U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2009, 12:32 AM

29,214 posts, read 52,417,698 times

Advertisements

Ethel Schweitzer's husband falls ill before a trip to Las Vegas, and the couple cancels their vacation. Now US Airways wants to keep their money. Why can't it offer them a refund?

No refund for canceled Vegas vacation - CNN.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 02:19 AM

15,692 posts, read 27,583,525 times
I don't agree with Chris Elliott. The couple in the article used Travelocity to book a nonrefundable ticket. They had the opportunity to purchase travel cancellation insurance and chose not to. As much as I do not like US Airways, why should they make the refund.

(For the record, I had the same thing happen when I was hospitalized in 2002 and had to eat five RT tickets ORD-LAS on United Airlines.)

Now, I book nearly all of my tickets on Southwest which has a more liberal cancellation policy. I do not jump to American or United to save $20 and have the plethora of fees

Old 09-23-2009, 02:24 AM

38,703 posts, read 97,035,217 times
Let's see: a couple wants a refund on a nonrefundable purchase which they knew or should have known was nonrefundable when they made the purchase, and are told to get stuffed. Care to explain how exactly this is "news?"

Old 09-24-2009, 11:00 PM

7 posts, read 11,684 times
I feel bad for them in regards to her husband's diagnosis, but I am completely irritated by part of her closing statement: "We are a senior couple living on a fixed income".
Makes no difference. You decided, when you booked your vacation, that amount of money was expendable so please don't try to make it seem like it makes it more imperative to give you a refund.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:28 PM

8,176 posts, read 17,694,037 times
While the softy side of me thinks the $$ should be refunded, the fact remains that they bought non-refundable tickets.

I get irritated at the "fixed income" claim too. Some of those "fixed incomes" are much more than I make a year and I still have a mortgage. I can't afford to go to Vegas on my "fixed income."

Old 09-25-2009, 01:55 PM

9,092 posts, read 18,073,409 times
if they are in such financial hardships they should be fortunate that all they are out of is plane fare - not the full costs of a vegas vacation coupled with what will be developing medical expenses.......

with that, this is a non-refundable fare - it stinks, but that's the way it is when you buy the lowest possible price

i'll 2nd that I consider southwests policy for flight cancellations when I book my travel ...... i've been within 48 hours of a flight and had to change routing, delay travel by 8 months, etc and it's always been fairly painless

Old 09-25-2009, 04:40 PM

1,854 posts, read 9,319,246 times
I wish that I was on a fixed income. At least they know what their income is every month. If I don't go to work, my income goes down. It never goes up, and it doesn't have a guarantee of staying the same.

These people have learned that a little bit of whining can get you around a legal contract. USAirways had no legal obligation to refund the money, but they did.

They were probably hoping to get some positive PR out of it, but it seems that nobody even noticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel