Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 07:17 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,085 times

Advertisements

First time overseas traveler who is going with an spry but elderly father. We'll be flying overnight and I can't see anyway we can do 10 hours in economy and get one minute of sleep.

I see some airlines (British Air and Virgin) offer a "Premium Economy" with slightly bigger seats that recline a few extra inches with a little extra leg room. We're not rich but we're not broke either, and I'd like to lessen the jet lag issues. Would we be able to grab a few hours sleep in those seats and are they worth the extra price?

Second question. Or can we "split" a ticket and go Business Class over but Economy on the way home? (The way home will be during the day, so no need to sleep.)

We've never traveled at all, much less internationally, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 07:23 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,379,307 times
We've flown premium economy on an airline that's now gone bust - Zoom. Good leg room and bigger seats, but for me unless I'm in a lie flat bed, I don't sleep.

Yes, you can do business class one way but it must be all legs of the flight. We are doing that when we go to Australia next week - economy on the way there and business all the way back.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:31 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,063 times
Perhaps you could purchase 2 one way tickets. One for over and one for back and get what you want that way.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:13 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,780,328 times
I got upgraded to Premium Economy on BA once and it is fantastic, makes a big difference on a long flight. However, last time I checked it was double the cost of economy. That's way too much of a premium for me... I mean I could just buy 2 economy seats if it was double and get more space! the pricing didn't make much sense to me.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Perhaps you could purchase 2 one way tickets. One for over and one for back and get what you want that way.
You don't need to do that. Just book it economy on the way there and business or premium economy on the way back. One way tickets cost a fortune!

Old 11-07-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
You don't need to do that. Just book it economy on the way there and business or premium economy on the way back. One way tickets cost a fortune!
That's exactly what I'm thinking of doing -- business on the way over so we can hopefully get some sleep overnight, and then economy on the way back during the day when we muddle through. I'm hoping that if we can be comfortable on the way over, we won't be dragging so much during our first day in London. Once we get home, it doesn't matter so much if we're jet lagged.

At first blush, it seems like we can go business there and economy back for just about the same price as premium economy both ways.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
That's exactly what I'm thinking of doing -- business on the way over so we can hopefully get some sleep overnight, and then economy on the way back during the day when we muddle through. I'm hoping that if we can be comfortable on the way over, we won't be dragging so much during our first day in London. Once we get home, it doesn't matter so much if we're jet lagged.

At first blush, it seems like we can go business there and economy back for just about the same price as premium economy both ways.
The first time we were upgraded to business class was on an overnight flight and we were amazed how good we felt when we got home. Usually we feel like total zombies, almost like we've been tortured. And you get treated so well in business. Food is much better as well.

What airline are you taking? Heathrow or Gatwick? Both are massive places.

Have a nice time. London is a great place to visit especially if you like history.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
The first time we were upgraded to business class was on an overnight flight and we were amazed how good we felt when we got home. Usually we feel like total zombies, almost like we've been tortured.
That encourages me that I may be on the right track! No use to spending 5 days in London if you will be completely jet lagged for the first three!

Quote:
What airline are you taking? Heathrow or Gatwick? Both are massive places.
No decision yet although we are leaning towards British Airways since they fly out of our city. Virgin does not, but Continental does. So almost certainly BA or Continental. Stay away from Delta, correct? In any case, almost certain to go through Heathrow or Gatwick, which ever saves us money.

Quote:
Have a nice time. London is a great place to visit especially if you like history.
Thanks! Everyone on this forum has been very kind and helpful.

History is all we are interested in, which is why we are hopeful we can do London some justice in such a short time. We don't care about shopping or the wax museum or the other touristy things.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,006,830 times
I always considered economy on BA to be a step up from economy on other airlines.
I have heard really good things about Virgin, but have never flown with them.
We used Continental to go to France last spring and they were okay ( not as good as BA, but cheaper.)
Of the two airports, Gatwick feels a bit smoother, and is a pleasanter train connection (Gatwick Express) and you can buy tickets online.
However, Heathrow is not unbearable. Like you, we've always just gone with whichever airfare was cheaper, so did not have a choice in airports.
As you may already know, many of London's museums are free.
20 Free Museums
My favorite free activity is Speaker's Corner at Hyde Park.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:53 AM

I don't often take US based airlines anymore, so can't really say about Delta. Virgin is okay, BA can be okay. No guarantees on any of them. We'll be taking Continental at xmas because they are the only one which is nonstop to Detroit from Glasgow, and because their airmiles transfer to our favourite airline - Emirates.

Everybody complains about Heathrow much more than Gatwick.

Are you only in London for 5 days? Not misses would be Westminster Abbey, Tower of London, British Museum, you can do a trip to Hampton Court Palace, Windsor Castle, Greenwich, and of course you'll see Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament.

I suggest you get your meals at a pub. Usually pretty good and the price is right. If you can find a Wetherspoons they are cheap and pretty good. You can get a big breakfast for just a couple of pounds. All of Britain is non-smoking in places of business now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel