Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 05:15 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,067,987 times

Advertisements

I am posting this in "other topics" because not everyone who will be traveling may read the "travel Forum" because they may just be going to visit friends or relatives.

As we get closer to the travel season, I thought I would share a tip you might not be aware of.

If you are going to be traveling out of your area and going to be using Credit Cards,call the CC companies and let them know.
Most CC companies have departments that look for unusual charges.
For example you live in Fla and all of a sudden there are charges in Calif. The company, for your protection, may put a temporary "hold" on your account until they can verify that you are the one using the card.

Happy and safe travels everyone

Karla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 06:09 AM

926 posts, read 1,458,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
I am posting this in "other topics" because not everyone who will be traveling may read the "travel Forum" because they may just be going to visit friends or relatives.

As we get closer to the travel season, I thought I would share a tip you might not be aware of.

If you are going to be traveling out of your area and going to be using Credit Cards,call the CC companies and let them know.
For example you live in Fla and all of a sudden there are charges in Calif. The company, for your protection, may put a temporary "hold" on your account until they can verify that you are the one using the card.

Karla
Thanks for the tip Karla, I didn't realize that. You are very thoughtful and caring for passing this along. Would it be too much of an inconvenience for you to PM me your credit card numbers and I can just use yours to save me from the bothersome task of calling the CC companies?

Old 05-04-2007, 06:37 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,190,686 times
Quote:

Karla

Great tip, thanks!

Old 05-04-2007, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukester2 View Post
Thanks for the tip Karla, I didn't realize that. You are very thoughtful and caring for passing this along. Would it be too much of an inconvenience for you to PM me your credit card numbers and I can just use yours to save me from the bothersome task of calling the CC companies?
now problem dukester I will PM that information the 2nd Tuesday of next week

karla

Old 05-04-2007, 06:50 AM

926 posts, read 1,458,708 times
Quote:
now problem dukester I will PM that information the 2nd Tuesday of next week

karla
Thanks, If I don't get it by the 32nd of Jubember, I'll send you a reminder, okay?

Old 05-05-2007, 06:05 AM

great dukester I have marked my calendar

I wanted to also say thanks to all of you that left me pos rep points for starting this thread. lots of wam and fuzzys today.
have a great weekend
karla

Old 05-05-2007, 06:14 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,350,775 times
This happened to me about three years ago. Luckily I have an outstanding bank. They are really on the ball. The minute I got home and called them they reactivated my card. Glad your reminded me of this since travel is in the near future!

THX Karla

Old 05-05-2007, 09:42 AM

942 posts, read 2,580,509 times
Karla, your absolutley right. I learned the hard way when we traveled on holiday to Punta Cana two years ago. We were at a restaurant and went to pay for our very large bill and the CC wouldnt go through. How embarresing Im thinking what the heck...this cant be right. We had no cash on us. My husband had to go to the resort and get out travelors checks that was in the safe. Meanwhile everybodies looking at us like "oh my God". To say the least it was embarresing. When I called my bank they said they did it for my protection. Go figure ........ I wish they had protected me of the embarrasement.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:12 AM

90 posts, read 264,343 times
Also, before you go travelling you can purchase traveler's checks in the form of a plastic card.....they work like a prepaid debit card and are in no way attached to your bank account

Old 05-05-2007, 03:00 PM

11,380 posts, read 24,388,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebuilder View Post
Also, before you go travelling you can purchase traveler's checks in the form of a plastic card.....they work like a prepaid debit card and are in no way attached to your bank account
Are they commonly accepted overseas? I considered getting traditional paper traveler's checks before I went away to Europe but after doing some research and asking around discovered that they are hard to exchange. No one uses them any more.

I simply used my debit card and had no problems whatsoever. ATM's were everywhere I went (mostly big cities) and the charges were no greater than using one at home. Plus you have the added benefit of automatic conversion into Euros.

I did, however, notify my credit card company in advance, in case I needed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel