Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 04:37 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,164 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to come up with plans for a long (2-3 week) trip that my husband and I are planning on taking next summer.

We live in San Diego, and we're wanting to explore Seattle, Vancouver, Banff, Glacier National Park, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons Park, and possibly down to Salt Lake City and beyond (if we drive).

Right now I'm trying to work out the flying to Seattle/back to San Diego from Salt Lake City and renting a car vs. driving the whole way. It's not so much the money that concerns me, just if the whole drive in between the stops will be worthwhile (or just time wasted that we could have flown).

We don't mind driving 7-8 hours per day. I've done the drive up the CA coast before, from San Diego to San Francisco, but never north of that.

Has anyone done a similar trip before? Any insight about it?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 04:52 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
You are going to do a lot of driving. While you say you don't mind driving, you are going to spend as much time driving to all of those locations as you will when you get there.

Personally, I prefer to spend more time actually seeing the area as opposed to trying to see everything in a relatively short period. For example, on our first trip to Washington State, we went to Missoula, MT, Couer d'Alene, Spokane, Vancouver, BC, Victoria, BC, and the Olympic peninsula in ten days. I really do not remember a thing except that be drove over 3000 miles.

Next week, we fly into Seattle, spend three days there and spend four days in Vancouver, BC. It will be a much more relaxed trip and we will get to see the cities. Our trip before that was limited to Vancouver Island.

As for renting a car, I think that is a great idea. I like to fly into the area that we are touring rather than driving endless hours to get to our final destination

We like to fly into a central location and fly out of the same location. This allows us to get a good car rental rate and allows us to book the hotel nights on the first and last nights. For example, if we are going to explore Utah, we head to either SLC or Las Vegas.

If you are planning to travel to the National Parks, realize that they are really crazy during the summer months. You should make reservations several months ahead as the best places often sell out. If the economy does not improve, you may be able to make the plans with less advance notice.

Sounds like a blast. I wish I could get more than ten months off at a tome!!!

Old 10-11-2009, 06:01 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,725,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If you are planning to travel to the National Parks, realize that they are really crazy during the summer months. You should make reservations several months ahead as the best places often sell out. If the economy does not improve, you may be able to make the plans with less advance notice.
I think the Canadian National parks are far less crowded than America.

We drove to Banff and Lake Louise in mid summer more or less on a whim a couple of years ago, and had absolutely no problems finding rooms and we had no advance reservations.

Lake Louise is amazing. The nearby town also has the nicest hostel on the planet. Totally recommend it. Cheap.

Attached pic of the Lake Louise Lodge where I had the most beautiful lunch of a lifetime (couldn't afford to stay there ) but lunch was divine and I remember it still.....

Go. The Canadian Rockies are far more majestic and far less crowded than the American Rockies. Really beyond beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails
Next summer trip planning--Pacific NW, Banff, Yellowstone-lakelouise3.jpg  

Old 10-11-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
You are going to do a lot of driving. While you say you don't mind driving, you are going to spend as much time driving to all of those locations as you will when you get there.

Personally, I prefer to spend more time actually seeing the area as opposed to trying to see everything in a relatively short period. For example, on our first trip to Washington State, we went to Missoula, MT, Couer d'Alene, Spokane, Vancouver, BC, Victoria, BC, and the Olympic peninsula in ten days. I really do not remember a thing except that be drove over 3000 miles.

Next week, we fly into Seattle, spend three days there and spend four days in Vancouver, BC. It will be a much more relaxed trip and we will get to see the cities. Our trip before that was limited to Vancouver Island.

As for renting a car, I think that is a great idea. I like to fly into the area that we are touring rather than driving endless hours to get to our final destination

We like to fly into a central location and fly out of the same location. This allows us to get a good car rental rate and allows us to book the hotel nights on the first and last nights. For example, if we are going to explore Utah, we head to either SLC or Las Vegas.

Sounds like a blast. I wish I could get more than ten months off at a tome!!!
I'm beginning to think that perhaps we're better off splitting this "trip" into two; one focusing on Seattle/Vancouver/Victoria, and flying in and out of Seattle, and another perhaps at a later date going to Banff, Glacier and Yellowstone parks by flying into Calgary. Then we won't waste time driving, which when I actually took the time to map it out with stops, it was pretty daunting.

We would plan on going sometime other than summer, but there are issues with the aforementioned parks being closed due to winter conditions. I'll definitely be planning early for the hotels though!

Yeah, being flexible with time off is one of the perks of working for ourselves.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I think the Canadian National parks are far less crowded than America.

We drove to Banff and Lake Louise in mid summer more or less on a whim a couple of years ago, and had absolutely no problems finding rooms and we had no advance reservations.

Lake Louise is amazing. The nearby town also has the nicest hostel on the planet. Totally recommend it. Cheap.

Attached pic of the Lake Louise Lodge where I had the most beautiful lunch of a lifetime (couldn't afford to stay there ) but lunch was divine and I remember it still.....

Go. The Canadian Rockies are far more majestic and far less crowded than the American Rockies. Really beyond beautiful.
Banff/Lake Louise just seems beyond amazing. I can't wait to see it.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Currently flights are cheap and the best way to travel. (can't buy much gas for $80 one-way fares).

I'd fly to Portland (pretty cheap ($80)+ MAYBE cheaper rental cars than Seattle) I would use a car dealer or 'in-town-agency' for rental, as airport fees are bad. Our previous $12 - $16 priceline cars are now $50.

You should see the Oregon Coast and Columbia Gorge + Seattle / Vancouver BC. (San Juan and Gulf Islands) + North Cascades, Olympic, Rainer National Park + St Helens.

I think Calgary is a great destination for Banff and Glacier NP areas

I would use Salt Lake City for Yellowstone / Colorado trip.

I prefer to stay in private Guest homes ~$20 / night, but when in ski resort areas, find and OLD lodge that is not too popular. Summer stays have been great, often the only resident in the lodge!! Choice of rooms.

If you drive... I do the long stretches at night and take a nap a few times during the day.

2 wks is not enough time for your region, I would do it in 3 trips. I would do the Colorado / Yellowstone trip in late Sept (aspen colors, light traffic in Yellowstone). (I've done lots of 'tripping' for last 40 yrs, and am really good at biting off more than my passengers can enjoyably chew) Smell the roses! (Portland is 'Rose-City'). Take 'back-roads', visit with the locals (one reason I like guest homes).

Old 10-12-2009, 01:11 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
I'm beginning to think that perhaps we're better off splitting this "trip" into two; one focusing on Seattle/Vancouver/Victoria, and flying in and out of Seattle, and another perhaps at a later date going to Banff, Glacier and Yellowstone parks by flying into Calgary. Then we won't waste time driving, which when I actually took the time to map it out with stops, it was pretty daunting.
You would be a lot better off flying into either Billings or Salt Lake City to hit Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. Glacier to Yellowstone would be a LONG drive.

As for rental cars, Fatwallet is a good resource for rental car deals. Book early and book often. When I went to book next week's rental our of the Seattle airport, the best deal I could do is $550 for nine days. After a few tries, I was able to find a rental car from Hertz or Alamo in DT Seattle for $240.

You have plenty of time to do the planning.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:34 PM

12 posts, read 83,637 times
my husband and i are planning to fly into Calgary, do banff and jasper for a week, drive down to yellowstone and mt. teton. fly out of montana or something.
has anyone done this? how is the driving? we think we may 2 days to drive and spend 3 or 4 days at yellowstone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel