Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:38 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,858,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have seen the TSA stop people at Chicago-O'Hare when their carry-on did NOT fit through the template of the x-ray machine. They were required to go back to the gate and check the bag.
Interesting ... haven't seen that but then I avoid O'Hare. The TSA are right to do that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 11:07 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,851,880 times
More and more I'm seeing airlines require the bag to fit in the overhead "wheels in" and if it's too tall, the passenger must gate check it. Anything over 20-21" is going to be "too tall."

I use a TUMI in what they call an "international carry on" size (20" x 13.75" x 8.25") and can easily pack for 4-6 days in it.

The key to packing light is to take clothes that are flexible and only one extra pair of shoes--something like ballet flats that pack almost flat. I pack a lot of silk knits, which are easy to hand wash and hard to wrinkle, and take up almost no space. I pack items that can go day to night with the addition of a pretty scarf and change from walking shoes to the aformentioned flats. I don't bring along items I won't need, and I'm not scared to be seen in the same thing more than once.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:32 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,342,060 times
annerk - excellent point. My husband travels frequently for one week stints. With compression bags he packs a daily change of underwear, shirts, and an extra pair of slacks for the week. He does not bring extra shoes. And, he has room to spare. If you know how to pack correctly, you can manage to get everything you need into regulation size carry on bag.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:00 PM

I don't use compression bags--they clothes always come out wrinkled, and you can never get things repacked as tightly as you started. If it doens't all fit comfortably (ie no need to force the zipper) when I'm at home packing, I'm taking too much.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:43 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,757,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
annerk - excellent point. My husband travels frequently for one week stints. With compression bags he packs a daily change of underwear, shirts, and an extra pair of slacks for the week. He does not bring extra shoes. And, he has room to spare. If you know how to pack correctly, you can manage to get everything you need into regulation size carry on bag.
Does your husband use a separate compression bag for each day he will be gone ?

Old 09-28-2009, 03:53 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,326,240 times
This is the best carry-on money can buy
LUGGAGEWORKS STOP-OVER STEALTH 22"

This one has a plastic frame and is lighter, for those who don't travel for a living
LuggageWorks 22" Executive Pilot Bag

You can easily pack for 4 days in it, longer if you pack lightly. It fits airlines carry-on requirements, and if not over packed will fit into the RJ overheads. Wheels included it's 22" long.

Last edited by wheelsup; 09-28-2009 at 04:03 PM..

Old 09-28-2009, 05:53 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,858,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I can get a week of clothes into an overnight without compression bag but with only one pair of shoes. I do, however use a "shirt packer" which is like a package that you fold shirts into. I find this to be a space efficient method and the shirts do not come out creased.

Just a word on brands. I have been very unhappy with Tumi bags several of which have broken quite easily. However, my experience with Briggs & Riley and with Samsonite have been very good. And they are cheaper than Tumi.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
This is the best carry-on money can buy
LUGGAGEWORKS STOP-OVER STEALTH 22"

This one has a plastic frame and is lighter, for those who don't travel for a living
LuggageWorks 22" Executive Pilot Bag

You can easily pack for 4 days in it, longer if you pack lightly. It fits airlines carry-on requirements, and if not over packed will fit into the RJ overheads. Wheels included it's 22" long.
It won't fit wheels in into some overheads, it's too tall. I've seen more and more FA's requiring gate check of bags that won't fit wheels in. I'd look for an international sized bag that's only 20" including wheels and handle.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I can get a week of clothes into an overnight without compression bag but with only one pair of shoes. I do, however use a "shirt packer" which is like a package that you fold shirts into. I find this to be a space efficient method and the shirts do not come out creased.

Just a word on brands. I have been very unhappy with Tumi bags several of which have broken quite easily. However, my experience with Briggs & Riley and with Samsonite have been very good. And they are cheaper than Tumi.
Interesting, I've had the same Tumi breifcase for 23 years now, it's got over a million miles on it. I finally retired my original Tumi pullman bag that also had over a million miles on it a couple of years ago after one of the major carriers damaged it beyond recognition. I opted for a roll-on, as I never check a bag anymore, haven't for going on five years.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:31 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,908,300 times
I haven't checked a bag for about 10, maybe 15 years.
I just use a small backpack and usually have no problems.
But it's getting harder and harder because these days everyone else wants to carry on, too.
On our trip to New Orleans last weekend, on two different flights (we had to make a connection in Atlanta) the crew, during boarding, had to make the announcement that overhead bin space was filled and that all other baggage must be checked.
Other than one guy who had a ridiculously large carryon, nobody seemed to be abusing the rules.
This was on a Boeing 717, we were fairly comfy but the overhead bin storage seemed lacking. I wonder how often this happens, and if it will begin happening more and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel