Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 02:26 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,050,174 times

Advertisements

I know people who have taken xanax whenever they fly for years with no ill effects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 04:30 AM

20 posts, read 69,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I know people who have taken xanax whenever they fly for years with no ill effects.
Thanks yellowsnow, I am just worried that they will make me feel spaced out and drowsey as I am driving at the other end. Do they have any effects like that do you know?

Old 04-25-2007, 06:02 AM

606 posts, read 699,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
You SHOULD be more afraid of the drive TO the airport. Flying is the Safest form of transportation by far. Forget the drugs!! Seriously-Excercise "Mind Over Matter!!
I know...but I can't control my fear,my emotion.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
I know...but I can't control my fear,my emotion.
Ducksburg - Are you also afraid of flying?

Old 04-25-2007, 09:58 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,050,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by act1980 View Post
Thanks yellowsnow, I am just worried that they will make me feel spaced out and drowsey as I am driving at the other end. Do they have any effects like that do you know?
They do make some people drowsy. How long is your flight? Take one at home when you have nowhere to go and test it out. That's the only way to know for sure. Also ask your doc how long the effects generally last.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
They do make some people drowsy. How long is your flight? Take one at home when you have nowhere to go and test it out. That's the only way to know for sure. Also ask your doc how long the effects generally last.
I am flying from the UK to Orlando, so around 9 hours. I think I will take one at home before though. That sounds like a good idea, thanks!!

Old 04-25-2007, 11:55 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,379,090 times
I saw this thread and said -- geez that's me. I love to travel - I mean really love to travel, and I have flown around the world a number of times, etc. But I really hate to fly.

In December we were going from Ft. lauderdale to NYC (Newark) - we left Ft. Lauderdale and 10 minutes into the flight (I had smelled something funny) the pilot gets on and tells us the smoke alarm went off and we're returning to Ft. Lauderdale. That Was It For Me.

I do deep breathing exercises, close my eyes and think happy thoughts, you name it - just to numb the experience. Flying from the US to Europe - I close my eyes, hold on to something (husbands hand or a pillow) and that is pretty much what I do for the next 9 hours. I hate being like this.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:01 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,379,090 times
Just to add. Years ago I was flying from Dulles to Rome. Just as scared to fly. My father gave me sleepings pills and a tranquilizer - enough to knock out an elephant. Took both - they did nothing for me - absoultely nothing - when I landed, I had no recall of getting out of the airport, to the hotel, the people I met, the food that I ate until noon the next day.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:45 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,396,929 times
The first time I flew I was waiting for my plane I was sitting there shaking and about ready to cry I was so freaked out.

I got on the plane, and sat there looking around at everything, I was slowly calming down. Then the engines fired up... OHHH WHATS THAT!! I was freakin out again... Then well... They said all that mumbo jumbo in case of an accident thing.

Well, we started moving I was still a bit scared. Got to the run way... Oh man this was soooooo freakin awesome!! I WAS GOING TO FLY! I never flew before this was all knew. All the sudden my anxiety was gone when the pilot just hit that throttle and we started moving down the run way... IT WAS AWESOME! The ground slowly started to disappear, it was so beautiful to see the city so high above the ground, never seen anything like it. I'm looking to fly again this August, it's faster than driving, though a tad more expensive. Seeing the ground as high as you do is just an absolute wonderful experience. I'm not scared anymore, I can't wait to be on a plane now! My flights were so fun!

Old 04-25-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Just to add. Years ago I was flying from Dulles to Rome. Just as scared to fly. My father gave me sleepings pills and a tranquilizer - enough to knock out an elephant. Took both - they did nothing for me - absoultely nothing - when I landed, I had no recall of getting out of the airport, to the hotel, the people I met, the food that I ate until noon the next day.
That's what I am worried about when it coms to taking pills. I really don't want to be out of it. Sorry that you have a bad time though, I know what your going through! Just being at the airport puts me on edge. I am trying to find some herbal meds that don't have ill effects like drowsiness etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel