Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 05:52 PM

7 posts, read 65,159 times

Advertisements

We are moving cross country from Southern California (the Mojave Desert) back to Maine and are planning to take the 40 all the way to the 81. We are leaving December 1st and I am curious about the weather/ road conditions this time of year. I have driven cross country a few times, but it was along the 80 up north and it was September and November. I have done some research on the subject and was just curious if there were any veteran drivers who know the route and the time of year to help. We will be driving a 26' Uhaul truck towing a car behind it.... fun, I know. Any advice would help! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 07:27 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyjacques View Post
We are moving cross country from Southern California (the Mojave Desert) back to Maine and are planning to take the 40 all the way to the 81. We are leaving December 1st and I am curious about the weather/ road conditions this time of year. I have driven cross country a few times, but it was along the 80 up north and it was September and November. I have done some research on the subject and was just curious if there were any veteran drivers who know the route and the time of year to help. We will be driving a 26' Uhaul truck towing a car behind it.... fun, I know. Any advice would help! Thanks
Several points:

1) U-Haul has a terrible reputation for the condition of their vehicles. I would make sure that the vehicle appears to be in good operating condition. There are OTHER truck rental firms. Also, I would check out places like PODS where a professional trucker delivers the pod to your place. It may be cheaper in the long run.

2) Make sure that you can handle the vehicle. I do NOT want to sound condescending but I run a fleet and there are a lot of people who cannot handle driving a panel truck and end up cutting people off or sideswiping other drivers.

3) There are several places along the route where you might run into ice or snow in December. It is better to lay over an extra day waiting for the weather to clear than to force your way through the mountains.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:02 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,590,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There are several places along the route where you might run into ice or snow in December. It is better to lay over an extra day waiting for the weather to clear than to force your way through the mountains.
jlawrence made several good points. You are most likely to run into snow and ice in the mountains of Arizona and New Mexico, but realistically could see some in most of the other states along the way, too. Flagstaff, Arizona is about 7000 feet, and Albuquerque, New Mexico is about 5300 feet, and has mountain passes (7000 ft. plus) on either side of it along I-40. My recommendation is to check the weather daily, and stop if necessary, preferably before the storm catches up to you.

The other point about the PODS unit was a good one, too. I would also suggest looking into that as an alternative to a rental truck. When you factor in the cost of the rental (truck and tow dolly), plus the cost of fuel and hotels/motels (it will take longer in the rental - especially in bad weather), it might be cheaper to rent and ship a PODS unit and drive your car out there. I would carefully consider all options before settling on a rental truck.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
jlawrence made several good points. You are most likely to run into snow and ice in the mountains of Arizona and New Mexico, but realistically could see some in most of the other states along the way, too. Flagstaff, Arizona is about 7000 feet, and Albuquerque, New Mexico is about 5300 feet, and has mountain passes (7000 ft. plus) on either side of it along I-40. My recommendation is to check the weather daily, and stop if necessary, preferably before the storm catches up to you.
Another option would be to hit I-8 to I-10 which is the southernmost route that would get you there. It may add several hundred miles to your travels.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:26 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,690,750 times
I'd take I-10 and cut down to I-8 on 85 west of Phoenix. That'll bring you back to I-10 East of Phoenix. Stay on I-10 to I-20 east of El Paso. Then stay on I-20 skirting Dallas to the south. I think it's 635 north to hook you up to I-30 east of Dallas, I-30 will hook up with I-40 in Little Rock and you're back on your route. That avoids the mountains and the major cities.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I'd take I-10 and cut down to I-8 on 85 west of Phoenix. That'll bring you back to I-10 East of Phoenix. Stay on I-10 to I-20 east of El Paso. Then stay on I-20 skirting Dallas to the south. I think it's 635 north to hook you up to I-30 east of Dallas, I-30 will hook up with I-40 in Little Rock and you're back on your route. That avoids the mountains and the major cities.
Until you have to cross the Smokey Mountains between Knoxville, TN and Cherokee, NC (~4,000 ft).

Old 09-14-2009, 12:06 AM

7 posts, read 65,159 times
Thanks for the advice!! I guess though I should have been more clear on the details. We are leaving the Army so they will pay for the transportation and hotels for the trip. I don't have too much experience driving trucks but my step-dad does and has given me some great pointers on what to do. I don't want to go so far south on the 10 since I am driving all the way to Maine, I want to make it a fairly short trip but not too far north that's why I chose the 40. Also we are getting an exceptionally good deal with Uhaul from a friend that manages it. I don't want to put the miles on my vehicle so we are towing it. I am quite seasoned with driving in snowy/icy weather so I should be ok if I take it easy. Just wanted some tips since I have never taken this route! Thanks for the help!!

Old 09-14-2009, 07:39 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,101,357 times
I would stick with I-40 unless the weather forecasts turn bad. We moved from NC to AZ the week of Christmas in 1999 and took I-40 all the way from Raleigh to Flagstaff. We did encounter some nasty ice on the road in the Texas panhandle and witnessed a horrific accident. Thankfully we were in a 4WD vehicle that was outfitted appropriately for the conditions, so we were fine. I would not have wanted to be in a moving truck. That said, significant winter conditions are the exception and not the norm on this road in early December, however, even in the NC mountains. In fact, the highest probability of winter conditions would be in the Flagstaff area where they are very well equipped for clearing the often heavy snows on the highway.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:01 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,690,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Until you have to cross the Smokey Mountains between Knoxville, TN and Cherokee, NC (~4,000 ft).
That's a hill in the west, I got him that far, have you got a better route?

Old 09-14-2009, 10:03 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,405 times
Whistle Happy Birthday when you go, and think of me please. December 1st is my Bday!

Happy travels!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel