Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 08:16 PM

149 posts, read 467,344 times

Advertisements

I went out of town for the weekend. My car doesn't accelerate well, so I kept an average speed of 50-55. As I was heading home last night I noticed the car right behind me was driving at the same speed as me. I thought that was unusual because everyone was passing me. So I kind of assumed it was an old person in an old car driving slowly. That car stayed behind me on the highway for an hour and a half. After that time passed, the car switched to the left lane and sped off! It was two younger guys in a youngish car.

Any guess as to why they were in the right lane driving slowly (behind me) for an hour and a half? I think I was being followed and they eventually gave up. Many questions jumped to mind. If they were following me, what was their motive? Were they planning on following into my home state, which was four hours away? If they were intending to harm me, what was their method of cornering me? Again I was four hours away from home. That's really odd to want to follow someone for that long. Were they hoping that I would make a stop, other than somewhere public such as a gas station?

That was a pretty creepy experience. I've never heard of anyone following someone for that long of a distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 03:11 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Some less attentive drivers will simply go the same speed as the person in front of them, instead of driving a consistent speed and passing when necessary. Sometimes, they snap out of it and realize they've slowed down and finally pass, sometimes they may never notice it. Basically, they're just not paying attention to their speed - had you sped up, they probably would have to without even realizing it.

I highly doubt they were following you. You sound paranoid.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:32 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Maybe they were in the same lane as you at the same speed as you for the same reason you were.

I know people who would get behind you and follow you across the country for hours; that's just how they drive.

If you think you are being followed you can speed up and/or slow down, change lanes, exit and immediately re-enter the highway, etc. This will give you a much better gauge of whether someone is actually following you.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:47 AM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
If they seriously were following you for an hour and half, they would not give up till you stopped or reached your destination. So, no. They just traveled slowly, maybe on the phone or just like PA2UK said, they just followed YOUR SPEED, then realized how slow it was and speed away.
Driving behind you, they had no way knowing how old you are or how pretty..., especially at night.

When I drive long distance, especially at night, I sometimes follow someone, so I don't have to be worried about deer or other obstacles on the road. When they brake for police, it's a nice warning too...
Sometimes on a long trip at night people like to switch while driving... one person is on the front then the person behind will go on the front etc. Happen to me many, many times and I like it... it makes the drive less boring.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:28 AM

I made a stop at a crowded gas station before I got out on the road. I didn't pay attention to see if anyone was following me, at that point.

But yeah, I think you are right. Maybe they were on the phone or just being otherwise inattentive.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:50 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
If you are alone and suspect you are being followed just take an exit and search for the downtown area and pull up in front of the Police station. I doubt they will keep following you.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:36 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
+1

Old 08-19-2013, 01:05 PM

454 posts, read 793,621 times
was the highway super crowded whilst you were driving? Or did you encounter only 2 or 3 cars during all that driving time?

if lots of cars sharing the road with you, probably someone just absently staying behind you. i do that, i take the right lane and stay in it. if no one else on the road but you (like when driving at 3 a.m.) then i would feel a little unsettled if a car stayed behind me for hours...

Old 08-19-2013, 03:29 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
they could have indeed been following you while waiting for authorization that never came to conduct what we in the business call; "Code-86", apparently their supervisor either denied the request or couldn't be reached because he was at a movie.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:46 PM

As in undercover cops? I'm not sure what you mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel