Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 10:10 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyjacques View Post
Thanks for the advice!! I guess though I should have been more clear on the details. We are leaving the Army so they will pay for the transportation and hotels for the trip. I don't have too much experience driving trucks but my step-dad does and has given me some great pointers on what to do. I don't want to go so far south on the 10 since I am driving all the way to Maine, I want to make it a fairly short trip but not too far north that's why I chose the 40. Also we are getting an exceptionally good deal with Uhaul from a friend that manages it. I don't want to put the miles on my vehicle so we are towing it. I am quite seasoned with driving in snowy/icy weather so I should be ok if I take it easy. Just wanted some tips since I have never taken this route! Thanks for the help!!
I-40 can be rough, uphill climb as soon as you get into Arizona all the way to Flagstaff (9,000 ft) where weather can get bad. Then again uphill out of Alberquerque and wind storms and blizzards between Abilene and Oklahoma. I'd go the extra 100 miles to go south. especially with a U-Haul.

One more piece of advice, get the full trailer to tow it rather than that thing that just lifts 2 wheels. and cover your windshield good.
I've taken I-10, I-40, I-70 and I-80 there really isn't much mileage difference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 10:15 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,205 times
I-40 through Arkansas is a pretty rough ride, especially east of Little Rock heading toward Memphis. And it does occasionally snow in Arkansas, but I'd expect ice over snow.

I took a 17ft...or was it a 24ft...anyways, I U-hauled down I-40 across the state and had a feeling everything in back was going to be broken into a million pieces. I think the only way the fragiles survived was thanks to my insane packaging and preparation. The truck was bouncing like hell the whole time once we got east of Little Rock.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:02 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
I-40 through Arkansas is a pretty rough ride, especially east of Little Rock heading toward Memphis. And it does occasionally snow in Arkansas, but I'd expect ice over snow.

I took a 17ft...or was it a 24ft...anyways, I U-hauled down I-40 across the state and had a feeling everything in back was going to be broken into a million pieces. I think the only way the fragiles survived was thanks to my insane packaging and preparation. The truck was bouncing like hell the whole time once we got east of Little Rock.
I went through there in May, construction is almost done, flat and wide compared to Eastern Tennessee.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:58 AM

7 posts, read 65,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I'd take I-10 and cut down to I-8 on 85 west of Phoenix. That'll bring you back to I-10 East of Phoenix. Stay on I-10 to I-20 east of El Paso. Then stay on I-20 skirting Dallas to the south. I think it's 635 north to hook you up to I-30 east of Dallas, I-30 will hook up with I-40 in Little Rock and you're back on your route. That avoids the mountains and the major cities.

I was just looking at your trip plan on Google Maps and it would only add 200+ miles to the trip. One question, did you mean the 95 west of Phoenix? I am not seeing the 85 on the map. Just want to stick to mostly major roads here. So this route will avoid more weather right? Just want to be sure before I change my whole route!

Old 09-15-2009, 11:10 AM

7 posts, read 65,151 times
Quote:
I was just looking at your trip plan on Google Maps and it would only add 200+ miles to the trip. One question, did you mean the 95 west of Phoenix? I am not seeing the 85 on the map. Just want to stick to mostly major roads here. So this route will avoid more weather right? Just want to be sure before I change my whole route!

Sorry got it now! It's small and hard to find! Just trying to plan an alternate route as accurate as possible! Also have to find hotels that will accommodate a 26' truck towing a car behind it. I have to look at every stop along the way! Oh and yes we are getting a full trailer for the car... I don't want the wear on the tires either.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:03 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Really, all these weather concerns are over-exaggerated. Sure snow and bad weather can occur, but we have an entire interstate system of truckers and private vehicles that travel all highways everyday and every hour of the year, rain or snow or whatever. They don't stop unless they close the highways. It's just not that big of a deal.
My suggestion - don't worry about route now. A few days before your trip view the weather reports for cold systems coming in, see where they are heading to, and plan accordingly and then adjust your route. Watch for reports over the few mountain passes you will travel over. That's it.
Personally I would plan for either 1.) the shortest route, or 2.) the least crowded route, taking under consideration rush hour traffic and times you will be going through cities, 3.) construction on the planned route. Weather concerns wouldn't factor into my consideration, at least not now.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:36 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Really, all these weather concerns are over-exaggerated.
I agree. Why not hit I-44 in Oklahoma City and take that up to St. Louis. Hit I-70 there and take 70 through to your route of choice to the north east; maybe take 71 from Columbus to Cleveland and take I-90 out of Cleveland to the New York thruway? You would miss the Smokies and most of major cities that way. The odds of the interstates being impassable on Dec 1 are very, very slim. In Indianapolis, we rarely see major snow events until after Christmas. Possible, but rare.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:30 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Really, all these weather concerns are over-exaggerated. Sure snow and bad weather can occur, but we have an entire interstate system of truckers and private vehicles that travel all highways everyday and every hour of the year, rain or snow or whatever. They don't stop unless they close the highways. It's just not that big of a deal..
There is a slight difference between an OTR trucker who drive 600-700 miles per day five or six days per week for years on end and the OP. The OP is driving a vehicle that he is not familiar with, towing another vehicle and driving under unfamiliar conditions.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:52 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice!! I guess though I should have been more clear on the details. We are leaving the Army so they will pay for the transportation and hotels for the trip. I don't have too much experience driving trucks but my step-dad does and has given me some great pointers on what to do. I don't want to go so far south on the 10 since I am driving all the way to Maine, I want to make it a fairly short trip but not too far north that's why I chose the 40. Also we are getting an exceptionally good deal with Uhaul from a friend that manages it. I don't want to put the miles on my vehicle so we are towing it. I am quite seasoned with driving in snowy/icy weather so I should be ok if I take it easy. Just wanted some tips since I have never taken this route! Thanks for the help!!
It can get bad in Flagstaff, even in Oct. I've driven in a snow storm there (in Oct.) along with a bunch of other drivers who had no idea how to drive in snow (maybe they were Phoenix natives ) and were passing me going way too fast in their SUVs and then I saw many of them spun out, crashed in the ditch as I passed them later (I was not in a 4 wheel drive and they were). So it may be the other drivers you have to look out for.

PS I'm from Canada so I have plenty of practice driving in snow !

Old 09-17-2009, 07:59 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There is a slight difference between an OTR trucker who drive 600-700 miles per day five or six days per week for years on end and the OP. The OP is driving a vehicle that he is not familiar with, towing another vehicle and driving under unfamiliar conditions.
Doesn't matter when considering my point, besides that you missed my second word "private vehicles". Weather is a secondary concern which can be addressed a few days before the trip. To discuss it now is a waste. A blizzard can occur in the Dakota's, or in the high plains of the Texas panhandle while the Dakota's remain sunny, an any given day in December (or, more likely in early December, the entire US will be winter storm free). So why discuss it now?

OP's main concern should be shortest route, balanced against traffic (density) and planned construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel