Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:28 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
Who would consider Fairfield Inn a budget motel? Those are usually very nice and much more expensive then the true budget hotels listed, such as Red Roof, Econo, etc.
I consider them budget. They are clean and relatively comfortable, but I'd never consider them "very nice." The last couple I stayed in I thought were very budget priced. Different strokes I guess.

Marriott certainly considers them their budget properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 02:14 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:
Who would consider Fairfield Inn a budget motel? Those are usually very nice and much more expensive then the true budget hotels listed, such as Red Roof, Econo, etc.

I dont even consider La Quintas budget motels to be honest, but its closer.
Agree with you. Many Fairlields are approaching the $100 mark which makes them a terrible value although they have upgraded a bit and dumped about 30-40 of their oldest properties.

LaQuintas can be budget, especially in the southern states where I have received non-Priceline rates of $35-49.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:08 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,971,719 times
Yeah, i consider budget 30-70 bucks a night really.

G Man

Old 10-01-2009, 11:13 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,556 times
Quote:
Yeah, i consider budget 30-70 bucks a night really.

G Man
Agree.When I travel alone,budget budget is my choice,anything over 50 bucks is considered expensive.If I can find "Joes bargain Cozy Motel" for $29 a night might give Joe a try.Of course,since I travel with a weapon packed in a bag,the presence of blued steel on the nightstand offers comfort in strange places.Have a driving/sightseeing trip from SoCal into much of Arizona coming up later this month,so will see what comes up.There is always good old Motel 6 to fall back on,they seem to be almost everywhere.Should mention that when traveling with a Significant Other everything changes,then things get a bit more upscale.Would never ask a lady to stay in some of the dumps I stay in when alone.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:59 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,097,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Agree.When I travel alone,budget budget is my choice,anything over 50 bucks is considered expensive.If I can find "Joes bargain Cozy Motel" for $29 a night might give Joe a try.Of course,since I travel with a weapon packed in a bag,the presence of blued steel on the nightstand offers comfort in strange places.Have a driving/sightseeing trip from SoCal into much of Arizona coming up later this month,so will see what comes up.There is always good old Motel 6 to fall back on,they seem to be almost everywhere.Should mention that when traveling with a Significant Other everything changes,then things get a bit more upscale.Would never ask a lady to stay in some of the dumps I stay in when alone.
The bolded statement mede me LOL! It made me think of some of the flea-bag motels I've stayed in during my travels (hooooo-boy). Just be kind of careful and look @ the parts of town the motel is in. I've been in some hooker and drug dealer paradises in my day!

Old 10-02-2009, 07:55 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,971,719 times
Yeah no doubt, i treat a hotel as just a place to crash on most trips. If you are traveling with someone who is a little more picky than yourself then its a little harder then, haha.

G Man

Old 10-02-2009, 11:19 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:
Yeah no doubt, i treat a hotel as just a place to crash on most trips. If you are traveling with someone who is a little more picky than yourself then its a little harder then, haha.

G Man
With Priceline and Hotwire, you can generally find a quality 3*+ hotel for what you would pay for a Motel 6 in THAT market.

I think that I have been able to find a <$50 property in MOST markets short of Philadelphia, Boston, and New York.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:24 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,181,020 times
Days Inn

We always stayed at Super 8 and Motel 6, but stayed at Days Inn once and have been using them as our #1 preference ever since.

No complaints with Motel 6, but they aren't in as many places as the other 2 .

Old 10-02-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Should mention that when traveling with a Significant Other everything changes,then things get a bit more upscale.Would never ask a lady to stay in some of the dumps I stay in when alone.
And that might explain our different perspectives. I'm female, and would rather sleep in the car than a lot of the "budget" motel chains. Black curlies between the sheets and stains of known origin on the carpet, not to mention the dead roach floating in the toilet and mystery bug crawling on the wall are not my idea of a good place to sleep. (I've seen all of those, eww!)

Additionally, if traveling by myself I pretty much want a place with interior corridors, and am willing to pay extra for it.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
With Priceline and Hotwire, you can generally find a quality 3*+ hotel for what you would pay for a Motel 6 in THAT market.

I think that I have been able to find a <$50 property in MOST markets short of Philadelphia, Boston, and New York.
You're not going to find that in San Francisco, Napa, Portland, Washington, DC, and many other areas, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel