Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 09:47 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,335,548 times

Advertisements

Hello, I need to learn Spanish. I took 6 years in junior and high school many years ago, but only recall simple phrases.

I have checked online to read up about Rosetta Stone, Berlitz and one other package.

Has anyone else had to learn Spanish as a second language and have any recommendations? I would like to immerse and do this quickly vs atteninding a class at a university and plodding along. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 04:00 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,171 times
My fiends have done good with Rosetta Stone that are moving to Mexico. Good luck

Old 11-28-2009, 10:22 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
Hello, I need to learn Spanish. I took 6 years in junior and high school many years ago, but only recall simple phrases.

I have checked online to read up about Rosetta Stone, Berlitz and one other package.

Has anyone else had to learn Spanish as a second language and have any recommendations? I would like to immerse and do this quickly vs atteninding a class at a university and plodding along. Thanks in advance.

1) There are any number of immersion programs in Mexico where you live with a family that speaks Spanish only. Usually within 5-6 weeks, you know the language.

2) Both Berlitz and the Cervantes Institute offer intensive language classes. It is quick but is not inexpensive.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I am looking into this too. Immersion is the best way, but be sure you get an area with little local dialect, slang, or accent. I lived and worked in Spain, but our area spoke Catalan, and would NOT speak Spanish (They hate the Spaniards) thus I learned very little Spanish.

Have been recommended to PR . I notice Guatemala has some very affordable options (but security is not as good). ~$100 - $300 /week for classes, tutoring, food and lodging.

Let me know what you find out.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:23 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Spend time in Mexico it's their language!!

Old 01-04-2010, 03:30 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
You can't beat Guatemala for the prices, Antigua being my first choice. There are many schools there, and you are in a buyers market, so you can change schools or homestays if your are not satisfied. Around $200 a week, and that includes 20-25 hours a week of class, 3 meals a day, and a room.

Guatemala365 - A Survey of Spanish Schools - Learn Spanish in Guatemala

Old 01-04-2010, 04:37 PM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Try inlingua International language centers for their Spanish immersion programs.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,102 times
Try speaking with spanish people like me xD you need learn spanish and i need learn english so i just want contact me and could we talk :P

Old 03-24-2010, 03:39 AM

8 posts, read 21,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I am looking into this too. Immersion is the best way, but be sure you get an area with little local dialect, slang, or accent. I lived and worked in Spain, but our area spoke Catalan, and would NOT speak Spanish (They hate the Spaniards) thus I learned very little Spanish..
Bull****!, I live in Cataluña, Barcelona, and we dont hate spaniards (WE ARE SPANIARDS), we actually speak spanish, most of us use it more than catalan in daylife, and all of us can speak both laguages.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:03 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
One of the best books I've seen for that is Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish by Margarita Madrigal--I think I ordered it from a homeschool catalog. I also got a book of Spanish idioms, a dictionary, and some books to translate, b/c I read that just jumping in and translating is the best way to learn a language. I"m not sure if I have authority to speak on this though, b/c I tend to be lazy and lose focus, so I still don't know SPanish all that well. The great explorer Richard Burton used to use that method though for about a week, and then he would hire a native speaker to hang around with him and work with him and correct his accent and he learned many languages that way. Do you work with any Spanish speakers? Maybe you could have lunch with them and make new friends that way and/or have a reciprocal arrangement as Venezolano has suggested.

Well I guess I'd better get on it myself as I'm going to S. America this summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel