Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 11:31 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
When I was coming back from visiting a friend in Oregon a few years ago, I shrieked with joy when I saw the "Welcome to California" sign, even though I was still hundreds of miles from home. The next exit # was 796, or something like that. For comparison, the exit nearest where I live is #146A.
But remember, Sandyco, that distance is only a couple of inches on the map...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 01:14 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I was so thrilled when Pennsylvania finally joined the 20th Century and updated its exit numbering. I hate guessing how many miles it is to the next exit, especially when I'm running on fumes.

Unfortunately, it took Pennsylvania until the 21st Century to do so ...
Pennsylvania's exit numbers were mileage-based until sometime in the 1970's, when they switched to sequential numbers like the states to the north and east. They switched back to mileage-based numbers last decade. Georgia and Florida switched to mileage-based numbers around the same time, but I don't know if they were originally mileage-based or not. I guess Georgia and Florida are "behind the times" too, though, right?

Old 10-18-2012, 06:36 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,264,620 times
There's a lot of confusion here because for decades I-69 began on the northeast side of Indianapolis and went north/northeast to end at the Canadian border north of Detroit. So it began where it intersected I-465 in Indianapolis at mile marker 0 heading north so that the last mile marker in Indiana before crossing into Michigan was 157 I think. Now that are extending I-69 beyond Indianapolis to Evansville, Indiana. Since they are planning to open the first stretch by the end of this year, they just recently renumberd the whole interstate from Indianapolis north to the state line. They made it a bit easier by just adding 200 to the number. So exit 0 because exit 200. Exit 5 became exit 205. And the very last mile marker went from 157 to 357.

And I'm pretty sure they just made it easy by adding 200 to the number. I believe the new spur from Indianapolis to Evansville will be 134 miles total. Then consider about 30 miles around Indianapolis to the existing part of I-69, means mile marker 205 is probably really mile 170 or so.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Motorists in general have a very poor understanding of road signs. For example, speed limit signs that are required by law to obey are white with black lettering. Yellow signs with black lettering are advisory, and you cannot be ticketed for disobeying them, although ignoring them can be construed as reckless driving if an accident results..

Other signs are also color coded. Green signs are used to indicate directions to cities. Blue sighs direct you to commercial services. Brown signs to parks and attractions. Orange signs are detours. White signs are informational, rather than directional. Red signs warn of unusually high risk circumstances. Yellow signs are cautionary.

Arrow directional sighs have two different types of arrows. Bent arrows mean you will turn at an intersection ahead of you, and when you get there, that turn will be marked by a straight arrow to the right or left, which means turn here.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:11 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
What about this red sign on the side of the road?

Ventura, CA - Google Maps

Google maps, east bound 101

Old 10-23-2012, 01:33 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What about this red sign on the side of the road?

Ventura, CA - Google Maps

Google maps, east bound 101

It's not on the highway right of way. It's a private sign advertising a collection of car dealers and it's on private property.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:21 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
It's not on the highway right of way. It's a private sign advertising a collection of car dealers and it's on private property.
I got a feeling you're right but it sure looks like a CalTrans sign, the wooden posts, sign shape, lettering font, etc. It's just red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel