Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 07:44 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times

Advertisements

You guys should fly first class or business. Then you'll probably have a good experience. If you fly coach then it depends on the airline, from what I've heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 12:23 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Somehow though, on my last flight, the X-ray machine didnt pick up the metal nail file in my purse, to and from where I went!
That is funny. The same thing happened to me once, too. I wish it happened on the first flight as I might've been able to move it to the checked baggage. I took my Dad's pocket knife with a few other personal items of his as mementos and as I didn't wanna take the chance of losing them, I put them in my carry-on, totally spacing out this was a knife after all... It was in a leather case; perhaps that's why it made it the first time. It was caught in Vienna, though, and they tossed it...

Old 07-28-2009, 05:25 AM

1,396 posts, read 3,442,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
There are few 747's left in the United States. Northwest, and United Airlines may still own a few. The trip would most likely be made on a Boeing 777, or an Airbus A340.
If they fly with United, then it'll be the 747-400. Here's a rough idea what 1st class looks like.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:29 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Yeah. When I was a kid, flying anywhere (not just to and from Asia) was way better than it is now.

It's just like anything else. Once you allow the general public access to something, it gets crappy quickly.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:13 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
In 1973, flying was fun, an adventure. Today, it is an exploration of life in a third world country, how peasants are treated by a power hungry militia. The dream of *And freedom for all* no longer exists in American airports. I would sooner try to paddle a raft to Thailand than put up with the garbage at the USA airports today.
Couldn't have said it better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
You guys should fly first class or business. Then you'll probably have a good experience. If you fly coach then it depends on the airline, from what I've heard.
Why? When we used to have fun we still flew in coach. Last time it happened to me it was in 1995 - Air France; all the food & drink you want (top shelf) and all the smoking you want! Could've flown around the world with them without counting even days, much less minutes. Ironically, that was the flight when I was moving to the US... In other words, I'd just jumped on the wrong train at the wrong time. Next long flight in '97 with Lufthansa we could smoke in between 2 curtains - 3 at a time... And since then it's been all a nightmare, particularly since 2001.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:35 PM

66 posts, read 156,021 times
I remember the first time I was on a plane in 1981. Everyone was smoking. There was no such thing as no smoking areas anywhere. It was allowed on planes as well as in the airports and restaurants. How aweful.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:18 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I guess I did not make myself clear. I have flown many many times since 1973. I have simply NOT flown to ASIA. Asia is a very very long flight which to me is unlike flying to Orlando or Las Vegas ETC. I tend to believe flights today are very crowded and dirty. My husband seems to think flights to ASIA ARE DIFFERENT. He has flown many times since his trip to ASIA WHEN HE WAS 12. I hope that clears things up. I am actually flying into Norfolk VA on Thursday, but, that is a hop skip and a jump.
Well, overseas flights might have a few extra perks like seat back videos, and they may actually feed you...other than that's it's the same sucky experience as domestic, only longer.

Transcontinental usually has three classes as well. First class is pretty nice...but you are still prisoner in a metal tube for 14 hours.

I was just thinking the other day - for the last 30 years the speed to get from point A and point B, on a global scale, has actually decreased for the first time in recorded history. All that because of overcrowded airlines and airports and antiquated overstressed equipment, and indeed security. You could actually travel quicker in the 60's and 70's then you can today.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:55 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,835 times
In the seventies as a child I remember the long hauls NEVER being full, especially across the country or to Europe. My parents were so irresponsible ( I jest, times were just different) they would just let me wander around and I would usually find 3 empty seats in a row and lay down. That was living!

Believe it or not, I vividly recall flying to London in '77 or '78.
It was just about sunrise and the plane was quiet and I was walking around.
A stewardess asked if I would like to meet the captain.
I said 'sure!'
She took me right to the cockpit, the pilot made some small talk and asked if I would like to sit in one of the captains chairs.
Obviously, I said 'SURE!'
He let me sit there for a good five minutes, I remember the sheepskin covered seats and seeing the sun appear to rise out of the Atlantic. I heard the radio chatter as he was handed off to Heathrow.

I will never ever forget that, and know without a doubt that would never happen today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel