U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 08:46 AM

943 posts, read 2,984,010 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were looking into a trip to either small Town Southern PA, Western MD, West Virginia or the Shenandoah Valley of VA. We could not believe what motels in these locations were charging. A Days Inn for $120, a Super 8 for $95 and a Hampton Inn for about $150. I thought we were in a deep economic recession. How can Motels charge so much?

We have found that if you want to stay in a suburban area near a city, where Priceline (name your own price option) or Hotwire has availability, you can find a nice 3 Star Hotel for a little over $50. I could stay in Raleigh NC at a Marriott using Priceline or Hotwire for cheap but it will cost me $110 to stay in Elkins West VA or Cumberland MD. What gives?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 08:52 AM

13,395 posts, read 42,977,331 times
I don't know what gives. Do you think these places have a tougher time with overhead?
We're going to be paying $120 a night for a Marriot in New Orleans on Halloween weekend, I thought that was pretty good.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:09 PM

15,570 posts, read 27,288,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
My husband and I were looking into a trip to either small Town Southern PA, Western MD, West Virginia or the Shenandoah Valley of VA. We could not believe what motels in these locations were charging. A Days Inn for $120, a Super 8 for $95 and a Hampton Inn for about $150. I thought we were in a deep economic recession. How can Motels charge so much?

We have found that if you want to stay in a suburban area near a city, where Priceline (name your own price option) or Hotwire has availability, you can find a nice 3 Star Hotel for a little over $50. I could stay in Raleigh NC at a Marriott using Priceline or Hotwire for cheap but it will cost me $110 to stay in Elkins West VA or Cumberland MD. What gives?
In this country (at least at this time), businesses have the opportunity to charge whatever they would like for their product or services.

A few weeks ago, I stayed at a phenomenal Staybridge Suites for $40 in Lincoln, NE. That same hotel was over $150/ night on my last trip to Lincoln because the University of Nebraska had a football game that weekend. I stayed in Lincoln last month since economy hotels in Omaha were charging $100+ due to the College World Series.

Raleigh has THOUSANDS of hotel rooms, many of which are vacant on the weekends. They'll sell some of them for a song on Priceline/Hotwire to fill them up.

The towns you mention are SMALL towns with hundreds of rooms and thousands of people trying to stay there. Do remember that you are in the HIGH season for that area. You will not find any deals this time of year. Wait until December and you will get a great deal.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:43 PM

9,803 posts, read 14,945,257 times
location.location,location

supply and demand.

As a midwesterner , I have found motels to be higher heading East and West and cheaper heading South.

We took a 7 day trip in early November to the Ozarks in Arkansas.
The most I paid was $72 on the way down and the other nights were in the $50's and $60's.

(the one I paid $72, the cheaper motel chains I usually stay at were booked due to RR crews in town and a huge funeral the next day which had many out of state people attending)

Old 07-18-2009, 02:27 PM

978 posts, read 1,742,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post

Go to Vegas. You can a room at this time of year for under 30 dollars a night. It's so worth it.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:08 PM

42,835 posts, read 84,122,266 times
Accommodations in small towns have always been more expensive. There's no competition. It's all about supply and demand. I was also appaled when a gas station along the coast in Northern CA was charging about $2.50 when gas everywhere else was under $1, but there's nothing you can do about it if you need gas. There wasn't another one for maaaany many miles.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:43 PM

845 posts, read 2,626,649 times
I am driving across the country and I just finished booking all of my hotels. I am staying at 1 star hotels and on average it is costing me $70 a night. I went on expedia and booked the cheapest hotel in every city and that is what it's costing now, it's pretty crazy. I have to drive by Yellowstone and the Motel 6 there is charging $206 a night. But at least these motels offer free parking and high speed internet, continental breakfast and they are pet friendly. So I guess it's not that bad of a deal.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:52 PM

9,324 posts, read 25,356,029 times
I am sure nobody will care when many of them are closed and out of business in a year or two.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:01 AM

943 posts, read 2,984,010 times
How can a motel have so competition when they can charge $120 for a budget unit when there is so much cheap land, easy zoning, an eager work force that will work for cheap and generally lower costs. You would think that competition would come in and the rates would fall. Their profit margins must be higher than in Las Vegas or Orlando, or other cities with a glut of motels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Accommodations in small towns have always been more expensive. There's no competition. It's all about supply and demand. I was also appalled when a gas station along the coast in Northern CA was charging about $2.50 when gas everywhere else was under $1, but there's nothing you can do about it if you need gas. There wasn't another one for maaaany many miles.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:44 AM

1,396 posts, read 3,208,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
Go to Vegas. You can a room at this time of year for under 30 dollars a night. It's so worth it.
Ha! The cheapest I found was in North LV at a Super 8 for $95, 2 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel