Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2015, 12:03 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
The lady above clearly described a country with an extensive range of climates and cultural regions.
It's a young region with little to offer in terms of history, historic buildings, and antiquities.

You can read about the canals of Venice in a book, or watch a show about them, but until you get there and experience them, smell them, see them in real life, you can't really understand and appreciate them.

You can look at photos of crystal clear waters in French Polynesia, but until you travel there and snorkel in water that is clear for a half mile or longer, you'll never quite understand.

I'd also say that some of us have traveled extensively in the US and Canada. At some point in time, you begin to repeat. While that might be acceptable for some, for many it's ho hum. While the Empire State Building might be spectacular to some, when you've worked in an office with it as the view from your window for a number of years, it becomes passe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 03:00 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It's a young region with little to offer in terms of history, historic buildings, and antiquities.

You can read about the canals of Venice in a book, or watch a show about them, but until you get there and experience them, smell them, see them in real life, you can't really understand and appreciate them.

You can look at photos of crystal clear waters in French Polynesia, but until you travel there and snorkel in water that is clear for a half mile or longer, you'll never quite understand.

I'd also say that some of us have traveled extensively in the US and Canada. At some point in time, you begin to repeat. While that might be acceptable for some, for many it's ho hum. While the Empire State Building might be spectacular to some, when you've worked in an office with it as the view from your window for a number of years, it becomes passe.
+1

Anyone who think the US is massive and therefore there is hardly any reason to go outside of it is extremely provincial minded, and borderline crazy.

The first thing when I come to travel nowadays is that it can be in Canada/US. After seeing some of it, you pretty much have seen it all. Europe, Asia and S America offers far more. In terms of travel resources, US/Canada consider their size probably offer the least value.

Travel is the best medicine to treat a disease called "narrow mindedness" and "stupidity". But I am sure many will refuse to seek treatment and will remain convinced there is nothing worth see outside the USA.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
The lady above clearly described a country with an extensive range of climates and cultural regions.
extensive culture regions? What culture? You mean Louisiana has different "culture" from Vermont? That's actually funny.

The entire country speaks the same language with zero linguistic barriers from Washington to Florida, from Maine to Arizona, and doesn't have a single building older than 500 years, and you talk of "extensive cultural regions". Some Americans are indeed hilarious.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
extensive culture regions? What culture? You mean Louisiana has different "culture" from Vermont? That's actually funny.
Well, actually he does have a point in that. Louisiana and Vermont are incredibly different from a cultural perspective. In fact Louisiana is probably one of the more culturally diverse states in the country.

Quote:
The entire country speaks the same language with zero linguistic barriers from Washington to Florida, from Maine to Arizona, and doesn't have a single building older than 500 years, and you talk of "extensive cultural regions". Some Americans are indeed hilarious.
Actually that is also not the case. In many areas, Spanish is the dominant language. And there are parts of the Deep South--particularly in Louisiana where Creole is interjected as often as not--where I know we are both speaking English, but they can't understand my Northeastern accented words any more than I can understand their deep southern drawl. The same could be said for parts of Appalachia with the "hillbilly" twang.

I would also argue that while not technically "buildings" as we know them there are ruins of ancient peoples in Arizona that are over 1000 years old. Their ancestors now live with the Hopi Indian tribe.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:32 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,605,540 times
I find travelling within the US to be incredibly boring.

And I've been to all 50 states.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:56 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Actually that is also not the case. In many areas, Spanish is the dominant language. And there are parts of the Deep South--particularly in Louisiana where Creole is interjected as often as not--where I know we are both speaking English, but they can't understand my Northeastern accented words any more than I can understand their deep southern drawl. The same could be said for parts of Appalachia with the "hillbilly" twang.
The three languages used for official documents in Florida are English, Spanish, and Haitian Creole. While not everything printed/broadcast/placed on the web in English by the State is translated into one of both of the other two, you can definitely live out your life in South Florida, get around, and communicate well entirely in Spanish.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Well, actually he does have a point in that. Louisiana and Vermont are incredibly different from a cultural perspective. In fact Louisiana is probably one of the more culturally diverse states in the country.

I would also argue that while not technically "buildings" as we know them there are ruins of ancient peoples in Arizona that are over 1000 years old. Their ancestors now live with the Hopi Indian tribe.
with due respect , it is sad to even consider such as "cultural difference".

Old 07-28-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
I find travelling within the US to be incredibly boring.

And I've been to all 50 states.
Feel the same here and fortunately I realized that before going to all states.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:46 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,992,877 times
I have to wonder if there is a divide between people who are adventuresome, and people who are home bodies. Considering posts to different threads, I think some people are content with domestic travel if they travel at all, and some individuals aren't even interested in that.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
with due respect , it is sad to even consider such as "cultural difference".
No more so than it would be to consider people from Calgary different than those from Montreal. And there is a vast and discernable difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel