Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:24 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,387 times

Advertisements

The liquid problem originated in the Philippines. It was terrorist related. Since about '97 PAL had baned liquids and jells from all of its flights. By mixing the correct liquids, a rapidly oxidizing material can be made. Bad news on a plane.
Philippine authorities nabbed 2 Islamists with a laptop in a Manila boarding house. Information on the lap top described the chemistry and possible uses. It also led to arrests in the US associated with the first twin towers attack. I hope this helps. It's not entirely done for jollies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 07:37 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,972,899 times
Very weird story. Too bad that air travel is a must. Unless you dont have to travel for work and you dont like vacationing. I was in OK City a couple weeks ago, sitting at my gate and there was a group of like 8 TSA peeps standing there, with gloves and everything. It was pretty weird. From what i saw they didnt end up doing anything but it made me feel like i was in trouble.

G Man

Old 07-08-2009, 08:22 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
I remember the airline gate agents did the random checks of your carry on possessions, in the year following 9/11, before the TSA got up to speed. What a illogical, disorganized mess that was. They would always check the first passenger to board - I guess under some notion that someone hurring to board must be a terrorist with something to hide.

So it never failed - they call the frequent flyers to board first for "premium boarding". I would walk up, and behold get the cavity search treatment. Gee thanks guys for rewarding your frequent flyers. Makes real sense that a frequent flyer is a terrorist candidate. Idiots.

This is the issue now - TSA is limitied under some "political correctness" doctrine, or just because they hire people that aren't intellegent enough, to not screen for people fitting a proper profile. Other airports in other countries do this - Israel is an expert at it, as they have been doing it for decades. There is a profile that well trained security can obtain from a series of questions, from appearance, from how and where you are traveling to. It's not always fair, but it's better than randomly selecting a 90 year old grandmother for searching. And it's much more effective.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:27 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
gate searches are not uncommon in some other parts of the world. Examples are Cancun, Mexico where people are searched not only at the security checkpoint but also just before boarding at the gate, this also happened in Bangalore, India.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:14 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,433 times
I got pulled aside for a gate screening at National. I couldn't tell you why they picked me, but it was over quickly.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:29 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,937 times
Count me among the masses who will never fly again unless it's the only way to get from point A to point B. Unless I can have Ellen DeGeneres
at security; Antonio Banderas as my cabin attendant (); and Captain Sullenberger in the cockpit. Then I would fly again!! Oh, & I'd
like to sit next to Alaskan Mutt in case of emergency - I know he'd be out in a flash! (I promise not to *** your ear off, A.M.)

Old 07-09-2009, 12:33 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,457,035 times
I would probably get the rubber glove treatment thanks to my beard, except that I have a familial Midwestern rural twang I can trot out at need. The more Ah sound lahk Cletus, the less they reckon Ah'm smart enough'ta cause trouble. Which is a great mistake on their part, but it keeps me from being treated like a felon.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:52 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
TSA are a generally bunch of powertripping idiots. (I have encountered a small handful that were a pleasure.)

I had one guy in Albany, NY require me to put my wallet away into my pocketbook to get through security because he was counting it as a 3rd carry-on.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:41 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,002,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
Count me among the masses who will never fly again unless it's the only way to get from point A to point B. Unless I can have Ellen DeGeneres
at security; Antonio Banderas as my cabin attendant (); and Captain Sullenberger in the cockpit. Then I would fly again!! Oh, & I'd
like to sit next to Alaskan Mutt in case of emergency - I know he'd be out in a flash! (I promise not to *** your ear off, A.M.)
I almost always get an emergency exit row seat. We will get out in a hurry

Old 07-09-2009, 05:32 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
A couple weeks ago I was flying from Baltimore to Manchester, NH, and I had passed all the hoops and hurdles getting through security. I was relaxing with a cup of coffee (purchased at a cafe AFTER security), and a TSA person came over and (politely) asked if I had any liquids still in my cup. When I explained "yes" and said I had purchased it at the stand right nearby, he "requested" that I bring my coffee and follow him... I had no real choice... I asked what they were looking for, and I received no reply... no information, but you know the deal... you argue, you miss your flight... I ended up going to some cart with some other TSA yahoos there in uniform with a bottle with a clear liquid and some litmus strips... they had me take the lid off my coffee (I tried to just give them the coffee and walk away, but that got them a tad upset).

It ended up that they poured some liquid on the strip and waved it over the top of my coffee, looked at it, said thank you... and handed me back my coffee. I was NOT happy, and told them I no longer wanted the coffee - I was not drinking something they had messed with.. I was made to pick up my coffee, which I promptly threw in the trash next to them.

So, what was the deal? Has anyone else had this bizarre incident happen to them? If they have a problem with beverages AFTER security, shut the vendors down... I was given no explanation for their actions.

I truly loathe airline travel now, and just when you think you cannot be harassed and poked and prodded anymore, something like this happens. Does anyone know what bizarre things they are looking for now????
What happened to you is how I justify the expense of flying my own plane. I may pay an enormous amount but the hassle-free trip is just so worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel