U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 04:50 PM

13,615 posts, read 22,159,742 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't take a 15 minute bus ride. Many years ago when I was in the Army the Greyhound was my mode of transportation. Got sick everytime. Just thinking about a bus trip makes me nauseous..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 04:52 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,651,412 times
I have used them in Washington DC for short trips and in fact only until we got in close enough to the underground station.

From my experience the buses and coaches in the UK are alot clearner, I took one from Oxfordshire down to London rather then drive a car and have to find parking, it was very nice and timely.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:49 PM

2,799 posts, read 8,065,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I did take a bus ride of that length or perhaps longer from Cusco (Peru) to La Paz (Bolivia).

All I can say is it was a stunning adventure and one I'll never forget and probably not replicate.
Hey, ontheroad, I've been on that exact same route in the altiplano in South America a couple of times. Took a bus along that road in January 1972, passing through Juliaca and Puno, Peru. Spent the night nearly freezing to death in Puno. Drank some coca tea to warm up and knock down the high altitude headaches and nausea. Next day took the 100 yr old steamship across the lake to Bolivia, then down to La Paz by bus. Going almost anywhere in that part of the world becomes a little adventure, even a simple bus ride.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:58 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,692,244 times
Watching city busses in Seoul drive away from the stop with riders still trying to pack inside was exciting!

Old 05-17-2007, 09:15 PM

65 posts, read 324,269 times
Yes, roundtrip from Miami to New Orleans - ugh! The waits, stops, rude bus drivers, scary passengers, transfers in the middle of the night,... plus I cant sleep on a bus!

The train was a bit more decent - although the most time Ive been on one was 8 hours.

Speaking of which, anyone know of any bus or train service that travels from Florida to California? Amtrak doesnt have a direct route anymore.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:52 AM

548 posts, read 2,462,753 times
FL to CA? I've got to think it would cheaper to fly..(not to mention a heck of a lot more convenient)

Old 05-18-2007, 07:08 PM

10,189 posts, read 25,243,634 times
Nice to hear someone else took this or a similar trip--yup, a true adventure. I actually started writing a short story about it, "Direct to La Paz" which is what the bus agent called it--but as you know, we had to cross that lake on a wooden boat, and no paddle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Hey, ontheroad, I've been on that exact same route in the altiplano in South America a couple of times. Took a bus along that road in January 1972, passing through Juliaca and Puno, Peru. Spent the night nearly freezing to death in Puno. Drank some coca tea to warm up and knock down the high altitude headaches and nausea. Next day took the 100 yr old steamship across the lake to Bolivia, then down to La Paz by bus. Going almost anywhere in that part of the world becomes a little adventure, even a simple bus ride.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:57 AM

79 posts, read 194,175 times
No way! To have to listen to cell phone calls makes it not an option. I fly, drive or take a train with "quiet" cars. I can see doing it overseas where it will add to the adventure, but even then I would prefer the other modes of transit.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:50 PM

207 posts, read 943,743 times
in 2005 I took a Greyhound from Vegas to NY, I would not recommend it,, when you are sitting next to someone on the Greyhound the trips are horrible, especially when the person is overweight or is an *******,, I would take a Greyhound for about a 4-5 hour trip but that is the most

Old 05-20-2007, 09:46 PM

6,601 posts, read 16,649,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Watching city busses in Seoul drive away from the stop with riders still trying to pack inside was exciting!
You should check out the people hanging onto the outside of the buses in Colombo, Sri Lanka! My tradition of taking public transport in every major city I visit ended there.

This pic is from a magazine in Bangalore, but it tells the story

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or