Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 03:41 PM

943 posts, read 3,148,264 times

Advertisements

On a recent United Airlines Flight, I walked back to the Restroom and waited for it to become available. Sitting in the back was two Flight Attendants who were just sitting there staring into space. I felt sociable so attempted to make some "small talk" with them about the flight. My tone was pleasant, I was dressed well, had a smile on my face and topic of conversation quite innocent, but I was given the cold shoulder. I was not screamed at or told off, the coldness was totally non verbal but there was some real ice in the air.

An hour later the Flight Attendants were out giving people snacks and drinks and they seemed efficient and polite to everyone. It appeared that they were adaquate at their core job description of cabin service and maintaining the safety of the flight.

As part of their job description is making pleasant small talk with the passengers part of expected performance standards? (As long as they were able to take care of other work) If there is such a thing as a Mystery Shopper on an Airplane could Flight Attendants be punished in any way for being cold to someone attempting some small talk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 04:11 PM

351 posts, read 1,868,713 times
Who knows what you may have stumbled into. For all you knew, they may have just had a fight, received bad news, or something else out of the ordinary. That they were sitting in the back, staring into space as passengers were loading is already an indication that something wasn't right: that's usually when attendants are bustling around.

Give them the benefit of the doubt. They pulled it together to attend to passengers during flight.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:21 PM

1,938 posts, read 3,898,965 times
Although airlines would like flight attendants with excellent customer service skills their first priority is passenger safety. I think being chatty with passengers is quite a ways down their priority list.

It may be more of a competitive thing. Everything else being equal, I'd much rather fly with a friendly flight attendant but wouldn't sacrifice lack of safety knowledge for it.

Could always complete a comment card.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:10 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,393,255 times
I don't think it's their responsibility at all when they're in the back of the plane by the crapper. They could be on break. If they are, that means a brief period of time when they are theoretically not required to make nice with a public which they mostly don't like. I can understand that need. There are a lot of people in this world (including a lot of the flying public) you'd have to pay me big money to be polite to. The last thing I would do is be nice to them on my own time.

What I don't understand is why anyone wanted to make small talk with stewardesses to begin with. No one wants to be there, and thanks to our precious airline executives, passengers and stewardesses are taking it out on one another. While that's foolish of both, it's the way it is. I know that stewardesses have not one bit of interest in talking to me in uniform except when duty requires, and I'm okay with that--I'm not eager for a chit-chat either. Three hours from now they and I will never see one another again, so no point pretending we are pals.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:28 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,297,800 times
Take a 50% paycut, work 50% more, and lose your pension and then see how much you like to talk. Everyone in the industry is bitter.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:50 AM

10,194 posts, read 17,729,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I don't think it's their responsibility at all when they're in the back of the plane by the crapper. They could be on break. If they are, that means a brief period of time when they are theoretically not required to make nice with a public which they mostly don't like. I can understand that need. There are a lot of people in this world (including a lot of the flying public) you'd have to pay me big money to be polite to. The last thing I would do is be nice to them on my own time.
My thoughts exactly. It must be difficult for them to take their entitled breaks in a confined, crowded plane. I can imagine just wanting to sit there in peace on my break and then being forced to make small talk with an overly friendly passenger. It's like when you go to a cafe for a lunch break and then the boss shows up, sits next to you and starts talking about work. Seriously? This is my lunch break! Emphasis on the word BREAK.

Quote:
That they were sitting in the back, staring into space as passengers were loading is already an indication that something wasn't right
This didn't sound like it occured during boarding/loading? Not sure where you've gotten that impression unless I've missed something. Sounded like it was after take off, when everyone was settled in and there was a lull in the required duties of the attendants.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:57 AM

43,303 posts, read 43,957,600 times
I agree that the flight attendants might have been on their break. If so, they may not have wanted to talk to a passenger during that time and wouldn't been obligated to. Although it would have been polite to respond in any case.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:00 PM

If talking to the passengers for a brief period of time about a general subject is a bore to them or a burden maybe they are in the wrong line of work. They chose a job that involved heavy customer and personal interaction. If I were head flight attendant I would write them up for not being polite and friendly.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:59 PM

37,413 posts, read 45,595,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
If talking to the passengers for a brief period of time about a general subject is a bore to them or a burden maybe they are in the wrong line of work. They chose a job that involved heavy customer and personal interaction. If I were head flight attendant I would write them up for not being polite and friendly.
Man. For someone that started THIS thread...
//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ks-me-how.html

...I find it hilarious that you are now posting THIS one.
Don't you have anything to do at all??

Old 07-24-2009, 06:19 AM

I see both situations as being similar. The "how are you today" question asked robotically and the unfriendly Flight Attendant is an indication of the lack of common courtesy and customer service found today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Man. For someone that started THIS thread...
//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ks-me-how.html

...I find it hilarious that you are now posting THIS one.
Don't you have anything to do at all??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel