If you still have some time, instead of taking that route, stay on US 89 south, leave the park at the south gate, and go down through Jackson Hole, WY, and past the Grand Tetons. 89 will still bring you to I-15 but through some of the most beautiful scenery in America, and you'll go through Salt Lake City, UT. It will be cooler up thataway too. Jackson, WY, is a great little town to spend some time in too. Don't count on finding a room in or very near Yellowstone unless you book it a year in advance, so if it's getting dark, and you see a vacancy...take it.

Driving Directions from MA to Gardiner, MT

Make sure you keep the tank full at every opportunity here in the west. Gas stations can be as much as 100 miles in between.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:44 AM

Opps! In MapQuest I typed in MA instead of ME. Oh well, you can find your way to the freeway headed west in Mass.

Note there is about an eight hour difference in driving times. If you are stopping and sight seeing, add at least a day, probably two.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Dyn is still sleepy after a night of setting off fireworks and bingeing on hotdogs. Unless it's a clover leaf, if she turns "right" on I-15 off of I-70 she'll find herself in Salt Lake City. Turn left...south...to get to Las Vegas. What he meant to say is when you come to a fork in the road, take it. :-)
if it's a spoon or a knife ignore it

You're right.....or left.....whatever.....

Old 07-04-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Opps! In MapQuest I typed in MA instead of ME. Oh well, you can find your way to the freeway headed west in Mass.
I will refrain from commenting :TAPE:

Old 07-04-2009, 11:56 AM

On the way back...if you're going back, you might take the southern route to see even more of the country. Nice scenery from Vegas through Arizona and New Mexico to Amarillo, TX. You could even stop at the Grand Canyon on the way.

Driving Directions from Las Vegas, NV to Amarillo, TX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel