U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 08:45 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,617,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boof View Post
To ALL who helped.....

On behalf of my DH Scooby and myself, I want to extend a great big THANK YOU to all of you.

Your support and suggestions were more than we could have hoped for. You really came through for us, and we appreciate your friendship more than you know!!!

We made it from CA to MO in 2 1/2 days, and because of you, we made it just fine. With all of your suggestions and recommendations and words of wisdom, we were prepared and had everything we could have possibly needed. Thankfully, the weather was good and the traffic was smooth, so we were able to sit back, relax and enjoy the sights.

I've been trying to think of something we may have forgotten, but I think between all of the posts...we didn't forget a thing. THANKS A MILLION!!!

Warm regards and 5 virtual rep points to you all!!!

Boof & Scooby
Glad to hear you made it safe and sound. Did you end up where you planned? Have you found a place to settle yet?

I was thinking about this list that everyone put together, and thought about a few things I usually take with me when I travel. I take camping gear in case I end up camping somewhere for the night, instead of staying in a hotel or motel. I also take along snacks that travel well, but will suffice for a meal, if needed. Things like dried fruit and nuts, beef jerky, string cheese, and crackers are what I usually take. I finally saw spare batteries on the list, and a first aid kit. Another item that is good to have along is one or two disposable cameras, in case the digital doesn't work, or if you need film pictures in the event of an accident or some other event. When you travel, you can mail these in to have them developed, and they'll be in your mailbox soon after arriving home, if you plan things correctly.

I don't remember if pens, pencils, and paper were on the list, but they should be in any case. Another thing to think about is hobbies, or something to do during your downtime. Crossword puzzles, knitting or sewing, painting or drawing, or other diversions can be used to fill idle time, if you need something like that. Since I often travel with my kids, I like to take along travel games for them, too. Another thing to keep in mind is a field guide to plants and animals, in case you want (or need) to look up something you've found along the way. I also like to take travel guides to help me determine what interesting sights are nearby when I am traveling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 09:54 PM

3,359 posts, read 11,122,821 times
Well, I see you're there already but I'll add mine anyway.

I like to carry a nice fluffy washcloth which I keep in a zipped plastic bag. You can wet it down from your bottle of drinking water if need be but it really nice to have in your purse when you stop at one of those rest stops and they don't have any towels. Plus it much more cushy than those paper things.

Some CD's if you have a player in your car. I'm not fond of some of the radio formats you'll find around the country, especially when you can't get anything else. XM satellite radio is wonderful.

I never go anywhere without peanut butter and a loaf of bread. I also like to bring soft slippers.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:45 PM

792 posts, read 1,688,166 times
Thanks for the extra tips. It will be handy if someone else is needing a few helpful hints for their trip. Very nice of you.

jdavid93225,

We've been here for almost 3 weeks, and we've found temporary housing in the Republic area. We'd originally planned on staying in Hannibal for a while, but that didn't pan out. We really like it here, but we're still looking for a home to buy, so we'll see where that leads us. Otherwise, we love Missouri. It's just beautiful!!! (But I'll always be a CA girl at heart!!!)

Thanks,
Boof

Old 06-27-2007, 07:14 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,617,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boof View Post
We've been here for almost 3 weeks, and we've found temporary housing in the Republic area. We'd originally planned on staying in Hannibal for a while, but that didn't pan out. We really like it here, but we're still looking for a home to buy, so we'll see where that leads us. Otherwise, we love Missouri. It's just beautiful!!! (But I'll always be a CA girl at heart!!!)

Thanks,
Boof

Glad to hear that you made it and have found a home, even though it's temporary. I agree that Missouri is beautiful. I lived there when I was young, though only for a few years. I am planning to return there for a visit one of these years on vacation. I used to live in the southwest area, both in Springfield, and in Galena, near Table Rock Lake. Since I was pretty young when I lived there, I don't remember a lot about it, but I do remember that it was a very pretty area.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:14 AM

3 posts, read 11,041 times
Okay, this list has been good even for me to add on to my own and I've done A LOT of driving across country...but I didn't see on the list
-toilet seat covers

-toilet paper, believe it or not some places run out and don't "upkeep" their bathrooms as they should....(don't let it catch you after a BIG hamburger huh?

-Audio Books, Tapes(nothing like losing yourself in a audiobook while driving- before you know it and you're there!

-A camera and PLENTY of film! Nothing like "reflecting" back on where you've been.

-For me, when I traveled the "beautiful" and steep hills on the way to Virginia, I placed my Video Camera on the dash Board, turned the radio to some appropriate music station (classical, R&B, etc...on low and hit RECORD....when I got to my destination I was able to playback and listen to ME describing where I was and all, ....What a sight!

Old 07-25-2009, 08:44 AM
NCN

21,132 posts, read 22,488,311 times
Did anyone mention paper towels. I probably missed it. I pulled into a rest stop in Virginia and the couple in the car next to mine was trying to run back and forth to the rest room to get paper towels to soak up a large soft drink spill. I just tossed them my roll of paper towels from the back seat of my car. They almost hugged me. And yes, when traveling with a child that does not know how to adjust, toilet seat covers and never go without toilet tissue.

We are a member of a timeshare and great suggestions sometimes come in their newsletters. One of the best that I recall is to pack your clothes in a large cooler and then when you get to your vacation area, unpack your clothes and you will have a large cooler to have room for food enough for everyone for the beach or a long day trip.

BTW a lot of states have those horrible blowers that do nothing but seal dirt into your skin. I take more than one roll of paper towels. Picnic Table cloth is another favorite of mine. We have special needs for food and find it easier to eat at rest stops but I hate a dirty table.

I have always wanted to leave home with an empty suitcase and buy what I wear along the way. So twice as much money and 1/2 the stuff is a good rule. We are getting to be seasoned travelers, but we are going to be going North, so any suggestions for that would be good. Maybe we should just keep that for the Summertime, but when would that be. We ran into snow in Colorado in March, April, May, June and July. When do some places have Summer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or