Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 04:28 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times

Advertisements

I'm heading on over to visit Israel in a few weeks, with hopes of also being able to visit Egypt (really want to see the Pyramids and Sphinx), and Jordan while there. Initially, I was planning on going for three weeks, but now it looks like I'll be going for two weeks. I initially was hoping to go to either Lebanon or Syria as well, but I know that with my time constraints that's not likely. Anyone who has been there know of any sort of insider knowledge of sorts about things to do, things not to do, what to bring, good deals on transportation, etc.? I'm hoping to be able to get around by train from city-to-city, and by foot within the city. The city buses make me a little nervous for obvious reasons. I'm planning on doing all the touristy things, planning to stop in Tel Aviv for a few days, a day or two in Jerusalem and Haifa (a friend lives there), maybe going to the beaches in Eilat and Aqaba, then when some day trips out to the Dead Sea and all the usual things, with plans in Egypt to go to the Sinai (Sharm el-Sheikh and perhaps Dahab) as well as Cairo.

I know about the passport issues as well if I intend to go to Lebanon or Syria in that I will not be permitted entry if I have an Israeli stamp on my passport. Any sort of advice or travel tales is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 04:42 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
How exciting! I wish I was going with you or going, too!

I can't think of much advice, but as I recall transportation from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem by cab is probably as inexpensive as the bus. Suggestions: Try the (mou-chou) cream at the kiosks--it is the best I've ever eaten before or after visiting Tel Aviv. If time perhaps go to the market in Jaffa, and if security allows and if you like strong, rich coffee, stop by at the cafes on the Arab side of Jerusalem. I spent many an afternoon there, and had the best conversations, rancor-free with the locals.

Also if you can find a way to see Jerusalem from one of the old town roof-tops, you'll be so enchanted. I'd rank Jerusalem among my favourite 10 cities--it is filled to the brim with surprises.

Enjoy! Enjoy!

Old 04-21-2007, 06:02 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
You will have a great time.

Spend some Cairo time at the Khan el Kahlili Bazaar. Just walking around. It's one of my favorite places. My favorite thing to do in Jerusalem is go in the Jaffa Gate and just spend the day walking around the Old Town. Almost everyone seems to speak English there.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:24 PM

Awesome. Thanks for the tips so far. Keep 'em coming!

From the research I've done, it seems that it is strongly recommended that when going to Egypt, you do so as part of a packaged tour group. I'm generally an independent budget backpacking sort of traveler but I've been reading a number of blogs from other travelers who are the same who have been to Egypt who say that even though it sort of goes against their typical mode of traveling, they recommend booking an organized tour just because the country is so chaotic and it's very difficult when traveling solo just to get from Point A to Point B, and all the potentials there are to be ripped off. So I'm reading up a bit on different deals. From all that I've read, Egypt makes me a little nervous just in terms of the sheer chaos of the place (notably Cairo) and the language barrier, but I'm sure I'll be fine.

I plan to go the backpacking and hostel solo traveling route while in Israel, and if I do go there, Jordan as well. I'm thinking my overnight stays will be in Jerusalem, Haifa and Tel Aviv and then I'll just make day trips from there, and in Jordan, Amman and Aqaba.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
How exciting! I wish I was going with you or going, too!
You should come. I haven't bought my plane tickets yet. Just be warned that I snore.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:09 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Egypt is one place where I do stay in Western Style hotels. The Mena House is one of my favorites because of the view and the history. Not top rate but very OK. The concierge at your hotel can set you up with a guide or a guide and a car for the day quite easily. One TA I have used there is Egita Lloyd Travel. Mamdouh el Sebai will treat you well too. Another option is to do the Nile Cruise. Lots to see and once you get out of Cairo, it's much calmer. Just depends on how much time you can spend. For me, the perfect trip would be 4 or 5 days in Cairo then the river boat trip. I would spend 2 days in the bazaar, one day at the museums, pyramids and sphinx, and 1 day seeing Sakkara, Colossus of Ramses, Alabaster Sphinx, and the Step Pyramid of Djoser. Alexandria is another good day trip.

Guides are all licensed. Guides who are not licensed are much cheaper. Bargain for everything. Lots of times, I will select my guide myself outside the hotel.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:48 PM

366 posts, read 1,744,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I know about the passport issues as well if I intend to go to Lebanon or Syria in that I will not be permitted entry if I have an Israeli stamp on my passport. Any sort of advice or travel tales is greatly appreciated.
Seriously, this would be a good enough reason for me to know that I wouldn't travel to those two countries.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:48 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Cool Be careful

I spent thirty days in Egypt, keep your hands on your wallet. I would highly advise getting a reputable tourguide. They know all of the in's and out's of the locals and the way they are. If you go to the pyramids, make sure that you set a price from start to finish, especially if you travel by camel to the furthest one out. When visiting the market places, no price is written in stone, "anymore". Bartering is the name of the game over there. If you come to a price that you both like, shake hands, it's a done deal.
The main thing I had a problem with was the smell of dead animals and garbage all over the place . I was in West Cairo and Alexandria, and didn't care for either place. Take plenty of Ammodium AD, you may need it. And Skin So Soft with bug repelent. If you need to get a drink, only buy what the tour guide tells you, or canned soft drinks. Never get ice from them for your drinks either . If you see any snakes, DON'T touch it, it could be an Egyptian ASP, DEADLY. And be careful of the camel spiders too.
Other than that, enjoy yourself, and have fun.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt
I spent thirty days in Egypt, keep your hands on your wallet. I would highly advise getting a reputable tourguide. They know all of the in's and out's of the locals and the way they are. If you go to the pyramids, make sure that you set a price from start to finish, especially if you travel by camel to the furthest one out. When visiting the market places, no price is written in stone, "anymore". Bartering is the name of the game over there. If you come to a price that you both like, shake hands, it's a done deal.
The main thing I had a problem with was the smell of dead animals and garbage all over the place . I was in West Cairo and Alexandria, and didn't care for either place. Take plenty of Ammodium AD, you may need it. And Skin So Soft with bug repelent. If you need to get a drink, only buy what the tour guide tells you, or canned soft drinks. Never get ice from them for your drinks either . If you see any snakes, DON'T touch it, it could be an Egyptian ASP, DEADLY. And be careful of the camel spiders too.
Other than that, enjoy yourself, and have fun.
Thanks for the tips! I definitely will book a tour. Reading all the firsthand solo traveler stories online has made me a bit nervous to attempt to do such a thing this go-around. I'll bring some medicine as well, just in case. I only plan to be in Egypt for around five days so hopefully only a limited amount can go wrong in that time period....and hopefully these aren't my fateful last words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
Seriously, this would be a good enough reason for me to know that I wouldn't travel to those two countries.
I certainly don't agree with the border policy that Lebanon and Syria have, but then again, I don't agree with many Israeli policies either, or French (where I've visited) or Mexican (where I've visited) or American for that matter, and I live here. I'm going to try to check my politics at the door during this visit. However, like I said, I probably won't be going to either Lebanon or Syria due to time constraints and logistics. I'm not terribly upset about either. Israel and Egypt were always the main destinations of this trip, and if I'm able to make it into Jordan, I think it has all that Syria offers for the tourist, and then some. I would like to leave the possibility open to go to Lebanon or Syria one day however so I will ask the passport control officer to stamp an entry card as opposed to my passport. My Israeli friend told me that they are generally very accomodating towards tourists who ask them to do so.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:38 AM

366 posts, read 1,744,806 times
dullnboring, I certainly agree with you on the politics issue. I travel to France all the time and the only time I was actually worried about going was three days before the Iraq war started and we were on our way over. Even then I was treated great by everyone everywhere (we went to Italy and England too). Politics of a country don't bother me, prejudice in politics (or anywhere) do. It does sound like you are going to have a great time, and I hope you go everywhere you want to go and be sure to write a trip report on your return.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:43 AM

282 posts, read 1,264,159 times
I have no advice, but i'm way jealous!!
I would LOVE to see the pyramids in person. That would be so awesome! Please post pics!!

Have a great time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel