Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2007, 01:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,730 times

Advertisements

I am going to have a one-month vacation and I’d like to take this chance to have a good rest, always working in the office, working overtime, sleeping until midnight, really tired, I want to change my mood and then come back to work with energetic spirit. Where can I spend a meaningful and entertaining vacation and allot time reasonably, as a result of a large amount of work everyday, I don’t have too much time to exercise during my spare time, so any good trip resort for sports, is much better, I find perth australia, almeria and so on are wonderful travel websites, also its cheap accommodation, scrumptious cuisine, kind local people should be considered. I’d like hear more opinions from you. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 10:41 AM

274 posts, read 855,209 times
I would definitely recommend going to the Orkney Islands in the north of Scotland. They're a bit remote, but within one day's travel from Glasgow. I went there several years ago (my family is originally from the islands), and it may be the most naturally beautiful place I've ever seen. The people are incredibly friendly, and the light is beautiful over the rocky cliffs and the North Sea. There are many walking tours and ancient sites (much older than Stonehenge), as well as golf courses and opportunities for kayaking, canoeing, and fishing. The islands were also used in WWII as a place to keep captured German boats imprisoned, and at some point, the Germans sank all of their own ships to avoid having to give them over to the Allies... there are shipwreck and glassbottom boat tours where you can actually see the sunken ships beneath the channel. The boat tours are also a good opportunity to see seals, puffins, etc.

If you go, I would suggest staying at a B&B... there are a lot of really unique lodging options, and the homemade breakfasts are great. The one downside of the islands is that the food options aren't huge... although if you want things like fresh fish and homemade jams, those are always available. I have to say, though, after traveling through the UK, the local food up in the Orkneys was MUCH better than in places like Inverness...ick.

If you're interested, check out the Orkney tourism website:
VisitOrkney - Accommodation, transport, tours, islands, history, holidays

or PM me.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel