Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:15 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,283 times

Advertisements

Here's the deal; I'm 33 and have flown 7 times. Each time it got harder to get on the plane. Last time we landed in Chicago (December) it was a very rocky landing. Scared me to death. Most people I hear have an easier time flying the more they do it...with me it's quite the opposite.
My first time flying was in 2005 from Chicago to Los Angeles and I jumped right on th eplane never thinking twice. Not even a remote worry. It was fun actually! But then each time after I got worse and worse and now I am to the point where I can't go visit my friend in L.A. this month because I start to shake and have a panic attack when I get online to order my air ticket. I just can't get myself to do it again.
My friend leaves for his move to Australia and now I will probably never get to see him again because of this stupid phobia. Anyone know how to break this? Or do I need a shrink? Thanks.

Last edited by Crew Chief; 11-06-2009 at 06:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 02:20 PM

551 posts, read 1,574,139 times
Ask the Doctor for some anxiety pills pre flight or a sleeping pill. I don't like flying either but I am not as afraid as you it sounds like. I usually have a glass or two of wine and that helps me. If we hit any turbulence or bad weather though;I will be suqeezing someone's hand!

Old 11-04-2009, 02:29 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,275 times
There are programmes for people who are phobic about flying as there are many like you. Don't know how to find one...guess you could just google it.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:31 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times
I always get a prescription for sleeping tablets from my doctor and take about 3 at once on any long-distance flight. And I've been flying since I was a baby! I hate it. I hate the turbulence, the boredom, the cramped conditions - but it's the only way to get there. A really good book might also help if you can get engrossed enough to switch off. Get some earplugs too.

I think there are some organisations around the country that have flight simulators to help people get over a serious phobia but it costs. Might be worth a try though. Perhaps your local airport can recommend someone?

Old 11-04-2009, 02:33 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times
Get Xanex. I'm not a fan of drugs in general, but that's what enables my wife to fly. When I found out that it also let her sleep through most flights, I started taking hits myself simply because I get so bored on the plane. Five hour flight to DC from Seattle and I only had to kill two hours of it--sweet!

Old 11-04-2009, 02:45 PM

664 posts, read 1,946,341 times
Ativan or Valium....seriously...I am not a huge fan of medication but if you need it you need it. Don't be scared when you don't have to.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:48 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,774 times
Read this thread. Maybe it will help, maybe it won't. A lot of people told me that they printed it out for when they fly. //www.city-data.com/forum/trave...ml#post1014200

Bonus points to whoever spots the typo first.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:44 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Read this thread. Maybe it will help, maybe it won't. A lot of people told me that they printed it out for when they fly. //www.city-data.com/forum/trave...ml#post1014200

Bonus points to whoever spots the typo first.
Thanks to everyone. It helps to read that, but the mechanic needs to admit that as well as these planes are maintained they do still crash from time to time.
Also read someone said "I can't even enjoy my vacation because I am so scared of the flight home." That sentence sums it up for me too. Last December I flew from South Bend Indiana to L.A. with a connection in Cinn, OH. 2 flights of sheer hell. Then I arrived in Los Angeles, spent a week with my friend and was pretty depressed the whole time because I knew; 1. I had to go back to Indiana, and 2. I had to get on 2 more death traps to get there. Then I got home and felt an amazing release of pressure in my brain and in my nerves...it was over, at last, it was over.
I got a serious problem here with this, think I'm gonna call a doc.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:15 PM

111 posts, read 435,445 times
Other than the rough landing, have you had anything that you would consider to be a bad experience while flying?

I don't know how to help you with your fear, but maybe you could call your friend and maybe arrange for him to come visit you for a weekend or whatever instead if you really can't get on a plane again. If you were considering paying to fly to see him, why not book a ticket for him to come see you for a few days instead so you can at least see him before he moves.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:56 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Just google car crashes. Perhaps that will lead you to pictures of cars that are unidentifiable, dried blood on the steering wheel or soaked into the seats, tufts of hair sticking to the roof of the car, or perhaps a car that was rear-ended and front-ended at the same time, resulting in looking like a metal pancake with red syrup on top.

Perhaps that will help you get into a plane again.

Just don't take someone like Red Skelton along on your trip. After years of persuasion, he finally got his mother to fly out to Hollywood from Pennsylvania one time. Just a few minutes into the flight, he takes out a scrapbook of pictures of airplane crashes to show to his mother. Very, very dark humor, that man had. Sounds like something I'd do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel