Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 08:19 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,063,834 times

Advertisements

So we (couple in their late 20's) want to go to NYC and spend maybe 3 days exploring the city. I know it's nowhere near enough time, but does anyone have suggestions for what to do on a short tour?

We'll probably go over the weekend before Xmas, so we'll be there Sat, Sun, and maybe Mon or Fri. We'll be taking a commuter train in from a friend's place about 45 minutes north of the city unless anyone can suggest good cheap lodgings.

We think we want to go see the Statue of Liberty, but we can skip Ground Zero, Times Square, and The Empire State Building (been there already). Already visited Hoboken too.

We'd like to possibly visit a Long Island beach town that's within commuter range of the city. We probably have time for one museum, gallery, or other similiar civic point.

Any suggestions for good nightclubs/areas where we can party or chillout until the early trains start running?

It would be fun to catch a Broadway (or off-Broadway) show. Maybe not experimental theater, though. Suggestions?

What else should we do? Any deals on subway/metro passes for a short-duration visitors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 01:05 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
We'll probably go over the weekend before Xmas, so we'll be there Sat, Sun, and maybe Mon or Fri. We'll be taking a commuter train in from a friend's place about 45 minutes north of the city unless anyone can suggest good cheap lodgings.

We think we want to go see the Statue of Liberty, but we can skip Ground Zero, Times Square, and The Empire State Building (been there already). Already visited Hoboken too.

We'd like to possibly visit a Long Island beach town that's within commuter range of the city. We probably have time for one museum, gallery, or other similiar civic point.

Any suggestions for good nightclubs/areas where we can party or chillout until the early trains start running?

What else should we do? Any deals on subway/metro passes for a short-duration visitors?
Cheap lodging would be the Vanderbilt Y: YMCA of Greater New York: Manhattan NYC Hostels near Grand Central | Vanderbilt Guest Rooms .

Instead of going to the Statue of Liberty, I would suggest taking the free ferry from Manhattan to Staten Island, which will give you wonderful photo opportunities. If you still decide to go to the Statue of Liberty, then I would recommend visiting the Ellis Island Museum (which the Statue of Liberty ferry stops at and is no extra cost).

If you want to go to a Long Island beach town, I would recommend Port Jefferson.

If you want to go to jazz club, I would recommend the Blue Note (located in the Village area).

As for public transportation, you can unlimited metrocards for one day or one week which are good on all MTA city buses (except express buses) & subway trains. The one day card is $8.25 & the 7 day card is $27: MTA - Where to Buy MetroCard .
Subway service runs 24/7.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the tips!

Old 12-04-2009, 09:08 PM

98 posts, read 478,581 times
Definitely hit the Village. The Blue Note is a great spot, and there are plenty of other clubs/bars to hang out and have a good time. I'm partial to Kenny's Castaway.

If the weather permits, a walk through Central Park in the afternoon is always pleasant, and there are plenty of museums to choose from right there.

If you've never done so, catch a show on Broadway. The only one I've seen recently was Memphis, and I would not recommend it, so there's someplace to start.

Have a great time!

-Paul

Old 12-05-2009, 05:07 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,903 times
Make sure you go to SoHo, Little Italy, and Chinatown. Also, you can possibly squeeze in the Financial District.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:38 PM

Great, I'll be sure to follow those suggestions! Thanks.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:44 PM

98 posts, read 478,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
Make sure you go to SoHo, Little Italy, and Chinatown. Also, you can possibly squeeze in the Financial District.
I'll second all of these with the exception of the financial district: especially if you're there on a weekend, there's really nothing to see (I work down there a lot). After 9/11, the public has little or no access to the NYSE, Federal Reserve, etc...it's cool to at least see the buildings though, I guess. If you do go down there, make a stop at Trinity Church on Broadway and take a stroll through the graveyard.

-Paul

Old 12-06-2009, 05:10 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateclosingon40 View Post
I'll second all of these with the exception of the financial district: especially if you're there on a weekend, there's really nothing to see (I work down there a lot). After 9/11, the public has little or no access to the NYSE, Federal Reserve, etc...it's cool to at least see the buildings though, I guess. If you do go down there, make a stop at Trinity Church on Broadway and take a stroll through the graveyard.

-Paul
I agree that Trinity Church with its graveyard are the thing to see in the Financial District on a weekend.
If you are already in that area, you may want to walk over the South Street Seaport and the cobblestoned Fulton Street. On the upper level of the South St. Seaport is a food court from which you can get a good view of Brooklyn.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:28 AM

294 posts, read 879,193 times
If you want to go to a LI beach, hop on the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) at Penn Station and go to Long Beach. You may have to switch trains at Jamaica, but it is simple and they'll tell you where to go, usually directly across the platform.
Long Beach has a boardwalk, some good restaurants and pubs.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:40 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
We were in Manhattan in May - first timet there in many years. The weather was milder than it will be for you but one highlight of it for me was seeing "Phantom of the Opera" at the Majestic Theater. We stood in line at the TKTS booth in Times Sq. for only about 20 minutes on Saturday morning and got half price tickets for the Sat. Matinee. I think they let you into the theater about 1:30. We got 7th row orchestra seats and it was a "fantastic" show. Everyone should see it at least once. Also a tip - you can get around Manhattan very nicely on the City Bus which is the same price as the subway but you get to see more. We took the bus one day down to South Street Seaport, I think it traveled down 3rd Avenue. It was Mother's Day so the Seaport was lively with entertainment and outdoor dining. Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel