Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 06:44 AM

350 posts, read 4,157,820 times

Advertisements

I was recently on an airplane over the Thanksgiving holiday, and before takeoff, the cabin filled with a thick, dense smell of exhaust I believe. Normally, there is a bit of a smell of that before takeoff, but this time it was very thick and intense, so that all you could smell was the exhaust, and not any normal air. It lasted about 2-3 minutes. Everyone was noticing and talking about it. After the 2-3 min. the regular air kicked on I guess, and the smell dissipated. But I felt horrible the entire flight, and my lungs and sinuses felt like they were burning and my lungs felt tight. After this experience, I am hesitant to fly anymore. I worry about the carcinogens that I breathed in during this time. Even days after, my lungs and chest feel tight and my sinuses are still burning. I think next time I'll drive instead of fly if I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 07:44 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
Ahhhh, the smell of aviation fuel in the morning. Wait until you are on a plane that is being de-iced and you can experience those lovely smells fill the cabin.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:54 AM

135 posts, read 566,489 times
I think you may be over-reacting a bit. Generally these type of things take many years of exposure. Your one time dose shouldn't have chronic effects. Could any of these symptoms be mind generated?

Old 12-01-2009, 08:10 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric99gt View Post
I think you may be over-reacting a bit. Generally these type of things take many years of exposure. Your one time dose shouldn't have chronic effects. Could any of these symptoms be mind generated?

I think you are right about the over reacting. I've been breathing those fumes for well over 20 years, and haven't had any bad effects yet. Well, I did grow that third eye in my forehead, but it's not that bad.

OP
There are two possible sources here. Exhaust from the airplane sitting in front of you getting sucked into your airconditioning system. It's also possible that your plane had a bad heat exchanger valve in the airconditioning system. There are filters, and plumbing to prevent that, but sometimes it happens.

Since it cleared up after takeoff, I'm leaning towards the plane in front of you.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
I think you are right about the over reacting. I've been breathing those fumes for well over 20 years, and haven't had any bad effects yet.
Are you a flight attendant or pilot?

Old 12-01-2009, 08:54 AM

I'm a mechanic. I fix these systems. I also stand in the exhaust plumes as I work.

This is a pretty good explanation of the pressurization system. Environmental Control System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have changed plenty of filters, and coalescer bags.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
I'm a mechanic. I fix these systems. I also stand in the exhaust plumes as I work.

This is a pretty good explanation of the pressurization system. Environmental Control System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have changed plenty of filters, and coalescer bags.
Wow. Aren't you concerned about all the carcinogens you're inhaling as you fix these systems? I'm having some uncomfortable effects after inhaling this stuff for a couple minutes--I can't imagine what kind of cumulative effects it has had on you.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:15 AM

You gotta die from something. Might as well make it interesting.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:16 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,070 times
Ahh I love the smell of Jet Fuel!

Old 12-02-2009, 12:33 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
... I think next time I'll drive instead of fly if I can.
Just be sure you don't get behind any diesel burners -- most large trucks, many pickups and some cars. Also, don't stop for fuel where there might be trucks running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel