Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 01:22 PM

17 posts, read 48,699 times

Advertisements

Snorkeling is awesome, and in many cases FREE once you have your own fins/mask/snorkel. Or you can rent them cheap.

When I lived in Hawaii, before my buddy would take me out snorkeling the first time, he insisted that I throw my mask and snorkel in the deep end of the pool. When I could come up with a clear mask and clear snorkel, I was ready. It actually took me several hours to master this! The value in it though is that it becomes 2nd nature, and you are far less likely to panic if your mask/snorkel fill. You also learn to always go underwater with a lungful, so that you can purge your snorkel when you come up.

It also made getting certified for scuba much easier. The other advice on how to do so here is generally good. Snorkels with the purge valves are worth it for sure. Much easier to purge. Spit does work but defoggers are probably better. Learning how to purge your snorkel is very important if you want to 'freedive' which means periodically heading for the bottom, and clearing your snorkel when you return with what's left in your lungs. I routinely freedove to 30-40 ft range after getting used to it (with fins of course).

In Kona, I would paddle out of the harbor, and snorkel for hours all by myself for free , although now they probably recommend a buddy. I did this on my days off. My scuba instructor who certified me eventually hired me away from the restaurant and I became a divemaster. Then on to commercial certification! All that from the humble beginnings of snorkel skills in a pool. Good luck. It's really awesome and then some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 01:31 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Practice in a pool before you go. It's not hard and you will have a ball. Get one of those disposable UW cameras too!

Old 12-27-2009, 07:57 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,152 times
People in Hawaii die frequently while snorkeling. I think here on Kauai two people have died in the past month and probably about 10-15 ppl this year. Make sure you are aware of your surroundings and remember that sometimes seeing that turtle/fish/seal/whatever isn't worth it if you are going to be swimming into a strong current which would take your life. This past death was caused by a tourist who wanted to see a turtle.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:59 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,152 times
And coral reefs are constantly suffering from people wearing sunscreen. The sun screen residue comes off in the water and can kill the coral. Get a rash guard to protect you from the sun and keep the coral alive! Also, unless it is generally accepted for the area, DO NOT feed the fish. You are entering an ecosystem that needs sustaining. By feeding a fish you are affecting the ecosystem and allowing the fish to become more dependent on humans. If you are going to feed the fish, do not feed the fish frozen peas- fish cannot digest them!

In my years in Hawaii I have seen it all when it comes to snorkeling.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:36 PM

6 posts, read 31,693 times
Lots of good advice above. There are natural responses to choking in snorkeling, mainly just tip your neck up and breathe through your mouth at the surface, but at first your body doesnt know which natural responses to use. you know you are really snorkeling when your swimming moves come naturally and move you just the right amount or keep you steady in the water despite the waves.

sure, its easy to drown snorkeling-- you can even drown in the bathtub and many people do. however, if you keep to shallow water, there shouldnt be a problem. from my research, the most common cause of fatalities and near-disasters come from 1) getting pulled out to sea by (usually) a strong wind, abetted by strong currents, 2) having the tide come in or out leaving you stranded, like in Figi, 3) getting too tired + cold and/or having cramps and not being able to swim sensibly or effectively, 3) getting bashed by surf on rocks and hurt. Once again, common sense and staying in shallow water keep you safe from most of these. The same with scary fish.

you can save the reef from sunblock by wearing a nylon/poly/lycra dive skin-- or nylon shirt/pants, or even tee-shirt/jeans. the fancier clothes cost a few bucks, but they last many seasons with care, keep you from becomming chilled, and provide other advantages.
there arent many snorkeling books, but i have one coming out at the end of april on amazon.com-- The Ultimate Snorkeling Book. If you check it out and like it, let me know.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:56 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
1. Don't go alone.
2. Be careful if you're a contact lens wearer. One of mine is at the bottom of Haunama Bay.
3.Have a great time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel