U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 03:42 PM

347 posts, read 919,765 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to decide between the two.
I'm 26, I'd like to have some action on my vacation (I'm into heavy metal though, so that limits my choices of music bars/clubs sometimes), but I also love walking around and taking pictures of things you can't see anywhere else (such as architecture).
Maybe anyone who has been to these places can tell me a little bit about their experiences?
Thank you!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 09:45 PM

228 posts, read 940,766 times
I LOVED Venice! It has such wonderful architecture. You travel down a little alley way and never know what it opens up into! It is such a great place to explore. I loved the street entertainers. It was such fun to watch them, such talent! Ive never been to Munich, but might think you would find a little more adventurous night life...Venice is probably a little more laid back. Enjoy whatever you decide, but Venice is just so unique, how could anyone pass up a chance to go there!! Dot

Old 08-04-2009, 03:03 AM

13,395 posts, read 42,763,955 times
When are you going?
The Rock Am Ring Festival has many, many bands. It's some 90 miles from Munich, and already took place for 2009.
Have you considered Berlin? It is really a happening place, lots of nightlife.

I really liked both Venice and Munich; I probably preferred Venice, but that's just me.
Venice is incredibly atmospheric, lots of photo ops, that's for sure.
The thing with Venice is that IMHO, after a couple days, you've really seen it all, even if you let yourself get lost and wander about.
What you might consider is staying in nearby Padua, a university town, which is cheaper, has a lively student atmosphere, and is attractive itself.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:53 AM

37,684 posts, read 37,969,794 times
I think Venice is a great place to visit. You can walk about the city, take a gondola ride in the canals, feed pigeons in San Marco Square and lots more.
I have never been to Munich so I can't say anything about it.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:12 PM

83 posts, read 310,485 times
Venice is awesome. On a sunny day with the sun reflecting off the water, the city is magical. You can do a tour of the Ducal Palazzo. You'll get to walk inside the Bridge of Sighs so called because there is one window in the bridge. Criminals and enemies of the Venetian state would get one last look of the outside world through that window before they were executed hence its name. The palazzo also has the assembly room which has awesome views of the Grand Canal. There is the Piazza San Marco or Saint Mark's Square which is stunning with the cathedral, the ducal palazzo and other shops and restaurants surrounding it. Warning! I've heard the gondola rides are EXPENSIVE! So is having an espresso in the Piazza. Also, the easiest way to get around the main sights is to take a water bus. They run up and down the Grand Canal. Concerning alleyways, Venice gives a whole new meaning to the word alley. They twist and turn and repeatedly end up in dead ends. The Venetians did this intentionally for defensive purposes. You should definitely see Venice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel