Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 03:26 PM

995 posts, read 2,727,009 times

Advertisements

Bring back an old thread. About to take a round trip from Philly to Albuquerque. We leave Thursday afternoon and arrive Saturday afternoon. Could have flown, but my last experience flying back from ABQ left my stomach in knots. Plus, I want to see parts of this great country of ours. I have no doubt this trip will be long and tiring, but I'm also looking at it as a once in a lifetime experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 03:45 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
Bring back an old thread. About to take a round trip from Philly to Albuquerque. We leave Thursday afternoon and arrive Saturday afternoon. Could have flown, but my last experience flying back from ABQ left my stomach in knots. Plus, I want to see parts of this great country of ours. I have no doubt this trip will be long and tiring, but I'm also looking at it as a once in a lifetime experience.
Good for you.
Sounds like a great trip. We LOVED our train ride across Canada.
Be sure & let us know how it went.

Ken

Old 11-16-2010, 04:24 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
The going rate for long distance limo service is about $2.50 per mile. Four people, that's about $300 each per 1,000 miles. If you can find a few more people who want to go, you can charter a turbo-prop that will get 50 people there in 6 hours, for $25K, which is cheaper than sleepers on the train.
http://www.avchart.com

Keep that in mind if you ever plan to have a big wedding in Vegas.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-16-2010 at 04:45 PM..

Old 11-17-2010, 08:43 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Advantages include ability to get up and move around; great if you don't like sitting for long periods. Scenery may be better. You can use your wireless device, not possible while driving or flying and a big reason Amtrak's ridership hit a record. Disadvantages: It may be slower, less frequency of service, connections a hassle. I enjoy it especially for destinations within 300 miles not served by air.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:47 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The going rate for long distance limo service is about $2.50 per mile. Four people, that's about $300 each per 1,000 miles. If you can find a few more people who want to go, you can charter a turbo-prop that will get 50 people there in 6 hours, for $25K, which is cheaper than sleepers on the train.
Air Charter for Business - Freight - and Individuals since 1992

Keep that in mind if you ever plan to have a big wedding in Vegas.
May be an OK idea for some posters, but the person who recently restarted this thread specifical remarked that his last flight left his stomach quesy - and a smaller plane such as you are referring to is even MORE likely to do that than a large commercial jetliner will.

Still, for others your suggestion may have merit.

Ken

Old 11-17-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
May be an OK idea for some posters, but the person who recently restarted this thread specifical remarked that his last flight left his stomach quesy - and a smaller plane such as you are referring to is even MORE likely to do that than a large commercial jetliner will.

Still, for others your suggestion may have merit.

Ken
That's why I dislike the C-D policy of requiring users to search for old threads, instead of starting new ones.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:45 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
I like trains a lot, hell I think that one from DC to NYC actually saves time over flying when you factor in that you can arrive at the train station 10 minutes ahead of time instead of an hour, plus you're getting off at Penn Station instead of way out at JFK.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I like trains a lot, hell I think that one from DC to NYC actually saves time over flying when you factor in that you can arrive at the train station 10 minutes ahead of time instead of an hour, plus you're getting off at Penn Station instead of way out at JFK.
That's fine for NY/DC corridor. But most other cities in the US have only one departure every 24 hours going in any direction on the train, which might be 2 am. It would take two days to get from Dallas to New Orleans on the train. Same for Atlanta-Jacksonville, or Cincinnati-Cleveland. Denver to Albuquerque would take nearly a week. Neither Nashville nor Louisville have train stations at all, so you could walk from one to the other before a train arrives.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:01 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
I know this. Unless high speed rail comes the DC-Philly-NYC-Boston corridor is about the only one that can beat a train.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:09 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Just returned from a trip by train between Jacksonville FL and Beverly MA (north of Boston). The only "negative" was the lesser availability of trains than one finds with airplanes. BUT a minor negative - just meant traveling on the trains' schedules - and no big deal. I had to switch trains in NYC and in Boston, but there was very little layover time between so I didn't get bored whatsoever. And every single train was either on time or even early (except for one train which encountered an unusual incident beyond the responsibility of the train .. however, unlike some airplane incidents, our electricity and bathrooms were fully operational, we could walk around, and drinks were made available even though the cafe car had closed.)

Door-to-door it was 24 hours and I enjoyed every minute of it. The only thing different I'll do the next time is get a roomette ... a "normal" seatmate can be a crap shoot sometimes - on one of my trains I did have an oddball. But I countered that by spending time in the lounge car chatting with some great people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel