Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 06:07 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,808 times

Advertisements

We are going to be in Prague next week!
what do you recommend to see in Prague?
-any thing(s) to avoid?
-any restaurants to try?
you are welcomed to share your stories and others...
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 09:53 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
The Prague zoo is wonderful (and I am not a zoo person). No tourists there.

Zillions of restaurants. Pick one.

You will be disturbed that there are not less than 20 million tourists in Prague at any given moment, and the entire country has a population of 10 million people.....give yourself some leeway to get out of town. Many beautiful towns in the Czech Republic and none of them are as overtouristed as Prague. All easy to access on the bus.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:58 PM

Aren't you the same person who was going to Moscow in May?

How'd it go?

Old 07-19-2009, 10:30 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Old Town Square is a must, and the Astronomical Clock -- both heavily visited by tourists, but worth a visit. Also check out St. Vitus' Cathedral and the Jewish Quarter (there's at least one centuries-old cemetery) and, of course, the Charles Bridge (especially at night).

Old 07-19-2009, 11:16 PM

That clock.....

Cute clock. I liked it. But the crowds of people gathered around waiting for the clock to open.....when it finally did go off I thought it was pretty anti-climactic....cockadoodledoo. Meh.

The Czech Republic is a gem of a country. Not so keen on the center of Prague. Just way too Disney-esque and with ungodly hordes of visitors in the summer.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:07 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,693,361 times
Cougar, I think you should take me with you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
We are going to be in Prague next week!
what do you recommend to see in Prague?
-any thing(s) to avoid?
-any restaurants to try?
you are welcomed to share your stories and others...
Thanks!

Old 07-20-2009, 03:29 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I love Prague! I was there around Easter and there was a lovely Easter market that I adored in the old town center (near the clock). I am a big fan of the clock but it does get crowded- and I'm sure is even more crowded now in the summer. Still, worth it to me and something I had looked forward to for a long time.

The Jewish quarter is not to be missed. Prague was the first stop of my trip through Eastern Europe and I hit every Jewish museum and site from Prague to Krakow to Budapest to Vienna- and it was by FAR the best. It's basically a museum made up of several synagogues. Plus there's lots of great golem souvenirs for fairly cheap!

I really enjoyed the castle and walking up to the top of the hill through all the little side streets and archways.

We didn't make it to the Kafka museum but I've heard it's good. Also, don't miss the John Lennon wall- and bring sharpies! It's a wall of graffiti that is constantly changing. Most of the graffiti is great and Beatles themed, but some is just tagging.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:56 PM

42 posts, read 123,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I love Prague! Prague was the first stop of my trip through Eastern Europe and I hit every Jewish museum and site from Prague to Krakow to Budapest to Vienna- and it was by FAR the best.
I am glad you love Prague, BUT Prague is NOT an Eastern Europe.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:39 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Ahhh you have come to the right place! I was in Prague about a year ago.

Frist of all, responding to the post above, Prague can be considered as part of Eastern Europe, being part of the former Soviet block.

So many things to see, amongst the standouts:
1.) The historic square with the astronomical clock. We actually stayed just around the corner from there and I always recommend one to stay near all the action in the historic centers of town. You pay a premium for the privlidge, but there is nothing like just leaving your room and walking round the corner to see all the sights, or going out for dinner when everything is quieter. Go up the tower for a great view.
2.) The Prague castle obviously, and the cathedral within it - you can spend a good day there.
3.) Charles Bridge - a huge tourist site but it's enjoyable. The Lennon Wall is just around the corner on the west side.
That's just a small list, there are an assortment of museams and cathedrals. We were only there for three days, could have spent a week there easily.

We also went to an amazing museam of religious art held an old convent - St. Agnes. Truly impressive and not too busy. We also went to a communist museam, small and hokey, but it was fun. We also attended one of the evening ghost tours which was fun, and they also took you on the tour of some of the old cellers and dungeans under the square.

Nothing to avoid except that both the castle and Charles Bridge can get very crowded in the summer. SOmetimes particularly on the roads leading up to the bridge it seems the crowd is just moving you along. Everyone watches the clock tower for the show, but I wasn't really impressed that much with it. One must remember however it's like 600 years old. That is impressive in itself. Resteraunts - we ate most of our dinners at the square and outdoor cafes. They weren't bargains but not that expensive either. We ate dinner twice in an Italian resteraunt, can't remember the name, but as you face the clock it's to the left in that corner of the square. Beer is relatively cheap - and good. Get the original Budwieser and forget that fake American water that shares the same name.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:43 AM

42 posts, read 123,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post

Frist of all, responding to the post above, Prague can be considered as part of Eastern Europe, being part of the former Soviet block.
Wake up! Cold War is over. And forty years of cummunist crap cannot destroy previous thousand years of history!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel