U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 03:30 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,681,612 times

Advertisements

i need to use up my delta miles within the next year and want to go somewhere really interesting and fun as well as far so i get my money's worth. i can use it anywhere within the continetal us or canada so i am thinking of flying to montreal because the flight from los angeles is usually very expensive.

i have been looking into montreal and quebec city, and it seems on other board people say they found quebec city more interesting and enjoyable than montreal. thoughts? how long would you give for time spent in each city? i looked at the weather for march, and it look MISERABLE for someone like me! does it feel as cold as weather.com actually says it is lol? i am thinking of something like this 3 days montreal and 3 days quebec city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 07:00 AM

15,509 posts, read 27,064,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingLA2010 View Post
i have been looking into montreal and quebec city, and it seems on other board people say they found quebec city more interesting and enjoyable than montreal. thoughts? how long would you give for time spent in each city? i looked at the weather for march, and it look MISERABLE for someone like me! does it feel as cold as weather.com actually says it is lol? i am thinking of something like this 3 days montreal and 3 days quebec city.
I spent a week in Montreal after college and had an absolute blast. With a week, you will have to choose what you want to see in either city.

Yes, it will be cold and damp in March. Snow is a distinct possibility.

Quebec City is MUCH smaller than Montreal. I would probably do 4 days in Montreal and two in Quebec.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:28 AM

4,898 posts, read 17,575,564 times
i loved montreal and quebec. i went in summer and it was beautiful---not too hot.
quebec city is old world, quaint, beautiful, fun. montreal is a metropolis --think NYC (cleaner --no offence, NYC is my love)---- gorgeous!
i spent 2-3 days in each
learn some french before you go---just so you dont look like a pompous american. there are more english speakers in montreal than in quebec

Old 07-21-2009, 01:36 PM

17,031 posts, read 28,928,057 times
Both are great cities, QC is a little smaller though so I'd spend more time in Montreal. Wether will be around freezing, but there is plenty to do. Agree that learning some basic french will help especially in QC.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:14 PM

7 posts, read 37,803 times
I just got back from Montreal this afternoon. I grew up there but been living in FLA for 17 yrs. Montreal is extremely diversified and a melting pot for cultures, where as Quebec City is not. You can certainly get by around town with English alone in Montreal. Quebec City is not as forgiving with the english language. I've been to Quebec City many times and would hands down pick Montreal over Quebec City.

Not sure what you're looking for as far as things to do, but Montreal has sooooooo much to offer. From nightlife, to shopping, to museums, to excellent food and dining to history and more. It will be very cold in March however you have the opportunity to travel around town...underground. Their subway system (the metro) can take you all over the city and more impressively is that you don't really need to freeze outdoors since they have "the underground city" where you can literally shop, eat, watch a movie, stroll around, check into a hotel and not have to step foot in the cold. It's really a remarkable city and a very clean one at that. Strong European influence and just a place you'll want to return to.

If you do find yourself visiting MTL during that timeframe, try and join the locals at a Montreal Canadien's hockey game, it'll be an incredible experience.

Cheers!

P.S.... Vancouver is another magical city.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:24 PM

83 posts, read 310,986 times
I just got back from a tour of Eastern Canada that included Montreal and Quebec City. Between the 2, I preferred Quebec City. I spoke with a Canadian in the Toronto Hard Rock Cafe and, he said if you're into the club scene, Montreal is the better choice. If you're not, Quebec City may be. It is smaller and consequently easier to get around. It has some very nice historical sights to see. I particular enjoyed doing a tour of the Citadel. A fort that was built to defend the city against Americans who never attacked the city. The Citadel houses the renowned 22nd Royal French Canadian Regiment. You'll get to learn about the regiment during the tour. One down side depending on how you look it is the Quebec City is more French speaking than Montreal. I think something like 90% of the city is French speaking. Quebec City has some nice views from where the Frontenac Hotel is. However, Montreal has some nice views from the Parc Royal. Montreal also has a biodome where you can see examples of 4 different environmental systems. I know one is artic as a person mentioned seeing penguins there.

If you go in March, the weather will definitely be cold in both cities. They get a lot of snow in both of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel