Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 12:57 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I can travel in Mexico and Central America for cheaper than in California if you add the cost of air, hotel, food and transporation, so cost is not really the issue.
But most people erroneously think Mexico and Central America are dangerous. I mean, I probably wouldn't hang out on the border or in Honduras right now, but the rest is fine. Also, Americans WAY overspend south of the border by only going on cruises or big resorts. In that case, it's cheaper for someone around here to drive down to the Florida coast and stay in a hotel there than to fly to the Mayan Riviera or Cancun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 01:51 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
There are just people who have no desire whatsoever to venture outside of their comfort zone, plain and simple. I have a few friends, all of whom are in their 30's, college educated, and are quite stable financially. They simply have no desire to travel abroad or to try out cities in the US they've never visited for that matter. They keep going back to the few places they've visited simply because those places are familiar ground.

To each his own.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Also, Americans WAY overspend south of the border by only going on cruises or big resorts.
No kidding!

We were just in Puerto Rico a couple of weeks ago and met this older couple from New York at the hotel's swimming pool. We started talking and they asked us for suggestions for places to eat since we arrived a few days earlier than them. So we gave them a few names in Old San Juan that we liked. The next day we met them again at the pool and we asked how their dinner was. They complained bitterly about the food, and told us they didn't like it one bit. They ended up going back to Morton Steakhouse at the hotel with another couple & happily paid $750 for their familiar steak dinner. I picked my jaw up from the bottom of the swimming pool and closed my mouth shut after that.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:47 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post

They ended up going back to Morton Steakhouse at the hotel with another couple & happily paid $750 for their familiar steak dinner. I picked my jaw up from the bottom of the swimming pool and closed my mouth shut after that.
Yeah, familiar ground. Reminds me of my in-laws, rest their souls. When they traveled, my MIL was more adventurous, but my FIL wanted everything just like back home, only with a foreign accent.

Truth to tell, I've been back to a few of the same places in Europe, over and over, but there are parts of the United States I've not seen, and may never see. Is my disinterest a comfort zone thing? Maybe in a way.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:48 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
But most people erroneously think Mexico and Central America are dangerous. I mean, I probably wouldn't hang out on the border or in Honduras right now, but the rest is fine. Also, Americans WAY overspend south of the border by only going on cruises or big resorts. In that case, it's cheaper for someone around here to drive down to the Florida coast and stay in a hotel there than to fly to the Mayan Riviera or Cancun.
Are ya driving from London or you change your locations too often?

Our closest beach on the Sea of Cortez is about 4-5 hour drive away. In the past everything was reasonably priced. However, since Americans took it over pretty much, they're milking it like there's no tomorrow, knowing darn well we have no time and do have some money! The hotel prices are double on weekends and triple on holiday weekends! Neither the beach nor the town are anything to write home about... Its only advantage is it’s close to the border and you don’t need to fly.

A decent hotel in Rocky Point for a week can cost me as much as a vacation package to an AI in Riviera Maya! Just count here - airfare, hotel, all food & drinks your lil' heart desires, AND a beautiful beach to boot! Only that approaching an airport makes me sick nowadays...

Old 07-24-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Yeah, familiar ground. Reminds me of my in-laws, rest their souls. When they traveled, my MIL was more adventurous, but my FIL wanted everything just like back home, only with a foreign accent.

Truth to tell, I've been back to a few of the same places in Europe, over and over, but there are parts of the United States I've not seen, and may never see. Is my disinterest a comfort zone thing? Maybe in a way.
Yeah.. it's the comfort zone thing. Except some people's comfort zone is smaller than others, nothing's wrong with that.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:56 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,988,236 times
I dont think thats very true. i agree with what people here said. there are different factors: vacation time, $, maybe they just dont like traveling, and hearing that people overseas dont think fondly of us doesnt help.

i travel overseas frequently, but understand it isnt for everyone.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:16 PM

111 posts, read 435,465 times
Honestly I don't travel overseas because I'm very picky about what I eat and I'm afraid, with the exception of a few countries, I'll get to the place and not like anything. I think it's a waste to go all that way and not at least sample the local cuisine. It's not a real fear that keeps me from doing it, but a fear of the way I am, not being afraid of people or situations in any country.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:17 AM

455 posts, read 1,018,281 times
I agree with a lot of the points brought up so far. Here are a list of reasons as I see them why Americans don't travel overseas often:

-Lack of extended holiday time
-Insularity caused by living in a huge country that also happens to be the most powerful country in the world
-Other countries/cultures often get misrepresented (or just flat out ignored) by mainstream American media
-Huge country, much to see domestically

I do think this trend is gradually changing. It is almost a rite of passage nowadays for Upper Middle Class College-Educated kids to spend some time traveling abroad. Globalization is making world travel a bit more accessible for Americans. As an American in my mid-20's who has traveled quite extensively, I consider myself more of a world citizen than anything else. There's a strong possibility that I may not even settle down in the US.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:08 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Just another anti-american agenda using the classic "Americans are uncultured and ignorant" stereotype. Unfortunately, I see more anti-americanism from Americans themselves than foreigners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel