Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2009, 09:12 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,474 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever purchased and then filed a claim for travel insurance?

I've never gotten it but am planning a trip out of the country and airfare for us is the cost of a new car. I'd hate to buy the tickets to this foreign country and then something happen and we can't go.

So while I'm sure insurance is a 'good thing' it may not be. I purchased a nice LCD tv - famous brand. It broke w/in a month and when I attempted to use the warranty I had to take it in to thier servicer....in California. I'm in NC. So, the warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on! Just want to find those who actually have used or tried to use travel insurance. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 09:45 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Travel insurance is well worth it. Just make sure it's a cancel for any reason.
Most cover medical up to a certain $$ amount over seas via reimbursement.
Carefully read what the policy says.

Back in May we were going to Cabo in Mexico and my dil decided not to go because of swine flu. Her & son canceled...they had paid $2000.00 and received $1500.00 back which $250.00 of that was the actual insurance cost which you don't get back

Old 09-03-2009, 09:46 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
I have travelled all over the world and have ALWAYS got travel insurance ( which includes medical cover/repatriation as well as the usual lost luggage/journey delay etc..).

I have had to claim a few times on it and it has always paid up for me. I use comparison websites in the UK but have found the best for us in the UK to be "Direct line" and "Trailfinders". All insurances have paid without delay but these were the best. Of course these won't operate in the US I am sure.

I am sure there are excellent travel insurance companies in the US...

I don't know anyone who would dream of visiting the US for example without travel insurance. With the costs of medical care it is tantamount to financial suicide. I would rather pay a a few bucks and not have to sell my house because I broke my ankle and needed airlifting....

Medical cover IMO is crucial. Pointless until you need it. Trust me if you are in a foreign country and ill , it will be a great relief to have a well organised back-up taking care of all the issues for you.

Peace of mind to me is priceless and most travel insurance is fairly cheap unless you have pre-existing conditions. I never used to but do now and our combined travel insurance this year for a multi-trip annual cover for the two of us ( as many trips as you want of up to 30 days each) INCLUDING cover for my medical problems is less than $300 ( $150 each) , a bargain for peace of mind.

It will also pay for itself if you need to cancel the trip for medical reasons, because a loved one has died or is ill but of course you must do your homework and read the clauses carefully to ensure what is covered.

Also bear in mind ( I assume it is the same in the US , worth checking though ) that if the Airline goes bust you can lose your money so always try to pay with a Visa card which seems to have a lot of benefits like recouping your money and offers better protection than Amex for example.

We thought we had lost our money paid for tickets on the Canadian "Zoom" airlines last year when they went belly-up but visa repaid us the money via our current account bank.

My motto with travelling is "be prepared" because it allows you a lot more spontaneity and peace of mind whilst travelling. I like to get everything in order and sorted before so I get no nasty surprises later on...

Old 09-03-2009, 09:54 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Anyone ever purchased and then filed a claim for travel insurance?

I've never gotten it but am planning a trip out of the country and airfare for us is the cost of a new car. I'd hate to buy the tickets to this foreign country and then something happen and we can't go.

So while I'm sure insurance is a 'good thing' it may not be. I purchased a nice LCD tv - famous brand. It broke w/in a month and when I attempted to use the warranty I had to take it in to thier servicer....in California. I'm in NC. So, the warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on! Just want to find those who actually have used or tried to use travel insurance. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
On topic. I buy travel insurance when I have bought a vacation (e.g. a cruise or stay in a resort). If I am just travelling to Europe (i.e. for work or to visit friends) I don't usually bother.

Off topic. I had your TV problem when I bought a laptop from a famous brand. It didn't work out of the box. I had paid with Amex so when the manufacturer told me that their policy was to repair the PC (I wanted a new one and not a refurbished one), I told them that my policy was to dispute the charge with Amex and have them come and pick up the PC. They reimbursed me in full and arranged for it to be shipped back to them.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:15 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,923,115 times
We always purchase travel insurance and actually filed a claim once. We were in Spain, headed to Portugal by train when the Portugal train workers went on strike so needed to rent a car. When we returned home and filed the claim we were reimbursed 100% including the car rental, gas and a flat tire incurred along the way. They were great.

We were insured through Travel Insurance: Travel Guard - Trip, Medical/Health & Accident Coverage

This site lets you compare different travel insurance companies. Well worth a check to compare coverages and costs.
Travel Insurance - InsureMyTrip.com

Old 09-03-2009, 10:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Another travel insurance thread

I'm not that enthusiastic about travel insurance. Maybe this is because I am already so cynical about health insurance.
In all my years of traveling, I have only bought travel insurance once, when all 4 of us were traveling together. (Nothing happened.)
I suppose I am tempting fate.
Maybe I will change my mind about this at a later date, but I haven't yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel