Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:24 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Another time, in Ft. Lauderdale, FL, I was about 5th in line to check in behind a group of Hispanics, all of whom paid for their rooms with fresh, hundred dollar bills. I was actually surprised that the drug task force didn't raid the place before I left the next morning.

lol? i hope this was a joke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 12:28 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
No, that wasn't a joke. They were mules fresh off the plane from South America and the desk clerk told me they got a similar group every week or so.

Where do you think they "unload" those condoms full of cocaine? At the city park?

Old 03-29-2011, 12:49 PM

135 posts, read 248,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
No kidding.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
"Cheap" isn't a bargain when the bed sucks, the pillows smell, and there's someone else's hair in the bathtub.
And you consider it a "bargain" to pay an extra $40 to rent a fresher pillow for one night? Here's a tip. Carry your own pillow along. How do you feel about renting a car with somebody else's hair in it? Do you check?

Old 03-29-2011, 07:38 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Einstein View Post
I've never had that problem at a Motel 6.
You've been very lucky. Years ago I had a job for about six weeks (before I quit due to the deplorable policies) that put me up at Motel 6's every night. I probably stayed at 30 or so of them, each one worse than the one before. Never again.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I also like any Marriott, but never stay at them now as a form of protest. The entire chain went non-smoking and, even though smoking room availability is not a deal breaker for me, their casual disregard for 25% of potential customer's reveals a lack of concern for their patrons which I just won't support. If they don't want my smoke-stained money, I won't spend it there.
The MINORITY has been over ruled by the MAJORITY of us who don't smoke. To be honest, the smokers ruined it for themselves by being pigs and smoking in non-smoking rooms, or worse yet, setting hotels on fire with careless smoking. The MAJORITY of us are REWARDING Marriott for their smoking policies and using them as our preferred chains. (I'm posting from one right now.)

I hate to break it to you, but over half the hotels in the Hilton family are now completely non-smoking, and I predict that by 2015 they will all be non-smoking.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
And you consider it a "bargain" to pay an extra $40 to rent a fresher pillow for one night? Here's a tip. Carry your own pillow along. How do you feel about renting a car with somebody else's hair in it? Do you check?
I guess you don't travel much. Carry a pillow? Are you for real? I travel bare bones, and am not checking a bag to take a pillow.

And yes, $40 is a bargain for a good nights sleep in a bed with fresh linens, fluffy pillows, clean bathrooms, and no hookers turning tricks in the next room.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I agree Hampton Inn rarely disappoint.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:48 PM

20 posts, read 45,143 times
I have to admit, the two times I had a bad experience there, it was a BAD experience. New Years Eve, and young partiers upstairs--I was given a new room, which turned out to be their humble "bridal suite", but quiet; the other time, yeah, it was bad--stained sheets, rude people at the counter ( a big fat woman who acted like it was my fault) and so I wrote to corporate, and received a free night.

Overall, it is a cheap but reliable booking. I would caution that everyones standards are different: what is obviously "mules" to one person are just ethnic people who don't drive Mercedes, like all those clever white black, or middle eastern criminals who inhabit the Ritz Carlton, or Hilton.

It might be more fair to say that I have seen all types at Motel 6 EXCEPT wealthy people. That said, I have always had a good stay.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:12 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The MINORITY has been over ruled by the MAJORITY of us who don't smoke. To be honest, the smokers ruined it for themselves by being pigs and smoking in non-smoking rooms, or worse yet, setting hotels on fire with careless smoking. The MAJORITY of us are REWARDING Marriott for their smoking policies and using them as our preferred chains. (I'm posting from one right now.)

I hate to break it to you, but over half the hotels in the Hilton family are now completely non-smoking, and I predict that by 2015 they will all be non-smoking.

That's fine. If Marriot wants to do that, it's their right. But, it's also my right to take my business elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel