U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 08:04 AM

792 posts, read 1,688,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
What about a 'chip clip' to keep the bags of snacks you buy along the way closed. (I'd leave the RainX behind and just squirt it good once before you leave.)
Oh yeah, a couple more things: chapstick and a pen and notepad and address book and maybe some postage stamps in case you want to send someone a postcard along the way.
Something else that you might already know-When I drive over the Rockies in Colorado, the elevation change pops stuff so be prepared for exploding chip bags, soda cans, and toothpaste (I put the tube inside of a baggie).
Have a safe and fun adventure!
Seashelly,

Dang, it looks like it was a good idea to post this thread. I can't believe how ill-prepared I would have been. All of these great suggestions are really helping out!!!

I NEVER would have considered the elevation changes and things 'exploding'. What a mess that would be!!! Thank you so much for the tip. I'll be sure to put that stuff in a seperate box or something. Do you think we'll have to worry about our bottled water exploding??

And you are correct in calling our trip an adventure. While my husband has traveled extensively, I've only ventured out to a few places, so this will all be new sights for me. It should be exciting!!! I'm looking forward to it all....in a terrified sort of way. hehehehehe

Thanks again for the tips. It was a big help.

Boof
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 08:24 AM

10,189 posts, read 25,240,274 times
As I am nearly out of clean clothes, and have a washer/drier at my disposal, I suggest a small quantity of detergent depending on how long you'll be on the road. I have to find a store to buy some now!

Old 05-22-2007, 08:56 AM

2,067 posts, read 5,413,798 times
A cooler for water, pop, or juice. Snacks. Audio books or favorite CD's. Umbrella. Good guide books. I like the 'off the beaten path' series, there seems to be one for every state. Oh, and a visit to the roadfood website and forums so you can find some good and not pricey local places to eat along the way!

Old 05-22-2007, 09:08 AM

75 posts, read 254,964 times
wet wipes. I wouldnt be stuffing the car full of stuff with pets along for the ride. Stop often stretch your legs buy a snack such as fresh fruit and dont drink soda's.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:12 AM

28,673 posts, read 41,224,099 times
Quote:
I like the idea of that Pocket Siren too. NEVER would have thought of that one. We'll have to see what we can find. But Tek-Freek, why would we need the extra locks at a Hotel??? (Can you tell I'm not a *seasoned* traveler?) hehehe
The extra hotel lock is for my wife's peace of mind when she has to travel alone. She's now in the habit and just always uses it.

I can't think of the name of it, but you can buy a spray that removes wrinkles from clothing. We used in Vegas one year. Goes on kind of sticky, but after you straighten the fabric it disappears and the fabric is pretty much wrinkle-free.

Binoculars, extra chips for your digital camera unless you can dump them into a laptop or other storage device, books on tape/CD - why not have someone read you a good story while you're traveling (another thing my wife does when she travels alone).

Organizers of some kind. I know this sounds obvious, but when we do our two week jaunts we find that having everything, and I mean everything, in boxes, totes, etc. makes getting into and out of hotels so much easier.

Don't leave anything in the car that would tempt someone. We left a blanket in the back seat that wasn't laid flat and had someone break out the window in Nashville thinking there was something under it. A couple that celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary left gifts in the back seat - all stolen. This was two blocks from the Grand Ole Opry House. The hotel management knew there was a problem in the area (been going on for a month) and didn't warn anyone. The police wouldn't do anything (wouldn't even send a car out) because it was on "private property". We don't go to Nashville anymore. There are other reasons besides just that. Not impressed in any way with the people I met there.

Digital recorder in case you want to make quick notes about a place or event and don't have writing materials at hand. Some digital cameras will let you make a voice recording with a picture when you take it. Might want to break out the manual and see if yours does.

Check that spare tire! Most people forget it.

Blankets. If you're like us she's cold when I'm comfortable.

Neck bones or something similar to support your neck. I use a pillow or a neck bone to support my right leg when I drive. I have more-than-usual problems from Polio. No braces, but weakness and a tendency to tire and cramp. A pillow makes a big difference.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:19 AM

2,489 posts, read 6,670,825 times
I would suggest taking allergy or sinus medicine. We made that trip twice once to California and then back when we moved to Texas. All the different climate changes stuffed everyone's nose.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:51 AM

Talking Thanks A Million!!!

Hi Gang,

Firstly, let me apologize for taking so long to respond to your much appreciated responses & suggestions. It's been pretty crazy around here trying to locate a rental home, and coordinate with family for one last get-together. Not to mention trying to find an Auto Hauler for one of our cars. Arghhhhhh!!!!! It's insane I tell ya!!! Oh, and let's not forget the bazillion phone calls to cancel services and give change of address info....Lord have Mercy.....Thank God we had our 'to do' lists made ahead of time.

Anyhoo, I want to thank you all for being so VERY helpful. You've all mentioned things I wouldn't have thought of, but would have been unhappy about forgetting. (Does that sentence make sense??) LOL

We'll be on the road for about 3-4 days...depending on how much we stop for sightseeing & pictures. (I'm so excited about that part) So, we'll need to take enough provisions to get us by for about a week, since we'll have to wait for the moving truck to meet up with us.

I do like the idea of that 'anti-wrinkle' spray, and the extra memory for the camera. Also the idea of the Digital Recorder, Allergy Meds, and Travel Door Lock. But honestly, all of your suggestions are fantastic!!!

We've gotten several guide books & maps from AAA, along with a printed route map. We got the wet wipes, organizer, blankets, pillows, cooler, bottled water and umbrellas. I also remembered to pack baggies for 'P**P scoopin' behind the dog.

Yesterday we had a LOF & tire rotation on the car, but you know...we forgot to have them check the spare. I'll have hubby do that before we go. It's a good thing we took it in too, because the front breaks were making a noise.....and we just had new ones put on 4 months ago. So, we got that fixed and should be good to go. We also got new tires, battery, belts, hoses, A/C recharged, etc, a few mos ago...so hopefully we'll do ok. Since it's only 3-4 days, it should be ok. Because you figure, if it can make it to & from work for a month, it should be ok for 3 days, right???

Anyhoo, thanks again to you all for helping us out. You've really shown us what a great little community we have here.

Hugs to all,
Boof

Old 05-28-2007, 03:35 PM

3,258 posts, read 8,182,483 times
My suggestions....

Exrra Batteries for whatever you have needing them
Emergency cell phone battery charger things
LOTS of water.
Atleast $10 in quarters for tolls or laundry or whatever.
Gas can...with gas in it
One of those flat tire repair kits
A hypodermic of adrenaline if anyone is allergic to bees or has major food allergy

Mmmmm. I'm still thinking.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
My suggestions....

Exrra Batteries for whatever you have needing them
Emergency cell phone battery charger things
LOTS of water.
Atleast $10 in quarters for tolls or laundry or whatever.
Gas can...with gas in it
One of those flat tire repair kits
A hypodermic of adrenaline if anyone is allergic to bees or has major food allergy

Mmmmm. I'm still thinking.
Thanks for adding to the list.....you make some good suggestions. The roll of quarters is a good idea...cuz of course with MY luck, I'd need 4 and only have three. LOL We've already added the batteries, and water...lots of it , and we're stocked up on the Allergy meds.

My SIL gave us a 'Travel Basket' that's got a TON of things we'll need for the trip....including the ever important 'Back Scratcher'. So, if we combine all the great suggestions you all gave us, we should be set. I'll be sure to let you know the ONE thing we forgot, once we get there. hehehehe Cuz I'm sure it'll happen. LOL

Well everyone, it's 8 days till D Day....keep your fingers & toes crossed for us. And for those talented ones....crossed eyes couldn't hurt.

Thanks again!!!

Boof

Old 06-23-2007, 01:39 PM

Talking We Made It To MO!!!!!!!!

To ALL who helped.....

On behalf of my DH Scooby and myself, I want to extend a great big THANK YOU to all of you.

Your support and suggestions were more than we could have hoped for. You really came through for us, and we appreciate your friendship more than you know!!!

We made it from CA to MO in 2 1/2 days, and because of you, we made it just fine. With all of your suggestions and recommendations and words of wisdom, we were prepared and had everything we could have possibly needed. Thankfully, the weather was good and the traffic was smooth, so we were able to sit back, relax and enjoy the sights.

I've been trying to think of something we may have forgotten, but I think between all of the posts...we didn't forget a thing. THANKS A MILLION!!!

Warm regards and 5 virtual rep points to you all!!!

Boof & Scooby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or