Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 04:23 PM

364 posts, read 1,568,334 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for somewhere in the midwest or southeast where I can just go, by myself, and relax for a few days to a week. Just want somewhere where I can be at ease and kind of process all of my thoughts. Trying to figure out some things and would rather do it somewhere other than here. I'm thinking either a beach (but not a spring break style beach) or maybe a cabin in the mountains or something where I can just relax, listen to the sounds of nature, etc. Really have no clue where I want to go. Anyone been in a similar situation where you just wanted to get away from everything for a little while and take a solo trip somewhere? I'm open to all suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 03:44 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
I like Anna Maria Island in Florida for that. It's just south of the Tampa/St. Petersburg area (across the big bridge) and west of Brandenton. It's usually not that crowded and there are a few motels there (more out near the interstate, but within easy driving distance.)

Alternatively, I'd recommend the San Antonio, TX riverwalk. It's pretty crowded on the weekends, but the weekdays are more placid. You can ride the river taxi's or just sit and sip a cool drink in the late afternoon and watch people.

A better alternate would be Cedar Key, FL. It's unhurried, calm and the last mostly undeveloped place on the Gulf Coast of the Sunshine State. It reminds me more of a New England lobster port than anything else and there are enough privately-owned hotels to find accomodations. Try it...you'll like it for quite introspection.

Last edited by stillkit; 07-12-2009 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: Additional comments

Old 07-12-2009, 04:06 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,451,672 times
One place that is just beautiful is the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Mackinac island even bans cars if I am not mistaken. A very serene and beautiful spot. Not cheap though.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:57 PM

845 posts, read 2,742,891 times
I know what you mean. I am getting ready for a long road trip and one of the highlights will be getting away from everybody and just being with me. I have never vacationed alone but I am planning on stopping at several national parks for a few days along the way and just touring and hiking and kayaking by myself. I am a bit scared but thrilled.

I would suggests some of the smaller towns along the Florida panhandle or New Mexico. I will be spending a few days in Moab, UT and that seems like a great beautiful place to get away from the crowds and relax.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:49 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgator View Post
I know what you mean. I am getting ready for a long road trip and one of the highlights will be getting away from everybody and just being with me. I have never vacationed alone but I am planning on stopping at several national parks for a few days along the way and just touring and hiking and kayaking by myself. I am a bit scared but thrilled.

I would suggests some of the smaller towns along the Florida panhandle or New Mexico. I will be spending a few days in Moab, UT and that seems like a great beautiful place to get away from the crowds and relax.

You won't get away from the crowds in Moab during the summer. It's the home of two national parks, Arches and Canyonlands, and it can get pretty busy and bustling.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:14 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
A nice getaway from the hustle of everyday life and from the heat of summer is the High Country of NC. Within that area, I'd recommend Ashe County for a slower pace and more of a getaway. There are many great cabins to choose from in the area.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I was very surprised by Jekyll Island, Georgia. I usually hate and dread those kinds of places, but I found it to be a very laid back and comfortable place. It has a very "no-fuss' atmosphere.

I keep forgetting about Cedar Key, Florida. Yes, I would say that would be a good bet, too.

A little Ohio River town might be interesting, like Marietta Ohio. The Ohio River is one of America's best-kept secrets.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,424 times
[SIZE=3]Hello there![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]For me the Most Romantic Place on the World is Greece. Or in other words, Im planing to get married and to spend the honeymoon there. This is unique time in our lives and I didn’t want to spoil it by making bad choices. So, after searching for hours in the network, great idea came to me as I found really portal gamos | ãÜìïò | GAMOS - GUIDE | ¼ëç ç ÅëëÜäá | ÉÄÁÍÉÊÏÓ ÃÁÌÏÓ | Åêêëçóßåò Thanks to that portal my wedding and honeymoon will take place in Greece. And just imagine the whole romantic atmosphere, sea, sunsets, history... "Mamma mia.."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Amber ))[/SIZE]

Old 07-14-2009, 12:07 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I was very surprised by Jekyll Island, Georgia. I usually hate and dread those kinds of places, but I found it to be a very laid back and comfortable place. It has a very "no-fuss' atmosphere.

I keep forgetting about Cedar Key, Florida. Yes, I would say that would be a good bet, too.
Never been to Cedar Key, but it sounds nice, and I've been to Jekyll and enjoyed it. Where I live, Amelia Island, is pretty mellow too. Our downtown is only a few blocks long, and the beach is beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel