Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 02:12 PM

258 posts, read 1,504,835 times

Advertisements

So my next trip this year is going to be to Australia and New Zealand. I have never been to either place before so I'm trying to get an idea of where to go and what to do. I'm in my mid 20s and love adventure and excitement. I definitely want to go to Melbourne for sure. New Zealand is the place I really want to explore and check out Fiordland. Would also like to do all of the extreme adventure activities offered. Any ideas from anybody whos been???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 06:54 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
First you need a reality check. Unless you have a month or longer choose New Zealand OR Australia. Then only one island of New Zealand (north or south) or only one section of Australia.
Saying you are going to Australia and New Zealand is like a European saying "Hey I am spending two weeks and would like to visit the US and Hawaii...Disney World one day, New York the next, Hollywood the next..." get the picture?

Old 01-02-2008, 07:25 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
I lived in australia for a year and loved it. enjoy your adventure!

Old 01-02-2008, 03:37 PM

523 posts, read 2,904,897 times
I just got back from a trip to New Zealand a few weeks back. I loved it!! You really can't go wrong as far as places to see since everything is beautiful including the highway drive. The South Island is more scenic than the North. For adventure sports, definitely go to Queenstown. You have your choice of sky-diving, bungy-jumping, fly-by-wire, Mad Dog River rafting, canyon swinging, speed-boating, and a host of other things. Also, you can head over to Fox Glacier or the Franz Joseph Glacier and go glacier hiking (not near Queenstown). This is all really cool stuff but also really expensive. Just make sure you budget both your time and your money well. Even though I've had longer trips and been to nearly 30 countries, my two week trip to New Zealand was the most expensive trip I've ever taken. If you're interested, I can post some photos from my trip.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:15 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
We went to Sydney, Cairns, the Great Barier Reef and had a ball. Lots to see, and you need a couple of weeks to see the majority of the highlights. New Zealand is one of the most beautiful places in the world. A week at each island is needed.
In Sydney you'll want to do some touristy things like the Opera House, the Rocks, the maritime musem, Circular Cay etc etc. You can ride the overhead train all around town and get off anywhere you want very easily.
Cairns is a beautiful rainforested area.
The people are very friendly, the food is great. They love Americans and are happy to assist you with about anything. They drive on the opposite side of the road and Ford is the #1 car there.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:37 PM

258 posts, read 1,504,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
If you're interested, I can post some photos from my trip.
Please do..........Hopefully I'll be able to take a month off for the whole trip............Moderator cut: rude comment

Last edited by sablebaby; 01-04-2008 at 11:28 PM..

Old 01-03-2008, 07:49 AM

Moderator cut: orphaned

Oh you are so welcome for my advice. You will enjoy yourself if you just stick to one country at a time, but that's your call.
I've been to New Zealand, was going to offer you all sorts of advice once you selected a place, but, think I will hold it off for some one a little more friendly.

Last edited by sablebaby; 01-04-2008 at 11:29 PM..

Old 01-03-2008, 01:50 PM

29 posts, read 178,213 times
As an American Citizen under 30 years old - you're eligible for a WHV (working holiday visa) in New Zealand (and a few other countries).

Allowing you to work your way around. Quite a few people go on very little money and get jobs to keep them going. Bar work, fruit picking, ski resorts, even office work.

Check out:

Gapyear.com
Lonelyplanet.com
Seat61.com (train travel..)

Umm wikitravel is pretty good for information, as is virtualtourist.com

I haven't been. But i'm planning to...

Old 01-03-2008, 02:31 PM

I'm sure those sites will be overjoyed to have her as a member. LOL

Old 01-03-2008, 09:37 PM

8 posts, read 24,661 times
Default Just got back from Australia

What a great adventure you will have! I am an Aussie who lives in the US and just returned from a Xmas visit...I do have to agree with the other folks though, we went for a month this time and it just isnt much time considering how spread out most of the major attractions are unless you are planning to fly ALOT. If you are short on time I would suggest the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast of QLD, Perth area and Sydney/Melb. Or better yet check out the Qantas site and they have a thing called an "Aussie Air Pass" where you get to visit multiple places in Australia for a very reasonable rate. Also if you are a student there are great travel agencies who are also very inexpensive such as STA travel who give greatly discounted rates. Best of luck to you and enjoy your trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel