Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 06:40 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,103 times

Advertisements

Booked airfare/car rental/ hotel -not package from same site- and just heard Hertz does a credit check w/ Equifax for debit card users in addition to freezing up to $500 for rental.
This is for Thanksgiving and I prepaid, but now see 'debit cards' can't be used for prepay- eventhough the money has been taken from my checking account.
When I arrive to Hertz, they will do a credit check (so their site says) and due to my extremely low score, I'll be denied.
Anyone know which car rental companies do not run a credit check? I don't mind the funds being frozen, it's the credit check that will do me in.
My plan is to contact Hertz today by email to let them know I pre-paid w/ a debit card and have learned they don't accept that for pre-pay...so for them to cancel the reservation since I don't qualify.
But I need a rental car or I'll have to cancel the whole trip -am visiting my daughter in the Army- first Thanksgiving away from home.
The airport is PHX. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 07:27 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,128 times
I'm in the same boat, so I feel your pain. If there is a Rent A Wreck in your area try them: Also Enterprise. I've heard tell on this very forum, that the best bet is to deal with off - airport locations. Good luck

Rent-A-Wreck.com - Car Rental - Rent a used car and save! 30 years of providing great cars and great service!

Enterprise Rent-A-Car - Rental Cars at Low Rates

Old 10-26-2009, 07:45 AM

225 posts, read 1,075,058 times
I used a debit card / check card with Enterprise once and they insisted on checking at least one, if not two, recent fully paid utility bills. I had never heard of such a thing but their explanation was that since it is a personal account, so to speak, the funds could be drawn out before the return of the rental. They also said all car rental companies do this with the check cards. It seemed strange to me but that was the policy (about 2 years ago) and what could I do but oblige? Definitely check with the location/company about policies before hand so you are not caught with any surprises.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:37 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
If using a debit card they all do credit checks as far as I know. Maybe your way around is to take the cash and get a prepaid credit card???

Old 10-26-2009, 09:11 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I think you need to check with each individual car rental company as not all of them want to rent cars out to non-credit card holders.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:52 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Spirit View Post
I used a debit card / check card with Enterprise once and they insisted on checking at least one, if not two, recent fully paid utility bills. I had never heard of such a thing but their explanation was that since it is a personal account, so to speak, the funds could be drawn out before the return of the rental. They also said all car rental companies do this with the check cards. It seemed strange to me but that was the policy (about 2 years ago) and what could I do but oblige? Definitely check with the location/company about policies before hand so you are not caught with any surprises.
Yes they do this if you rent in the same state you live but I think if you are picking up in a different state then you just have to show your round trip ticket. To echo everyone else, call the rental car location directly and get all the info up front. It's a shame that they do this to people IMO. They put a hold on your debit card anyway so they shouldn't be worried about the money bieng spent.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:20 PM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
I pulled this off Thrifty's site...unfortunately I think all the rental companies at airports follow this
If you know your credit score/fico just call and ask what the minimun score has to be

UnsupportedBrowser

Old 10-26-2009, 06:12 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,130 times
Unless they've changed recently, Alamo doesn't even take a deposit. I just got lucky on a name your own price that gave me Alamo, thank goodness.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:44 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
We use Enterrpise frequently. We don't have a CC only our debit and they do not check credit either.
I would contact Hertz ASAP and find out and I think I would walk in and chat face to face as opposed to email or phone, that always is best, IMO.

Good luck, have a good trip.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:34 PM

225 posts, read 1,075,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
Yes they do this if you rent in the same state you live but I think if you are picking up in a different state then you just have to show your round trip ticket. To echo everyone else, call the rental car location directly and get all the info up front. It's a shame that they do this to people IMO. They put a hold on your debit card anyway so they shouldn't be worried about the money bieng spent.

I see. It was within the same state - same town actually. I didn't realize at the time and it shocked me. Thanks for the further information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel