Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 06:25 PM

111 posts, read 435,488 times

Advertisements

On my last flight, a gentleman boaring ahead of me had a roller bag that was slightly large. The Northwest gate agent asked him to put it in their box to see if it was within the size requirements and it wouldn't fit, but it was just a slightly bigger than the box. He told them that he planned to put it on the floor and put his feet on it so he wouldn't inconvenience other passengers and he was allowed to take it on. Not sure with AA will do, but that's what Northwest did in that case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 04:57 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,771,155 times
Well I purchased a 20" carry-on and compression bags. Made a trial run and I think I will make it (6 nights / Seattle). Glad I tried out the compression bags as they do save space. The carry-on I purchased also has a compartment for my laptop and that fit in as well. I will also carry a small backpack. Thanks for all the insight.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:48 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times

YouTube - Overhead bin is not closing

Old 11-11-2009, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
The end of that video made me spill my coffee

Old 11-15-2009, 11:25 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
Is the bag have a more regular or usual shape (i.e. narrower than it is tall, rather than a square)? I haven't had any issues with my Samsonite bag, but my friend had problems with hers that was more square-shaped. Size-wise, it fit the requirements, but they still forced her to check it (making her furious). If it's the more standard rectangular shape you shouldn't have a problem as long as it's close to the requirements (even when full). I was stopped once at the gate for my bag, but was able to argue my way into keeping it by pointing out other people with the same sized bag who were already boarding the plane.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Is the bag have a more regular or usual shape (i.e. narrower than it is tall, rather than a square)? I haven't had any issues with my Samsonite bag, but my friend had problems with hers that was more square-shaped. Size-wise, it fit the requirements, but they still forced her to check it (making her furious). If it's the more standard rectangular shape you shouldn't have a problem as long as it's close to the requirements (even when full). I was stopped once at the gate for my bag, but was able to argue my way into keeping it by pointing out other people with the same sized bag who were already boarding the plane.
Well empty the bag measures 20X13X10 .....

Old 11-15-2009, 01:00 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
Well empty the bag measures 20X13X10 .....
For me empty v. full is more of an issue since my bag expands. But, it's also a little bigger than yours (hits the limit without being expanded), so if it's all puffed out I would have trouble fitting it in. For the friend I was referring to, her bag was something like 20x19x5, so it technically fit the size limit, but it was still rejected for being too wide. I don't think your bag would have that problem.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:28 AM

3 posts, read 5,253 times
If you're considering purchasing a new carry-on bag, I suggest making a list of all the features you need in a bag and divide it into "must-have" and "nice-to-have" features. It sounds like you like a bag with wheels. I personally like a soft-sided convertible bag with tuck-away backpack straps. Most of them have an empty weight that's less than that of a rolling bag, and I feel more mobile with a bag I can put on my back. In any case, Features of a perfect carry-on bag might be a useful resource: Features of a perfect carry-on bag - Packing Light TravelPacking Light Travel

Seasoned carry-on travellers tend to suggest packing the same for a week as for a month. It's doable. Choose mix-and-match quick-dry clothing, two or three pairs of shoes and dress in layers. Compression sacs are great, and other packing organizers that bundle and compress. Good luck.

Old 05-28-2016, 01:34 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Old thread, but perennial topic....

I never understood the appeal of luggage with a rigid frame, rigid (even if collapsible) handles and wheels. By my reckoning, light travel means soft luggage (leather or canvass), such as duffel-bags or student-style (as opposed to camping-style) backpacks. Even the smallest luggage with frame-and-wheels is difficult to accommodate in the overhead bins of the smaller regional jets, while even a large soft bag can be squished and prodded to conform to available space. If I were dictator of worldwide travel, I'd ban wheeled carry-on luggage, or fine passengers $50 per wheel. Carry-on means quite literally "carried", which is to say held by a strap to one's hand or one's shoulder, and not maneuvered across the floor.

Returning to the question sparking this thread, I've gone on 2-3 week business trip with only carry-on luggage (which to reiterate means soft frameless bags without wheels, carrying in my hands). The basic idea is to bring only one pair of shoes, which one already happens to be wearing; to bring only one business-suit, which again one happens to be wearing; and to wash all possible article of the clothing in the hotel's bathtub.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Yes, this is an old thread but it seems now days people are carrying more bags on and sending fewer through due to the charge. And yes, the secret is the packing. It is possible to pack for about a weeks travel using just one large carry on. the problem with this is: 1-the more bags brought on the slower getting through security and 2-the more brought on, the harder it is for some to find, even one overhead spot for their reasonable sized bag. I guess it is a matter of consideration versus paying way to much to ship bags through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel