Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 11:30 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
I want to go to France, Italy, Spain, Greece, Caribbean, Hawaii, Australia, Dubai, England, Any German-country, Thailand, Hong Kong, Mexico, Las Vegas, CANADA ahhhhhhh!!
Step 1: save money when you can. I set up a separate Capital One money market account that I refer to as my "travel fund". I figured out that I could save $xxx per month, and have it automatically pulled from my main account to the money market. It adds up, as does the interest. Also, keeping the money "out of sight, out of mind" helps me save more. I can also easily pull money out of the account, should some emergency come up where I need the money for something else.

Step 2: keep an eye out for deals. Sign up for email newsletters like TravelZoo, CheapCaribbean, or BookIt. They'll send you weekly discounts and specials, and if you see something you like you can book it. Try to find like-minded friends to go with too, as sharing a room will help to cut the costs. If you're a student you can get an ISIC card to get further discounts.

Step 3: relax and enjoy the planning and fantasizing stage. You're young and have many more miles to travel in your future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 10:29 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I can't get enough of traveling, its needed for my sanity lol.
Me too! I HAVE to get out of town once a month or once every other month at the least. Even if it is to the next state, whatever gets me out of town for a bit.

When I was a kid, my parents and I would regularly take trips to Alabama to see family and the occasional trip to Florida for vacations...ALL by car with the exception of maybe 2 or 3 times.
When I turned 16, I became obsessed with road trips and took my first trip out of state by myself about two weeks after I got my license (to TN, AL & FL: all in one trip). Since then, I have visited over half the states in the U.S. and even driven up to Ontario in Canada. I want to see the world but my strategy is seeing my own backyard first (The States) before venturing too much off the continent. I'm almost there! Been to 31 states (including DC)...22 of those states have been within the past 8 years.

States I've been to (all driven to): Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Dist. of Columbia, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia

Old 11-16-2009, 12:24 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
I agree with the others to save and build a skill to make money. However when I was young I wanted to travel. Had no obligations no binds. Instead I listened to everyone in family build a careeer don't be irresponsible. So I didn't travel out of country. Did many horse trips in world around me which is also good. But I really miss that I didn't do it when I was young - took till 40 to start traveling and sad to say I am not as dare devil or atheletic as I was once. Not stupid dare devil be smart about it.

Todays economy isn't the same you very seldom get a job and stay at it for many years and retire anymore. Save money get a job bartending while studying and travel as much as you can while your young. You can always pick up a job bartending where ever your at. Do find a skill - job that can make enough money to continue to travel into the rest of your life. Enjoy!!

Old 11-16-2009, 01:50 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
I always LOVE watching Travel Channel
I used to love watching the Travel Channel too…until they became another Food Network with some ghost shows sprinkled in.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:23 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
I agree with the others to save and build a skill to make money. However when I was young I wanted to travel. Had no obligations no binds. Instead I listened to everyone in family build a careeer don't be irresponsible. So I didn't travel out of country. Did many horse trips in world around me which is also good. But I really miss that I didn't do it when I was young - took till 40 to start traveling and sad to say I am not as dare devil or atheletic as I was once.
The way I always looked at it, "get a job" doesn't mean "get a job here". There are a lot of opportunities to go abroad for a year and teach English or get involved in some sort of non-profit. If you're in college, sign up for study abroad (even if it's a short summer program). Even better, you'll make contacts all over the world (read: free lodging when you visit). Travelling when you're young also has the benefit in that you can be completely selfish. You don't have kids, a spouse, or a house to take care of, just yourself. Aside from retirement, I have a decent car (that I don't really need) and no interest in buying a house, so all of my savings are my "travel fund". It's not much, but has been plenty to give myself a big trip each year as well as a few smaller ones.

Being "responsible" is important, but no one says you can't have a little fun while you're at it. Stashing away even a little bit of money a month really does add up, and before you know it you've got plenty to take a trip somewhere.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:23 AM

60 posts, read 140,306 times
If you want to see it all why dont you go out and do it? There are tons of affordable ways to get to places you proabably want to go, and once you get anywhere in Europe it is not hard to get to the next if you know what I mean! You are only 19 you will get there, where in Sweden did you live?

Old 11-18-2009, 08:45 AM

594 posts, read 1,200,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesabi View Post
If you want to see it all why dont you go out and do it? There are tons of affordable ways to get to places you proabably want to go, and once you get anywhere in Europe it is not hard to get to the next if you know what I mean! You are only 19 you will get there, where in Sweden did you live?
30 km south of Stockholm, in a city called Sodertalje

Old 11-18-2009, 08:04 PM

60 posts, read 140,306 times
Ahh very cool! Sent you a PM.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:09 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
I agree with you also JuniperBlue. I was just stating that was how it was seen by my family and how I lost the dream early. If you can do it as you said that would be a great way!! Take advantage of all the opportunites out there while your young!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel