U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 12:52 AM

2,493 posts, read 3,440,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
In 1997, Me and my mom were moving back to Los Angeles, California from Phoenix, Arizona in the summertime with no A/C in the car. Both me and my mom nearly collapsed of dehydration because we were all out of water and our ice chest's ice was all melted. So we wet some towels with the ice water and put the towels around our necks, but we nearly got shock from that. We were not really prepared at all. I'll never go anywhere cross country without A/C in the car or packs of water.
No A/C in Arizona? Oh, my god....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 03:16 AM

34 posts, read 117,886 times
I was in Amman, Jordan this summer. On my first day in the country, I went sight seeing alone. The Abdullah mosque--a grand structure that could be described as the national mosque--was blocks away from my hotel, so it was my first stop.

The mosque was apparently deserted except for a friendly guard at one of the gates. He greeted me in the ordinary manner which men in the Arab world welcome each other: a kiss on each cheek. He was pleased to see a Californian--an exceptionally rare sight. He took my hand and tugged to lead me--we are now all trained to understand offending someone of a different culture is horrendous and must be avoided, hence, the American mindset that makes a movie like Boart feasible--and I followed. He led me down to the basement level, below the national mosque, and into a wardrobe room. We both barely cleared the doorframe before he lunged for me by trying to wrap his arms around me. I get the hell out of there. He non-chalantly leaves the room and calls out, "my office, my office", while pointing to the W.C.

Yeah. I was left stunned for the rest of the day. Christ, it was the national mosque!

Old 10-16-2007, 01:14 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,518,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by american_life View Post
I was in Amman, Jordan this summer. On my first day in the country, I went sight seeing alone. The Abdullah mosque--a grand structure that could be described as the national mosque--was blocks away from my hotel, so it was my first stop.

The mosque was apparently deserted except for a friendly guard at one of the gates. He greeted me in the ordinary manner which men in the Arab world welcome each other: a kiss on each cheek. He was pleased to see a Californian--an exceptionally rare sight. He took my hand and tugged to lead me--we are now all trained to understand offending someone of a different culture is horrendous and must be avoided, hence, the American mindset that makes a movie like Boart feasible--and I followed. He led me down to the basement level, below the national mosque, and into a wardrobe room. We both barely cleared the doorframe before he lunged for me by trying to wrap his arms around me. I get the hell out of there. He non-chalantly leaves the room and calls out, "my office, my office", while pointing to the W.C.

Yeah. I was left stunned for the rest of the day. Christ, it was the national mosque!
I was in Israel and Jordan back in May, and I heard almost this exact same story from a fellow backpacker traveling in Jordan! It wasn't to my knowledge at the Abdullah mosque but it was someplace similar where the security guard made a pass at him. I was told by another that he was propositioned in Jerusalem by one of those guys on the street that try to get you to come into their guest houses. Who knew that American backpackers were such prey for closeted Middle Eastern men?

Old 10-16-2007, 01:27 PM

3,617 posts, read 9,496,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
How about the time that we were going through the mountains and the accelerator on the car started sticking. Every time my husband needed to put on the brakes he had to take his foot off the gas, put his foot under the gas pedal and pull up the gas pedal and then put on the brakes. It was a new car and the Ford dealorship in Kentucky took us right in, put us first and fixed the problem, then we were on the road again headed for Denver, Colorado. I feel so bad that I can't even remember which town we were in, but I really have a positive opinion of Kentucky. That was Southern Hospitality at it best.
I can empathize with you on that. My family took a driving vacation in 1976 that included a drive up Pike's Peak in Colorado. About 3/4 of the way up the car developed a stutter and stumble and a severe lack of horsepower. We took it to a dealer to be inspected since it too was a new car. We learned that Ford was making these vehicles with altitude specific carburetors. In order to complete our drive up the peak in that car we would need to stop a little over the halfway point and swap carburetors. Needless to say, we did not complete the drive up.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:55 PM

3,617 posts, read 9,496,387 times
I have no truly horrific stories involving threats to my life or hospital visits, but I do have three airport related events that were less than normal.

1) First business trip on a new job. So new I did not have a company credit card yet, and no personal credit cards. My boss was able to line up a car rental that would take her card and not require me to present it. So far so good. My flight was delayed arriving in Lubbock Texas. When I landed at 6:15pm, the airport was closed for the evening and all the rental agencies were closed, including the one I was to use. I called the hotel and they did not have a shuttle bus. I called the car agencies number and got their office closed message. After pondering my situation for a while I decided to start calling everyone in the phone book with the same last name as the rental agency hoping to find someone who knows the owner. Small town, can't be too hard, right? Amazingly I got the owner on the first call. She called an employee and had a car delivered to the airport for me. How great is that? I had only spent 3 hours wandering around a closed airport before I came up with that solution. Doh!

When my work was done prior to noon on the last day of the trip, I called and got my flight switched to an earlier one. I had just enough time to drive to the airport, but not enough to drop the car off at the rental agency. The owner told me it was no problem, just put the key under the floor mat and they would get it later. Still sounds like a good trip overall right? Well, my flight was delayed, then cancelled. My original flight was oversold and I could not get a flight on it. My boss was out of town and could not be reached to approve another rental charge so I got to sleep in the airport until the next day.

2) Vacation to Alaska. Given a free trip by my company (different company) anywhere in the US. Wife and I decided Alaska. We could not take our two children, so we drove 150 miles to a small town south of San Antonio to drop them off with my parents. We then drove back north to Austin to catch our flight to Anchorage.

The itinerary only listed Austin to Salt Lake City to Anchorage. It made no mention of the stop it made first to pick up passengers in SAN ANTONIO. We could have saved a little over two hours of driving had we known it made a stop there! To make matters worse, the co-pilots backup altimeter was not working so we had to sit on the floor in the gangway for 5 hours while they brought in altimeters from Dallas, Atlanta and finally Denver before they got the plane working. Our trip started at 3am in Austin (central time) and ended at 1am in Alaska (Alaska time) Very long day with only peanuts on the planes.

3) Business trip return from San Francisco. Snafu at car return made me late checking in for my flight. The Delta ticket agent changed me to a Northwest flight that I could still check my bags onto and rushed me through security (pre 911) and drove me straight to the gate. The plane at the gate was starting to close the door and he ran me through the gate station and onto the plane with the door closing behind me. We took off and landed for my plane change. I went to the gate on my ticket and found it deserted. Since I had a three hour layover this did not worry me. An hour or so before we should board the gate was still deserted. Not even another passenger. I went looking for someone to find out if my gate had been changed and I had not heard.

The gate agent I found was very confused and kept asking me how I had gotten there. I explained that there was nobody at my gate so I walked over to his. He repeated his query, "How did you get here?". I was getting irritated by this point and told him, quite impolitely I must admit, "I got on one of your planes in San Francisco and it took off and landed where I walked off the plane and down the hallway to an empty gate, then I stood up and walked over to you. What part do you not understand?"

Turns out, I was supposed to change planes in Salt Lake City and I was standing in the Las Vegas airport! It turns out that the flight I was changed to was also late and the plane they put me on was still at the gate and my flight was waiting for them to get out of the way.

Alas, there were no more flights from Vegas to Austin, so they put me on a Southwest flight home, so I was able to get home that night. If anyone sees two Blue suitcases that have been on a luggage carosel for the last 9 years, let me know. They might be mine.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:21 PM

618 posts, read 1,507,684 times
About two years ago, I decided to take my two daughters to Florida during the summer. We only made it to Georgia when nightfall hit, so we decided to stay at a hotel. The room looked okay, so we decided to stay for the night. Well, when we woke up there was flying ants EVERYWHERE IN THE ROOM! We literally woke up, started screaming, grabbed our stuff and left. That day, we finally made it to Florida and decided to go swimming in the ocean. My youngest daughter wanted to go swimming because she has never seen the ocean. Well, I am terrified of big bodies of water, so I couldn't swim and my oldest daughter was car sick from the drive, so my youngest wasn't able to swim at all. We were all really exhausted so we decided to just go find a hotel. It took forever to find a hotel, so when we were inspecting the room, we noticed huge amounts of mold on the walls and carpet! We were sooo tired and soo sick of the unkept rooms that we just decided to go to walmart and shop til we drop. Oh and when we were leaving the hotel, the RASCAL FLATS tour bus was there! Anyways, when we got to the Wal Mart, we noticed that everything in the store was used! The shoes were already worn, the clothes had been returned with junk all over them. After this letdown, I decided to try and make it up to my daughter and take her a hot spring park. Well, when we got there it started downpouring/thundering/lightning like crazy! I am also terrified of storms so we headed back into town where the weather was better. We were starving, so after about 30 minutes of trying to find a restaurant, we just decided on McDonalds for a quick meal. So we ordered our food and while I was paying, I only a new fifty dollar bill on me, so I tried to pay with it. Well, when the punk that was running the cash register tried to look through my dollar to see if it was real, he walked outside without saying anything. I followed him, and found him talking with the manager. When we both got inside, we informed me by announcing really loud that my fifty dollar bill was not real, because he couldn't see the face in the bill! I was sooo upset because I knew that the bill was real because I had just gotten it from the bank. So, we dropped what we were doing and left the restaurant completely embarrased. By this time, we were all really upset and my youngest daughter was crying and after only staying in florida for 2 days, we decided to drive home, which I did without sleeping for almost another 2 days! Talk about a series of unfortunate events!

Oh and after we had gotten home, we were watching the news about a week later when we heard that the location we were at in Florida had just gotten hit by a hurricane!

Old 10-17-2007, 02:54 PM

28,673 posts, read 41,231,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
Staying in a transient hotel on the west side of Milwaukee during Summerfest. It looked nice on the internet...it was so gross! We drank at Summerfest and were forced to stay there for 1 night. We laid on the bed fully clothed and only used the toilet and sink. We didn't take showers the next morning because the bathroom was so gross. We hit the road and drove the 100 miles home. There were crack addicts hanging out in front of the place and some crazy eyed woman startng swearing at us when we walked up to the entrance. I've stayed in some kinda crappy places before, but nothing like this one.
Milwaukee. Well, yeah... Been there done that. Milwaukee.

Story:

Des Moines to Chicago, evening flight. Stormy weather. Flight was pretty rough most of the way, but when we got to Chicago things got a bit rougher. We were placed in a holding pattern and there were tornadoes all over. The plane would drop so fast that we were pulled up into our seat belts! I am tall enough that if I sat up straight my head hit the overhead. After the drop we were then pushed down into the seats just as hard.

So, what does the pilot do? He starts telling us how many feet we are falling and rising. Like I want to know the plane I'm strapped into is falling 5 thousand feet in 3 seconds. NOT!!

To add insult to injury the fight home was not only as rough as the trip over, but at the end of it we are landing from the Southeast. If any of you know the DSM airport you know that the runway starts right after a major intersection so the landing can be interesting... We are coming in, I can see the street lights, but I know, I just know, we are too high. This Nimrod is going to roll off the end of the runway!

Just past the intersection the plane does a nose dive. I have never heard that many people scream that loud in my life, before or since. The plane levels out and we barely, barely feel the landing. What the heck was that?

I asked a stewardess about the landing. She said, "Oh, the pilot is ex Navy and used to land on aircraft carriers. He does that all the time."

Well thank you for not letting us in on that secret.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:36 PM

2,355 posts, read 2,019,714 times
I have a horrid travel story:

I was in Europe last summer with a friend of mine. We were in the middle of our Rome adventure when an emergency came up and I had to go home to San Francisco. So I run to catch a train from Rome to Austria (where we first landed). I am on the train until midnight and did not have hotel reservations so I end up sleeping at this hostel. I could barely sleep because I was nervous about getting home. I wake up at 5:00 a.m. to get to the airport and have troubles getting on the flight (too much paperwork issues). So I get on the flight to London and it's a late start. Late starts aren't good. I land in London and it takes FOREVER and a day to get through security at Heathrow. As soon as I get through security I had to take a shuttle to my plane, which is fine but takes awhile. By the time I get to my terminal I check to see where the departure area is and start running to that, with my backpack flying everywhere and I am exhausted from lack of sleep. I get to the departure area and it's the wrong one! The person who had typed on the flight screen typed in the wrong number so I had to run to the other side of the terminal (a huge area by the way) and there are flight attendants who were calling my name because everyone had boarded and they were just waiting for me and two other passengers. I am out of breath by the time I reach them and LUCKILY get on the flight. The longest 10 hours of my life...

Old 10-17-2007, 04:45 PM

15,370 posts, read 35,377,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I can empathize with you on that. My family took a driving vacation in 1976 that included a drive up Pike's Peak in Colorado. About 3/4 of the way up the car developed a stutter and stumble and a severe lack of horsepower. We took it to a dealer to be inspected since it too was a new car. We learned that Ford was making these vehicles with altitude specific carburetors. In order to complete our drive up the peak in that car we would need to stop a little over the halfway point and swap carburetors. Needless to say, we did not complete the drive up.
Yep Ford is famous for that......if you bought your car in Denver then took it to TX....it would run like a scalded dog.....had an 87 F150 that came from a Dealer in Salt Lake to Las Vegas...got FANTASTIC gas mileage and pulled the passes in Colorado like they werent there....

Old 10-19-2007, 03:09 AM

18,584 posts, read 22,404,823 times
Default Robbed by senior citizens

I was in Quito Ecuador a couple years ago, read about these food-throwing scams on the internet and was alert to them on my trip, but didn't think it would happen to me. But there wasn't enough info on these scams so I naturally assumed that the perpetrators would be young kids and it would happen to me most likely at night. Wrong, on both counts. Happened to me on a busy street downtown during rush hour with lots of people around. Unknown to me someone had thrown some chocolatey type yogurt mixture at my backside and didn't even notice it until these two well-dressed senior citizens came up to me and said: Oh! You poor thing! Look! I looked at my backside to see this chocolate goo running down my pantslegs, and they are there so eager to help. Out comes the napkins to help me help clean me up. Well, after they left, I wasn't about to walk around with my pants all messed up so I ran back to the hotel, and in changing my pants, NO WALLET!!! I had my credit cards canceled within the half hour but fortunately, I had only $10 in my wallet. Imagine! Grey-haired senior citizens! Even when I got back from my trip I remained wary of approaching senior citizens. If the Seniors in our country turn to crime like that some day (perhaps social security running out) then there's no hope left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or