U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:59 AM

431 posts, read 1,559,373 times

Advertisements

Belgium, but the Flemish side more than the French side. It's just such a great laid back vibe there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 10:13 PM

492 posts, read 2,179,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjbulls View Post
Belgium, but the Flemish side more than the French side. It's just such a great laid back vibe there.
Wow I was reading down the list of posts wondering if anyone was going to mention Belgium and tah-dah! it was the very last one! I don't know if it's my favorite, but I do love Belgium--the Flemish part. Ghent, Brugge and Brussels are all great. The old architecture in the center of the towns is amazing.

Netherlands is also a very cool place. I love how bike-riding is so popular there. And I think the countryside is beautiful. Not breath-taking, but very nice. And Amsterdam is one of my favorite cities of all time! It's great for partying, but also just for sitting along side a canal, chatting with a friend well into the night.

Italy is also a favorite. Before my last trip I was outvoted. I wanted to spend 2 weeks in Spain, but the others wanted Italy. So I had a vendetta against the country! But I was thoroughly surprised by how much I liked it. Siena was my favorite small town and Rome for a big city. There's a lot of variety in Italy, from the mountains and lakes up north, to Tuscany in the center. While going from Venice to Florence I swear we drove through Brazil!!!

I don't mean to open a can of worms here, but I thought Paris was overrated. Each time I've gone there I've been dissapointed. I get a strange vibe there, as if there were huge underlying issues in the social fabric. It is a very unsettling feeling. It seems as if it is a city on decline. I like the feel of London, NYC, and Rome better than Paris. Has anyone else had a similar experience with Paris???

Old 07-23-2007, 03:46 AM

13,386 posts, read 41,507,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmanite View Post

I don't mean to open a can of worms here, but I thought Paris was overrated. Each time I've gone there I've been dissapointed. I get a strange vibe there, as if there were huge underlying issues in the social fabric. It is a very unsettling feeling. It seems as if it is a city on decline. I like the feel of London, NYC, and Rome better than Paris. Has anyone else had a similar experience with Paris???
The very first time I visited Paris, I was 23 years old and felt less than a warm welcome there.
Since then, I have visited about 3 times and loved it more each visit.
The last two times, I was with someone who was fluent in the language and quite knowledgeable with the culture, so that helped.
I think there *are* underlying issues in the social fabric, but I think this is the case right now all over the Western Hemisphere.
FWIW
I still prefer London, and Rome is probably my favorite large European city.
But there are those who detest those places and vow to never set foot in them again. We're all different--and that's good.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:48 AM

578 posts, read 2,920,274 times
I actually prefer Paris to London, only gone to Paris 2wice but I always thought London was overrated imo, I like the feel of Paris and the people are much nicer there.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:38 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,428,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
I actually prefer Paris to London, only gone to Paris 2wice but I always thought London was overrated imo, I like the feel of Paris and the people are much nicer there.

I am not keen on London either and find it so over-rated too. It always makes me feel so provincial as if everybody there knows exactly where they are going and I don't. It's also way too trendy for me, it's like everybody feels they have to be seen in the "latest" whatever. I don't find it a pretty city either, so much was destroyed in the war that the city is really "bitty" and lacks architectural coherence. All the different attractions seem so far apart and walking there is really not very pleasant at all.

Paris to me is a far more human scale city where everything is within walking distance, the public transport is way better and the pace of life still slower due to all the different city "arrondissements" which are more like villages all with different characters. It's much more beautiful than London too IMO .

However my favourite cities in Europe would have to be Florence , Lisbon, Budapest, Dubrovnik,Prague or Tallinn . All stunning places, great atmosphere and tons to see and do. I love Rome too but it's so big and there is so much to do it gets a bit overwhelming ( avoid summer at all costs IMO).

Old 07-23-2007, 10:00 AM

578 posts, read 2,920,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I am not keen on London either and find it so over-rated too. It always makes me feel so provincial as if everybody there knows exactly where they are going and I don't. It's also way too trendy for me, it's like everybody feels they have to be seen in the "latest" whatever. I don't find it a pretty city either, so much was destroyed in the war that the city is really "bitty" and lacks architectural coherence. All the different attractions seem so far apart and walking there is really not very pleasant at all.

Paris to me is a far more human scale city where everything is within walking distance, the public transport is way better and the pace of life still slower due to all the different city "arrondissements" which are more like villages all with different characters. It's much more beautiful than London too IMO .

However my favourite cities in Europe would have to be Florence , Lisbon, Budapest, Dubrovnik,Prague or Tallinn . All stunning places, great atmosphere and tons to see and do. I love Rome too but it's so big and there is so much to do it gets a bit overwhelming ( avoid summer at all costs IMO).
I do like London as a city its the only major city in the UK I like, but imo it is far overrated when compared to other majoe cities in the world and the attitude of people there is far worse than New Yorkers even though there is this stigma that New Yorkers are supposedly arrogant.

Moving about around Paris is very good if comparing to London and the traffic moves due to probably better road layouts but I was impressed with the city of Paris.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:50 AM

431 posts, read 1,559,373 times
Quote:
Wow I was reading down the list of posts wondering if anyone was going to mention Belgium and tah-dah! it was the very last one! I don't know if it's my favorite, but I do love Belgium--the Flemish part. Ghent, Brugge and Brussels are all great. The old architecture in the center of the towns is amazing.

Netherlands is also a very cool place. I love how bike-riding is so popular there. And I think the countryside is beautiful. Not breath-taking, but very nice. And Amsterdam is one of my favorite cities of all time! It's great for partying, but also just for sitting along side a canal, chatting with a friend well into the night.

See, I don't like Amsterdam at all. I find it dreary, seedy, and depressing. If you like Belgium, next time you go to Holland, go to Eindhoven. It's my absolute favorite city in Holland. It's very laid back, it's Dutch, but it really has the Belgian vibe.

I forgot to mention how nice Newcastle is too. London is great as a tourist, but we stayed with a relative in Newcastle so found a lot of unique local places that made it a lot of fun.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:14 AM

172 posts, read 569,415 times
Quote:
I agree 100% (though I have never been to London, I want to quite badly though). Paris was nice, but it is very overrated. I also felt as though something was off with the place, and I do not know why, but I agree it is a city on the decline. I felt that NYC, Berlin, Rome, and even Los Angeles were MUCH more impressive than Paris (a lot will disagree about Los Angeles, but, that is my opinion). I also felt better in those other cities than Paris.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:13 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,428,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjbulls View Post
See, I don't like Amsterdam at all. I find it dreary, seedy, and depressing. If you like Belgium, next time you go to Holland, go to Eindhoven. It's my absolute favorite city in Holland. It's very laid back, it's Dutch, but it really has the Belgian vibe.

I forgot to mention how nice Newcastle is too. London is great as a tourist, but we stayed with a relative in Newcastle so found a lot of unique local places that made it a lot of fun.
It's funny, I didn't like Amsterdam at all either. I went in April and everybody was rude, the renowned tolerance of the Dutch was completely absent as it counted as the worst place I had been as a disabled person. The cyclists had a real attitude problem towards pedestrians and couldn't cycle to save their lives, and our whole experience was really quite dire. I very much enjoyed the rest of the Netherlands but Amsterdam in my opinion was way, way over-rated.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:16 PM

3,905 posts, read 6,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
I like the Germans...very nononsense and professional.
My sentiments also!!!:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or