Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 11:55 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You really like driving 12 - 15 hours a day? Even in the winter when 1/2 of the trip is after dark? I'm thinking that YOU like it because you are snoozing out for most of the time, while your poor wife is slogging along listening to you snore. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Actually, it is her preference.

The key is to starting before dawn and never drivving in the dark at the end of a long day.

On Monday night we were at Black River Falls Wisconsin with 900 miles on as it was getting dark ( 4:30)

The wife said she felt so good she would have kept going the other 230 miles home if it was summer and still daylight.

She missed her " calling" in life as she should have been a driver.

Last edited by marmac; 12-25-2009 at 12:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 12:06 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You really like driving 12 - 15 hours a day? Even in the winter when 1/2 of the trip is after dark? I'm thinking that YOU like it because you are snoozing out for most of the time, while your poor wife is slogging along listening to you snore. LOL

20yrsinBranson
I get through a lot of "books on tape" by driving at least 12 hrs. a day when traveling long distances! A "short"" 500 mile jaunt won't even allow me the time to finish a book started at the onset of the drive.

I suspect the midwest blizzard of yesterday and today made the OP a non-issue.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:12 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Quote:
What is the longest you will drive (without stopping for the night)?
I don't know if I'll be able to do it again these days, but I remember driving for almost 24 hours, from San Antonio, Texas to Phoenix. This was in 1984, I left San Antonio at around 4:00 PM, and got into Phoenix around 3:00 PM the next day, and I remember wearing light clothes because it was warm driving out there, but driving back to Phoenix at night, there was a lot of rain and it got very cold. Also from San Antonio to El Paso, Interstate 10 has a long stretch of nothing, except 3 or 4 little towns, and I did stop at a couple of coffee shops to get coffee and a snack, and I remember stopping for about an hour and taking a nap in my car.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:45 AM

195 posts, read 293,512 times
We cancelled the Holiday Trip and were so glad we did. I woke up that morning feeling sick and did not sleep at all the night before and do not think I could have stayed awake for that long trip. To me limiting crosss county trips to about 200 miles a day is good with lots of stops for hiking, food breaks and tours of local towns on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I get through a lot of "books on tape" by driving at least 12 hrs. a day when traveling long distances! A "short"" 500 mile jaunt won't even allow me the time to finish a book started at the onset of the drive.

I suspect the midwest blizzard of yesterday and today made the OP a non-issue.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:33 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
I was supposed to fly MKE-BWI tonight. However, two weeks ago, my wife and I decided that we were tired of traveling this year and would stay in Chicagoland. That was a most fortunate decision as we have 9" down today already.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:29 PM

359 posts, read 1,143,827 times
DH and I drive on the regular from Charlotte, NC to ST Pete, FL . I drive the whole stretch since DH hates driving. It takes us bout 10 hrs. this includes stops for gas, potty, food..prob about 3 or 4 stops per trip. distance is about 600 miles. you should be just fine. just make sure you are well rested before the drive...

Old 12-26-2009, 10:49 PM

867 posts, read 2,138,890 times
16 hours and 10 minutes

Old 12-26-2009, 11:34 PM

111 posts, read 265,644 times
One time a roommate and I drove from south of Los Angeles to Colorado Springs in one stretch. That's about 1,200 miles in 16 hours, I think. I would not have wanted to do that on my own but I probably could in a pinch, especially seeing as how I drove about 80% of it. But normally I'll stop in Cedar City Utah for the night, which is about the half way point. I enjoy road trips but driving long distances in one day (say over 600-700 miles or so) is not something I'm into. I'd much rather stop around dinner time and relax and be refreshed the next day, even if it takes me longer to get there. But now that we have a 3 year old, 1,000 miles in a day car trips are out of the question anyway.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:42 PM

654 posts, read 3,455,726 times
As a semi driver I enjoy long road trips and make them as often as I can when I can get the time off. Earlier this month I drove up to Holland, Michigan and that took me about 19 hours for a 1,220 mile trip (stopped in IL along the way). I have made this trip many times before to where I know where I always stop for gas on each leg.

Unlike some who have significant others to help drive, I drive solo. It can be long for me at times but I have the stamina to keep going until I get to my destination. I have plenty of road entertainment (XM radio, MP3 player, CD's) to keep me going. When I make these kinds of trips I simply treat it as if I was going to deliver a load, with the exception that I do not have to worry about the DOT regulations nor HOS rules. And, I can drive faster (within the speed limits of course) and not have to worry about a governed truck.

Road trips have always been fun for me...i've driven to Cleveland to Houston many times at 1,300 miles, to NC and even SD. Gives you alot of time to think and to simply just enjoy the solemn moments, at least for those of us who are single like myself.

Main thing to remember on such trips is to be sure to get well rested, have everything packed a day or two ahead of time and loaded in your car the night (or day) before the trip so that you wont be spending your driving energy trying to pack things at the last moment. Plus, eating light foods on the way too helps as it keeps you alert. Heavy meals will only make you sleepy, and when driving long bare interstates for several hours (like I-57 going up through IL) it can make it worse.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:04 AM

16 posts, read 31,664 times
When I get in my vehicle I can go forever it seems. The last two years we headed to CO from MS in march. First time went 960 miles to Goodland KS before we stopped, and the 2nd time went 954 miles and went a different way and made it to Santa Rosa, NM. The 3rd longest drive was to Orlando and I went 740 miles. All these were only with stops to gas up and grab a bite to eat. I actually really enjoy all the driving and even if i'm with others I still remain the solo driver the whole way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel