Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 05:13 PM

557 posts, read 2,610,885 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how many women travellers out there, who go on a week's cruise or a week or two in Europe, can get buy with taking only a limit-size carry on? If you can, what exactly do you take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 06:32 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,692,848 times
I travel alone quite a bit. On my cruise last year, I only had a carry-on size suitcase. (In fact, my friends teased me and wondered how I did it! They brought monstrous sized suitcases!)
Since it was warm weather, I brought 2 pairs of shorts-one pair was kind of nylon-ish, so I could wear them as a swimsuit cover up, or for exploring the town. The other pair was a casual khaki pair that went with everything. 2 swimsuits, 1 pr. of black pants and a fancy top for Formal Night dinner, a sundress, a pair of black slip ons for dinner, my toiletries and hair products. and a pr of pajamas. Everything fit nicely and I used my beach bag as my travel bag for the plane rides.
I like how Rick Steve's emphasizes "double duty" for many items.
However, a week in Europe may be a little different, depending on weather, you may need heavier clothes, which take up more room, etc. I would think a nice pair of slacks, a cardigan, a neutral top and comfortable walking shoes would be a good start. Lay everything out and then eliminate items that can't be worn twice or in a different way. An jeans are very heavy and take up lots of room.
Try a few practice "packings" before your trip so you have an idea of how much you'll have. Good luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
Just wondering how many women travellers out there, who go on a week's cruise or a week or two in Europe, can get buy with taking only a limit-size carry on? If you can, what exactly do you take?

Old 08-10-2009, 07:31 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,725,619 times
One wheeled case for me, maybe a bit larger than carry on. I never travel with more than I can pick up and carry--because at some point I always end up having to schlep the luggage into an overhead train bunk or up a bunch of stairs, or into some bus. It has to be manageable enough I can pick it up when need be.

Two pair of jeans rolled up tightly. Rolling clothes takes up less room than folding and leaves fewer wrinkles. Jeans are bulky and heavy. Black slacks and a black skirt of some kind of synthetic blend fabric that is easy to wash and doesn't need ironing. Rolled up tightly. Shirts of choice, long and short sleeved with complimentary colors so they can be combined in different ways with the jeans/slacks/skirt. Also of synthetic blend fabric which can be rolled up tightly in a suitcase and shaken out on arrival.

Some kind of housedress loungewear thingy good for many different uses inside or outside. A pretty shawl/scarf--they can be worn under jackets, without jackets, over swimsuits, tied around the waist, tossed over the head in case of rain. Two pair of shoes, one pair nice enough to wear with the skirt. One pair flipflops. Jacket attractive enough to go with the shoes and the skirt out to dinner and preferably water-resistant (love microfiber for this piece).

I usually carry and extra fold up bag/light day pack thing and a couple of bungee straps. Extra stuff can be bungeed to the top and the sides of the rolling luggage.

If you need an actual coat for the trip--wear it. Winter coats are a storage bummer.

He are my No-No's:
NO FANNY PACKS! Nevah, nowhere, evah.
Rubber-tire orthopedic walking sandals.
Message/logo T-shirts
Fleece hoodies. (not only are they heinous, no one outside of America wears them)
Sweatpants (see hoodies)

Last edited by azoria; 08-10-2009 at 07:40 PM..

Old 08-10-2009, 08:04 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,470,904 times
We spent 2 weeks traveling around Japan by train, bus and subway. I had to take only as much as could fit in a locker at the train station. Everything fit into a wheeled carry-on and the matching tote that sat on top. We did laundry once that trip, with a few items rinsed in the sink in between. It was warm weather so I only took a couple items to layer for warmth. I try to avoid heavy cottons, as they take so long to dry. A lightweight pair of nylon capris can be washed in the sink, hung up and dry by morning!

Old 08-10-2009, 09:09 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,063,834 times
My wife carried as much for a 6-month sojurn in Southeast Asia. I'm really proud of her.

It's not easy, let me tell you. You've gotta be prepared to do your laundry in a plastic bag in whatever sinks you can find, string up "clothesline" all over whatever room you've got for the night, and wear the same dreary traveller's outfit day after day after day.

But, the point of such a journey isn't what you're wearing or what you bring with you, but rather what you're doing and seeing.

You know, after doing that, I wouldn't begrudge any beach vacationer a whale-sized trunk. It's NICE to be able to wear different clothes, or dress up for a romantic dinner, or have a towel that's bigger than a postage stamp that you don't have to wring out 3 times when drying yourself off after showering.

If you're moving around a lot, though, packing light is a good idea.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:27 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
I never take more than a carry-on backpack.

I do a lot of microfiber/synthetics, but also, believe it or not, I sometimes bring silk, it handwashes nicely.
Two pairs of shoes.

We had 3 weeks in France last spring.
Only did laundry twice.
Probably could have gotten away with once, but we were able to do a wash at my son's girlfriend's apartment.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:41 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,998 times
When I went to study in Spain for a month I brought one (domestic-size) wheeled bag and another smaller one. I also packed an empty suitcase flat into the wheeled bag in case I bought a lot of stuff to bring back. I say "domestic-size" because it counts as a carry-on for most domestic flights, but they changed the limits for the international flight (I was so mad!). People saw it and wanted to know where my "big bag" was.

Even with all the clothes and souveneirs I bought, I still could have packed everything in the two smaller bags for the trip home. I didn't, though, because I had the extra one and figured I might as well use it.

As for what to bring, I agree with azoria:
Quote:
Two pair of jeans rolled up tightly. Rolling clothes takes up less room than folding and leaves fewer wrinkles. Jeans are bulky and heavy. Black slacks and a black skirt of some kind of synthetic blend fabric that is easy to wash and doesn't need ironing. Rolled up tightly. Shirts of choice, long and short sleeved with complimentary colors so they can be combined in different ways with the jeans/slacks/skirt. Also of synthetic blend fabric which can be rolled up tightly in a suitcase and shaken out on arrival.

Some kind of housedress loungewear thingy good for many different uses inside or outside. A pretty shawl/scarf--they can be worn under jackets, without jackets, over swimsuits, tied around the waist, tossed over the head in case of rain. Two pair of shoes, one pair nice enough to wear with the skirt. One pair flipflops. Jacket attractive enough to go with the shoes and the skirt out to dinner and preferably water-resistant (love microfiber for this piece).

I usually carry and extra fold up bag/light day pack thing and a couple of bungee straps. Extra stuff can be bungeed to the top and the sides of the rolling luggage.

If you need an actual coat for the trip--wear it. Winter coats are a storage bummer.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:56 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Keep trying to explain to my wife that we only need one suitcase for our week-long beach vacations since we reuse bathing suits and only need a pair or shorts or two to lounge around in...

Old 08-11-2009, 07:00 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Keep trying to explain to my wife that we only need one suitcase for our week-long beach vacations since we reuse bathing suits and only need a pair or shorts or two to lounge around in...
It's true. For a beach trip I bring a small backpack and my beach bag, that's about it.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:19 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times
Ugh... no way! I really hope sportsfangal forgot some stuff on the list. Unless it was a 24 hour cruise (and even then!) I would need a couple changes of panties (at least!) and a casual shirt or two!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel