Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:31 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times

Advertisements

What is to stop a terrorist from lighting off a bomb at 1 hour 10 minutes from landing instead of 1 hour? Some of these bureaucrats are dumb. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 11:04 PM

544 posts, read 1,526,925 times
LOL

Before long, passengers will be handcuffed in their seats from the moment the plane takes off.

P.S. A new generation of commercial planes will have this sign on the back of each seat: Toilet under your seat.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
LOL

Before long, passengers will be handcuffed in their seats from the moment the plane takes off.

P.S. A new generation of commercial planes will have this sign on the back of each seat: Toilet under your seat.
Meanwhile when we are flying around handcuffed to seats and whizzing all over the person in front of us since we can't take a pee, terrorists will be blowing up all sorts of other human targets instead.

We need nearly as much protection from our government as we do from the terrorists.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:29 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
What is to stop a terrorist from lighting off a bomb at 1 hour 10 minutes from landing instead of 1 hour? Some of these bureaucrats are dumb. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
You nailed it !

Whenever there is an airplane disaster/near disaster the govt tries to prevent another from happening in the exact way.

After 9/11 the buzz word was--" box cutters"

Now it's--------" an hour before landing"

Usually, the solution is just better enforcement of what already is in place ,but not enforced.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
You nailed it !

Whenever there is an airplane disaster/near disaster the govt tries to prevent another from happening in the exact way.

Usually, the solution is just better enforcement of what already is in place ,but not enforced.
I think 9/11 made it clear that as passengers we'd rather be carved up with box cutters and take that chance instead of going down with the ship. At least some of us.

I am ready to fight everytime I am on a plane and there are two thing I take on board that are completely legal and innocuous nor are weapons but can be used as such. I have them with me under the seat every time I fly.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:04 PM

588 posts, read 2,828,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
It's called "security theater". Most intelligent folks see right through it. The actions and requirements of the TSA cater to the less intelligent people who actually believe these asinine, totally reactive measures increase safety on their flight.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:33 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,995 times
Will there be a pee cup along with a vomit bag?

Old 01-05-2010, 01:10 PM

111 posts, read 435,445 times
It's very unfortunate that we've had to resort to rules such as this. This rule doesn't make anybody any safer. If somebody wants to blow up a plane, they can do it at any point during the flight and if they have a specific moment in mind, they can do it from their seat just as easily as when they're standing up.

The rule itself doesn't have much impact on me because I rarely get up during flights anyway, maybe once a flight and it's usually probably about 2 hours from landing. I can see multiple issues with this rule though.

1) What about the passengers with kids or medical conditions?

Kids often can't hold it and some medical conditions result in excessive trips to the restroom also.

2) Does the pilot now make an announcement that you're an hour and a half away and that you need to make your final trips to the restroom?

I can see a whole mass of people getting out of their seats and rushing towards the restroom. To me, this would be a bigger threat to security than a single person getting up and going in the final hour of the flight.

3) What happens if they announce that you're an hour out and that you can't get up to use the restroom, but then you're delayed for some length of time?

I've never been delayed for an extended time in the air, but I do know people that have. I realize that this may be an unusual situation today, it could still happen. So if this happens, then you could have to hold it a lot longer than you originally thought.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:43 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
I'm sure the latest talk about this inflight restrictions is just to discuss the general pros and cons of this type of restrictions. Since i know everyone checked it out and found it was a temporary directive which expired last year, 30 Dec 2009? Since all passengers have undergo the ehhanced screening, the in air restrictions were lifted. Some airlines have decided to keep the policy, as they can, but it is no longer mandatory on all flights. It was set up because other potential threats may still have been in transit. But since everyone who was traveling before the restrictions have finished their trip and all new passenegers are going through the enhanced screening, the restriction was no longer needed to deal with the threat.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:00 PM

544 posts, read 1,526,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

On 7/7/2006 there was a huge-scaled police anti-terror drill in NYC involving hundreds of police cars on the street, sirens, ..., because (according to a policeman participating the drill) on the same date exactly 1 year before (7/7/2005) there was the London bombing.

Since when did the U.S. police become so lacking in intelligence--rather, common sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel