U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 08:31 AM

298 posts, read 957,823 times

Advertisements

Myself and 2 friends are doing a road trip from Washington,DC to Key West with a couple of overnight stops on the way.

We are trying to keep costs down so am investigating "budget" motels/hotels like Super 8 (we stayed in one in Toronto and it was pretty decent). However I can't think of the names of any other ones.

Can anyone help?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 12:10 PM

15,566 posts, read 27,288,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopy00 View Post
Myself and 2 friends are doing a road trip from Washington,DC to Key West with a couple of overnight stops on the way.

We are trying to keep costs down so am investigating "budget" motels/hotels like Super 8 (we stayed in one in Toronto and it was pretty decent). However I can't think of the names of any other ones.

Can anyone help?
Generally, the budget hotels are:

Super 8 - some of the better ones.
Motel 6 - a real step down, spartan but clean.
Red Roof - very variable, eusually clean.
Econo Lodge - generally pretty good, more amenities.
Microtel - usually pretty good but the one in Lafayette, LA was horrid.
LaQuinta - a step up from the rest and free rbeakfast.

Now if you have a computer, I would use Priceline/Hotwire to book a hotel the day taht you are planning to stay. However, you need to know where you will stop as their reservations are noncancellable/non-changeable.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:08 PM

13,880 posts, read 23,770,170 times
If it is a road trip, stop at the welcome centers as you pass into each state. Those coupon booklets can save you some real money. We had a coupon for a Holiday Inn Express this weekend that brought the rate from $136.00/night down to $79.00. Some of them are even less!

Old 09-27-2009, 06:17 PM

298 posts, read 957,823 times
Brilliant, thanks both. never thought about getting coupons!

Reps to both!

Old 09-27-2009, 07:19 PM

13,395 posts, read 42,977,331 times
Just a suggestion:
At least look at Couch Surfing. Just for one night.
It is a great way toget in touch with the culture of the country you are visiting.
And the price is right.
We did it in France and it was the highlight of our trip.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:43 PM

26,589 posts, read 58,782,405 times
Fairfield Inn by Marriott is about the best of the budgets.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:33 PM

3,726 posts, read 5,782,771 times
Default Online coupons.

Besides the earlier tips,try checking online for coupons.Enter discount motel coupons into a search engine.May not find good coupons to print out in the cities you plan to stay in,but could get lucky,if so,might save you some bucks.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:17 AM

6,995 posts, read 7,206,032 times
If you are planning on just finding a motel as you go, check out some of the independent motels along the way. They will not be anything fancy. However I have stayed at several that were just as nice as most of the franchise budget motels. I have even stayed at a few that were much nicer. You can always ask to see the room before checking in.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:52 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,750,296 times
Who would consider Fairfield Inn a budget motel? Those are usually very nice and much more expensive then the true budget hotels listed, such as Red Roof, Econo, etc.

I dont even consider La Quintas budget motels to be honest, but its closer.

Priceline is very good for saving a lot of money and the hotels you get are usually pretty decent. Ive gotten nice hotels for budget prices, for example.

One note about the coupon books. Make sure, once you get the book, you call the hotel before you stop. In my experience they usually try to pull the "all the rooms at that rate are sold out" and try to give you a higher rate. Once they have you in the lobby, i guess they figure you arent going to leave. If you phone ahead, it clears up this issue.

G Man

Old 09-30-2009, 10:10 AM

3,442 posts, read 6,115,541 times
If you know where you will be on any given night, ahead of time - try Hotwire.com. We used them when we just needed a place outside of Baltimore on our way over to Shenandoah area in VA. You tell them the number of stars you want and the general area and after you agree to the price you find out the name and exact location. I think we got the Holiday Inn for about $47.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel