Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 12:30 PM

90 posts, read 385,188 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what their experience is staying at hotels with a pet. We will be traveling from California to Missouri and will need lodging at least 1 or 2 nights and we were wondering if we need to take the dogs crate. Its very large and we would like to not have to if necessary as trunk space is at a premium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 12:58 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
If you are a member of AAA you can get the tour books that have all the hotels in them. They list if the hotel/motel is pet friendly. I have three parrots and hen I drove from CA to TX we had to stay in motels with the birds. I think they only rquired a $10.00 deposit for the birds.

We are moving back to CA next week and again I have my tour books out so we can find laces to stay that will allow me to have my birds.

BTW, the birds traveled really well. They were so quiet and good! I just love them!!! It's like they knew they needed to behave themselves.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:47 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,657 times
This is a good site for finding pet friendly hotels:

http://www.petswelcome.com/

Old 05-19-2007, 03:15 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,105,626 times
We've traveled with our dogs cross-country a few times and never taken their crates. I would take the crates if: 1) they are used to sleeping in them or 2) you plan to leave them in the room alone during the day and housekeeping comes in. There are several online websites with pet-friendly hotels (some charge a fee while others don't). The AAA book is also very helpful. Happy travels!

Old 05-19-2007, 04:05 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I always take a blanket to put on top of the bed so I don't get any dog hair on anything. It also smells like home. I have a collapsible soft crate that doesn't take up a lot of space and is lightweight.

Old 05-19-2007, 04:29 PM

Thank you all so much. That web site is terrific. We are AAA members so we will check that out also. Sometimes you forget all the great services AAA offers.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:07 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
We have stayed at Microtel hotels with our dog and it has been great. They welcome pets and give pet owners first floor rooms near the doors. I don't know if they have them everywhere but there are some in the upper midwest.

I also agree with the soft carrier. Our dog travels in the car in her portable kennel so we always have that with us but she is only 10 pounds. They also have a rack that you can put on the back of your car that hooks into a trailer hitch where you can keep luggage. I have seen many on the roads carrying dog kennels (no dogs in them though).

Old 05-20-2007, 08:07 AM

I really like the soft crate idea but it looks like they are only made for smaller pets. I checked out pet smart's website but it don't look like they have anything big enough for a 45 pound pooch. Does anyone know if any are made for a dog this size?

Old 05-20-2007, 10:41 AM

791 posts, read 1,820,019 times
Lightbulb State Requirements For Pets Entering The State..

Here is a link for the MO Dept. Of Agriculture, as well as a list by state.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/sregs/mo.html

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/sregs/-Directory by State

This type of information is good for people permanently relocating. For Missouri, it looks like you just need to get certification from a Veterinarian showing your pet is up to date on their Vaccinations and are not carrying any contagiuos diseases. They also have info. regarding Farm & Exotic animals.

Quite honestly, I wouldn't have thought of needing to carry this info. with us when moving. Boy, what a pain that would be to be unprepared.

I would think it would also be handy to have this information to show proof of your pet's health to any Hotel/Motel you may be staying at, should they ask.

Just an FYI for anyone interested.

Boof

Old 05-20-2007, 12:14 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
I really like the soft crate idea but it looks like they are only made for smaller pets. I checked out pet smart's website but it don't look like they have anything big enough for a 45 pound pooch. Does anyone know if any are made for a dog this size?
My Spot weighs about 70lbs. His soft crate is by Pet Lodge and weighs about 7lbs. It has a handle for carrying and is quite sturdy. It also has a soft pad in the bottom that I supplement with his regular bed. It's well ventilated and has an attachment for a small water bucket too. The crate is large enough for Spot to stand up and turn around. It is sturdy enough that I can sit on top of it.

If you want to try one out before you buy, look for a local dog show in your area. They will have vendors selling these and lots of other fun pet stuff as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel